Archived One thing I never quite understand about Target....

Status
Not open for further replies.
After some 10 or 12 hour days I rather enjoy a 4 hour shift.

You must either be a etl or in a right to work state. NO one gets OT here. In the course of 6 months, I've gone from having to beg for a day off to having to beg to work more than 3 days a week.

I would welcome 12 hour shifts any day. I've gotten used to eating.

You must either be a etl or in a right to work state. NO one gets OT here. In the course of 6 months, I've gone from having to beg for a day off to having to beg to work more than 3 days a week.

I believe he is a TL, so he can only work up to 40 hours. If he stays over, then he has to cut his other days short so as to not exceed 40 hours. Nobody gets OT anywhere at Target.

Hours are tight that is true. One thing though I don't think a lot of people realize is that the stores do need to have enough people to cover vacations and weekends. Right now we are hiring simply because we don't have enough people to cover when team members need a weekend off. No one wants to work every weekend, so you need to have some one to cover. As a GSTL I loved the 4 hour shifts. If you have a call out, it is easier to get by without coverage for 4 hours than 8 hours. Not to mention how lunches and breaks kill the front end. On the salesfloor however I prefer to have team members for 8 hour shifts. They are more willing to really own an area.

nobody wants to work every weekend but there are some of us who get scheduled every weekend....I am getting tired/burnt out because of it,

i would love some time off. i am super burned out. what is supposed to be my slow time (the previous month or so) has actually been, "hey can you just do 1/2 the plano workload since we're scheduling them for 1 day per week and everyone is too lazy to edit your schedule so.....yeah, just do everything except what you plan on doing". it sucks. plus my store is one that gets absolutely destroyed on a daily basis in the brand so - job security is not something i really have to worry about in terms of having stuff to do.

We're on a big "no editing" of the schedule kick. Doesn't matter if it gets done or not, just no editing.

OCD is kicking in...driving me crazy to see all the problems that are being ignored.

I think it's completely wrong to schedule anyone for a 3 or 4 hour shift. It's just not worth coming in for that short of a shift.

Amen to this. I remember when gas prices were more than $4.10 in 2008. It cost me more in gas to get to and from work with my car, than I made per shift. Yay. And I didn't have the luxury of getting a fuel-efficent car. Public Transportation was non-existent as it was a semi-rural area.

We're on a big "no editing" of the schedule kick. Doesn't matter if it gets done or not, just no editing.

OCD is kicking in...driving me crazy to see all the problems that are being ignored.

oh I know all about that - my ETL has taken over the schedule, and given TL's permission to make their own edits. smh! So many errors - including 15 minute lunches.

Soon we will swing the other way - I hope.

I have seen several TMs that don't want any more hours because then they can't get their unemployment.....unreal

The extra 4 hours they get, that disqualifies them, will not make up for that unemployment check.

I have seen several TMs that don't want any more hours because then they can't get their unemployment.....unreal

Our state is one that lost fed $$ for unemployment extentions.
Gotta love the 'state of denial'.

Is it just me or has this past year just been really horribly terrible? I don't remember seeing it this bad before. Corporate's gonna have to open up the checkbook sooner or later, but knowing them it will be later, to show that they have no money..and need to borrow....from United Way...ha..that'd be ironic.

Is it just me or has this past year just been really horribly terrible? I don't remember seeing it this bad before. Corporate's gonna have to open up the checkbook sooner or later, but knowing them it will be later, to show that they have no money..and need to borrow....from United Way...ha..that'd be ironic.

They're a multi-billion dollar corporation. They've got plenty of $$$. What they need to do is dust off the cobwebs from the payroll wallet and give the stores more resources to work with.

Ouch...... They are cutting hrs left and right..... I was off for a few days because I was sick ( thankfully I wasn't scheduled) and next week's schedule for everyone is horrible ( I only work 3 days on the sales floor ouch) and the following week is horrible too and the sad part about it is we are going up for back-up cashier and they are short on the front end because they cut the hrs and people are irritated ( guests) GSTLs are irritated because no one from the Sales Floor is coming up..... I know every year is the same tune cut hrs blah,blah,blah but this year it seems like everyone is irritated. I know last year wasn't this bad I swear.......

You're right, it's getting more and more ridiculous! You can't run a store on the payroll hours they are allotting. Zones are going to h#%*, reshop gathers for days on end, and they are still pushing Monday's truck Tuesday night. Forget about people on the floor to help guests, or cashiers available to ring them up should they actually be able to find what they came in for. Not to mention the lack of equipment for people to properly do their jobs.

Amen to that......Lack of walkies, PDAs, I do not know where they go but they seem to disappear.........

Not all of the people who receive those lame 4 hour shifts are barely 18, irresponsible or have a horrible availability. I'm neither of those and I have open availability during this time. So it's Target beig dumb. Days like these, I try not to plan anything incase I get asked to come in earlier or extend, but I have to say no at times. I can't evolve my life around Target. If you know it's a weekend and it's bad, schedule me a long shift!

This. QFT.

I have open availability for everyday and I'm 19 almost 20, and I've only been at Target a week and my ETL love me to death because I'm a sweet young thing and I can sell anything to anyone. So, it's not because I'm a bad employee or because I'm young and my availability sucks.

nobody wants to work every weekend but there are some of us who get scheduled every weekend....I am getting tired/burnt out because of it,

Oh my gosh, this. The last year or so, people who have worked at my store for less time than me constantly complain about not having every other weekend off. Um, hello? I've been there nearly five years and I only get weekends off if I ASK for them. This has NEVER been upheld for me, no matter what (official) workcenter I've been in (cashier, sales floor, FRO, or photo) The summers of 2010 and 2011, I had five weekends off combined...and I asked off for four of them.

I suppose I should be glad they still uphold my Sunday morning availability, but who knows when that will go away. They've ignored it several times before until I said something, but I bet it's going to fall under the "partial weekend availability". I miss my old ETL who let me be unavailable Sundays for an entire semester. *sigh*

Oh my gosh, this. The last year or so, people who have worked at my store for less time than me constantly complain about not having every other weekend off. Um, hello? I've been there nearly five years and I only get weekends off if I ASK for them. This has NEVER been upheld for me, no matter what (official) workcenter I've been in (cashier, sales floor, FRO, or photo) The summers of 2010 and 2011, I had five weekends off combined...and I asked off for four of them.

I suppose I should be glad they still uphold my Sunday morning availability, but who knows when that will go away. They've ignored it several times before until I said something, but I bet it's going to fall under the "partial weekend availability". I miss my old ETL who let me be unavailable Sundays for an entire semester. *sigh*
We were discussing how some people get around the availability thing by being available crappy times on the weekend so that the TL who schedules doesn't schedule them....I told her to start scheduling one of them in her availability and let her hang herself by calling out on those days (she calls out nearly every Saturday she has been scheduled). We have a new attendance program where if you call out/don't show up for a certain percentage of your shifts per month you are written up...this would probably be move her toward final warnings.

It bugs me no end that they don't schedule people on the weekends because they call out

"we don't have enough money to give you more hours ... despite that you have ZERO conflicts ... but we can afford to put 5 people in electronics on the weekend because we're so damn worried about our service ratings ... and we have enormously overestimated the amount of sales we'll get on father's day weekend."

1) I would refuse to work a shift less then 4 hours(it is a waste of time in my opinion)

2) I would like to know why the "this is the time of year we cut hours" period of time has expanded from late January-April 4 years ago to late January-September nowadays. Basically now Holiday time is the only only time that hours aren't cut. I guess corporate ran out of gold to line their pockets while we are ridiculously understaffed and don't have the equipment to do our jobs.

1) I would refuse to work a shift less then 4 hours(it is a waste of time in my opinion)

2) I would like to know why the "this is the time of year we cut hours" period of time has expanded from late January-April 4 years ago to late January-September nowadays. Basically now Holiday time is the only only time that hours aren't cut. I guess corporate ran out of gold to line their pockets while we are ridiculously understaffed and don't have the equipment to do our jobs.

I've had people poo-poo this but I am dead certain the reason Spot has cut back hours so drastically is to pour money into the Canada expansion.

What I don't get is that Target will cut hours and benefits saying they don't have enough payroll. But they will build 2-4 stores more stores that are within 20 minutes of another and keep cutting payroll and keep hiring more people.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back