Archived One thing I never quite understand about Target....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the 'payroll is bad now' thing followed by '6 people in electronics on the weekend because we hired miserable people and our scores are pathetic.' ... Then, on nonweekends we have noone here, so things are stocked, customers get mad, it's fantastic.

I'm amazed that, despite the number of new hires that profess to have "wide-open" availability, they have a hard time scheduling RELIABLE TMs on any given weekend & the swap board is FULL of weekend shifts being offered up.

I didn't have many hours this week (just getting up and running) and would have happily jumped on any shift available for cashiering on Saturday. There were none being offered up. Go figure. Also no idea how I managed to get the 4th of July off!

I'm amazed that, despite the number of new hires that profess to have "wide-open" availability, they have a hard time scheduling RELIABLE TMs on any given weekend & the swap board is FULL of weekend shifts being offered up.

This so much. Whenever someone comes to me about hours the first thing I do is ask them what their availability is and if its open I take them to the shift swap board. Some people truly just don't think about it or have forgotten. Others just simply don't want those specific shifts and want to cherry pick while complaining they don't have enough hours.

When I was a TM I had to fight just as much for hours as anyone else. The way I dealt with dropping from 35-38 hours a week to 15 was being proactive by getting cross trained in every possible area I could, keeping an eye on the shift swap board like a hawk, and doing the best that I could so I would get recognized and my leads would WANT me working with them.

This so much. Whenever someone comes to me about hours the first thing I do is ask them what their availability is and if its open I take them to the shift swap board. Some people truly just don't think about it or have forgotten. Others just simply don't want those specific shifts and want to cherry pick while complaining they don't have enough hours.

When I was a TM I had to fight just as much for hours as anyone else. The way I dealt with dropping from 35-38 hours a week to 15 was being proactive by getting cross trained in every possible area I could, keeping an eye on the shift swap board like a hawk, and doing the best that I could so I would get recognized and my leads would WANT me working with them.

Must be nice. We don't have a "swap board". I just call in any morning I'm not scheduled.

When I first got hired ,I had open availability ,I mean 7 days a week ,from 4 am till midnight !
Guess what was my schedule?
Thursday,friday,sat,sun ,4.30 pm till 11 pm ,I finally asked 1 weekend off after 7 months of that crappy schedule ,and was given 8 days off.while other tm would get every weekend off,and work only 1 closing shift a week.
I handed my 2 weeks notice!
I came back ,wiser! My availability is 4 am till 3pm ,mon thru fri! And I get roughly 35 hrs a week.but I sometimes work weekends when stl asked,I know when she calls me early sunday morning,that sh*t is about to hit the fan ....
I cross trained,and take pride in my job ,because I enjoy it.
Today ,I cross trained in instock,and I can do plano,cashier,sales floor sl hl,electronic,flow,ad set,ad prep,guest service.

I didn't expect so many early morning shifts...I'm curious how long until I end up closing.

One important thing about being available & coming in when called: presence.
The more leadership that sees your face & recognizes you, you're on their radar & they're more likely to bring your name up (positively) when scheduling or filling gaps. They're more likely to direct HR to put you on more often or call you. I've seen it firsthand.
When you're global, you increase your chances even more.

Does Target have a reason for doing this or are they just dumb? It costs money to train new people, so
why hire a bunch of new ones when there are already people here (with open availability) begging for more hours?

I think it's completely wrong to schedule anyone for a 3 or 4 hour shift. It's just not worth coming in for that short of a shift.
I do think it's nice for Target; they can always ask those tm to stay longer or come in earlier.

I have been noticing that our store seems to be hiring many more team members and giving them all two shifts a week.
Then the team members who have been getting a decent amount of hours forever are getting hours cut.

IMHO, soon only the TL and ETL's will be able to get the insurance due to our average hours being so low.

During my first year, I was one of those cashiers who would only get one or two shifts per week. To be fair, I was still in school then and working another job, but my availability wasn't that bad. Now I consistently get 20-30 hours each week (which is good combined with my other job). And even though my primary workcenter was changed to hardlines, I still get scheduled 5 days a week, mostly cashing.

I have to say, an 8am to 11am cashing shift is for the birds. At least it frees up the rest of my day. Thankfully next week's schedule has me on at least 4 hours each shift.

To go off the not getting hours thing...the opposite happened to me yesterday and today. We finished our load and the next day's for price accuracy and the LOD let the other TM go, but kept me to work pulls...even though there weren't any. Same happened today, got way ahead (because tomorrow is going to be rough for them, and I'm SO happy I'm off), TL said she was going to go home early but me and the other TM had to stay until the end of our shifts.

Oh, I thought we were cutting hours? I am not letting anyone use that excuse on me for awhile. It's not true.

Your tl left early to save $$ on payroll. $17 an hour for tl vs $8 an hour for tm. In your case, it cheaper to have 2 tm's, than one tl.

I gladly put not donating on my United Way form.
I consider it insulting they ask us to donate to it when most of us can barely pay our bills it is basically a slap in the face in my opinion. I have a co-worker who even had their(I know their isn't grammatically correct but I'd rather not reveal gender to avoid being too identifiable) car repossessed

Does Target have a reason for doing this or are they just dumb? It costs money to train new people, so
why hire a bunch of new ones when there are already people here (with open availability) begging for more hours?

The same reason they fired a bunch of good teachers at my high school during my junior year(I am out of college now) It costs less to pay newbies than it does to pay TMs who have been there a while and have gotten raises.

As Vince McMahon would say...
[video=youtube_share;WdUVKP58g5g]http://youtu.be/WdUVKP58g5g[/video]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back