ONE FOR ONE

They don't seem to know what they want. 12 steps were the focus going into Modernization, then just recently it was reverse fill. Now it's fill-to-capacity mancafs. If this is such an amazing idea that revolutionizes everything, why not just automatically drop those instead of the regular autofills?
They likely will be but they’re prepping stores now because if it was mandatory no one would finish and it would ruin metrics

Market has some of the largest 1for1s. The area typically sells more units then any other department; and so, for the most part, 1for1s are always going to be large because of the number of units going out the door. Fall behind a day—for any reason—and it starts to snowball pretty quickly. Always feels like the margin for error is pretty thin.

They knew stores weren't dropping mancafs under Modernization because of the immense workload most teams now face, so it was obvious to anyone with half a brain that dropping them now would result in absolutely massive batches.

So if they wanted to prep stores, why didn't they give stores more payroll to get over the initial hump? It's already documented that most stores, especially GM teams, are far behind in pricing and sets. That many stores end up rolling truck after truck. That stores have trouble completing just the regular autofills. BRLA across the board has tanked, as well as the number of audits being done -- problems that go hand-in-hand, as it's impossible to get an accurate count of nothing is located.

I don't understand how "but here's more work to do" is seen as a solution to any of the above problems, especially when there wasn't an increase of payroll to cover it.

Again, it just doesn't seem like they know what they're doing. It really doesn't. They're just throwing all this crap at us to avoid retooling the DCs.. but they're going to have to retool them at some point down the line. Why choose to play the waiting game and set stores on fire instead?
Ehhh do you really have facts to back that up? Sure stores are struggling but a wouldn't say the majority. 3 out of the 14 stores in my district are struggling and that’s because they’re the weird 50-60M range of stores that are busy but not busy enough to earn more ETLs or payroll. The rest of the stores are doing fine and no more behind than they were before. None of our stores are perfect but they’re definitely not all struggling and those struggling we’re having a tough time before modernization

Market has some of the largest 1for1s. The area typically sells more units then any other department; and so, for the most part, 1for1s are always going to be large because of the number of units going out the door. Fall behind a day—for any reason—and it starts to snowball pretty quickly. Always feels like the margin for error is pretty thin.
That's why you don't skip a day. Do them multiple times a day if you have to. We do them 2 or 3 times a day for each fill group and they are wonderfully low.

A call off and you’re screwed

Just be consistent with them and they get easier. Make sure anything you backstock has an accurate SFQ so it won’t pull the next day by mistake.
I've had this problem. I'm the toys DBO at my store, and I'll backstock something, and then pull it in the 1for1's for a couple days in a row. I'll know that there's no way it sold, just by experience, but it keeps having me pull it for another day or 2 after I backstock some. Ugh. So I've started immediatly pulling and then backstocking things I'm pretty sure won't go out. I'll try and be more vigilant about updating sfq/sfc, see if it helps.

1:1s have to be done every fillgroup everyday. It is like ripping off a bandaid. It sucks at first, but it gets better each day. My store used to have thousands of eaches in all 1:1s. It took a few weeks, but now they are tiny everyday. Autofills are now almost non existent since everything is on the floor. As a DBO, once you get your aisles full as possible it makes your everyday work so much easier! Think about your day if you had little to no batches to pull.

Like I said, it looks and feels daunting at first, but the strategy works and makes your job easier in the long run.

That's what the GM ETL says too . I believe you . I just wish there were an easier way I guess !
There is really no easy way besides doing it with a plan . Like I said I got the whole store on 1 for 1 in 10 days , it put me no1 in the district and no3 in region. But again it was done with utilizing the inbound team to do all the freight including repacks and I also convinced my SD to shut down Sfs for 3 days and I utilized those team members too . That’s the only way . For otc my first 1 for 1 was 560 with almost 9000 eaches that alone was 20 smart carts . Not easy but if your that’s what they want everyone needs to be on board to get it done.

Exactly. The SNCK guy has personal issues and takes two days off, now the manual is showing 400 DPCIs and 2000 eaches, on top of there being 3 U-boats of push that are now sitting on a monstrous pallet because Inbound needed the vehicles for unload. No one did your price change. No one stocked your endcaps. No one zoned your aisles.

And hey, the pallet of push that was left for you is sitting just outside your backroom aisle. Also, you can't use a vehicle because they're all taken. Oh, and your Zebra stopped scanning. Oh, and a call for backup! It's your turn, head on up there.
Market backs up? Not at my store the deal is gm and specialty backs up and market does all the bales .

They don't seem to know what they want. 12 steps were the focus going into Modernization, then just recently it was reverse fill. Now it's fill-to-capacity mancafs. If this is such an amazing idea that revolutionizes everything, why not just automatically drop those instead of the regular autofills?
I think it's cute how "zone as you go" was the most efficient thing, then it was "don't zone at all", now it's "zone before you do your pull!".

I think it's cute how "zone as you go" was the most efficient thing, then it was "don't zone at all", now it's "zone before you do your pull!".

We're back at "zone as you go." BTS f*cked up how everything looked so they started hounding us about zoning again

They're forced to prioritize what they get done. If they prioritize everything but freight, they come in the next day to mountains of it. Forcing them to drop manuals on top of that doesn't fix anything. It doesn't fix SFQs or OHs. It doesn't fix BRLA. It doesn't really fix anything, especially if there are no hours dedicated to it.

I do what I know how to do in what little time I have. I'm not going to bother starting other stuff because I know I'll never get even a small bit of it done along with other stuff. Might make me look lazy but f*ck it, who cares? I only get one day a week anyway!

We're back at "zone as you go." BTS f*cked up how everything looked so they started hounding us about zoning again
We were at "don't zone at all" until the HORRIBLE zones were caught during a visit, now we're at "zone in the morning for 20min" since that hilarious "business routines" thing came out.

I am in Style. I do 1:1 daily and over the last 2 weeks things get easier. Typical day for me is assess my ,department, 1:1, push truck, zone, and work on special projects - those wonderful VMGs and every 30 minutes grab reshop.

I've had this problem. I'm the toys DBO at my store, and I'll backstock something, and then pull it in the 1for1's for a couple days in a row. I'll know that there's no way it sold, just by experience, but it keeps having me pull it for another day or 2 after I backstock some. Ugh. So I've started immediatly pulling and then backstocking things I'm pretty sure won't go out. I'll try and be more vigilant about updating sfq/sfc, see if it helps.

My "best practice" to prevent this is updating the sales floor quantity after I backstock each item to match capacity. It helps. Also helpful is making sure your salesplanner capacities match reality.

No one is in my area on non-truck days beyond helping with reshop, and sometimes zoning and/or pulling Autofills.

Sometimes I walk into pure chaos after a day off or two.
- pulls done, but not worked
- ZERO 1 for 1s done = so I have to start all over with massive batches - this is the norm for my day off
- Terrible zone
- someone messing up my BR, backstocking things incorrectly
- piles of reshop/strays no one picked up
- items mis-stocked.

Last edited:
My store is all about the 1 for 1's. Zone first then 1 for 1's. On the two days off I have a week my 1 for 1's are pulled and pushed except for one time this past week where they were pulled just not pushed because the person who would have pushed them never showed up. As I backstock items I make sure all my quantities are correct for the floor just so I am not pulling them the next day.

If you do one for ones immediately after you backstock the one for ones you'll be able to spot the capacity errors.

rolling truck isn't necessarily a bad thing if you're completing the one for ones daily

Back