Archived Only one day of training?

Status
Not open for further replies.
so today was my first day of training (and my only day of training). It was for four hours. 3 hours reading stuff, 1/2 team leader demonstrating how to use the cash register in training mode (for a group of 6). Only 1/2 hr was used for cashiering, where each new team member had to be alone with no help. I saw my schedule for this week, and there was only training for one day (today). I was hired for sales floor, but I never got training for it. Next week's schedule says the time and on what area I will be (Hardlines sales floor), but it doesn't say it is training. The team leader said that today's training of 4 hours is supposed to represent 14 hours of training. WTF? So i got no training for sales floor at all, and only received 1/2 hr for cashier training.

WTF? So i got no training for sales floor at all, and only received 1/2 hr for cashier training.

This is normal. If you were hired for a workcenter other than cashier, one entire training shift is devoted to cashiering. You start sales floor stuff in future shifts.

WTF? So i got no training for sales floor at all, and only received 1/2 hr for cashier training.

This is normal. If you were hired for a workcenter other than cashier, one entire training shift is devoted to cashiering. You start sales floor stuff in future shifts.

But I didn't even get one training shift for cashiering. I only did 1/2 hr cashiering and that is all I will have. My next shift is to work on hardlines. Well someone from the new group has it worse though, she will be exclusively a cashier and she also only got 1/2 hr training. I will only be cashiering for backup.

But I didn't even get one training shift for cashiering. I only did 1/2 hr cashiering and that is all I will have. My next shift is to work on hardlines. Well someone from the new group has it worse though, she will be exclusively a cashier and she also only got 1/2 hr training. I will only be cashiering for backup.

That was your training shift for cashiering. You should've had more time actually working on register, but every store handles training differently. The best way to get comfortable on the register is to practice, so respond to back-up calls often so you can get more time on the register. Your co-worker is lucky because she'll always be cashiering, so she'll get comfortable with it more quickly.

"3 hours reading stuff"

That was likely considered training as well.

Training's rarely very ideal at my store either tbh. I was supposed to train a new cashier today, I never even so much as spoke to her because we had the food Ave TM call out (on her 4th day working here....that bodes well) so I wound up spending 5.5 hours at Food Ave.

Were you hired as Seasonal or Regular? Seasonal training got slashed big time. I mean....why spend all this payroll on a team member who is probably only going to work about 80 hours in their 90 day period?

Just wonder around the sales floor looking lost. Then when a guest asks a question just do a zombie-like grunt or pretend you didn't hear them. Sometimes hiding in the backroom helps. Don't use a walkie either - tell them you weren't properly trained on it so you don't want to be held responsible for breaking it or saying inappropriate call signs. However, do get a WAVE key. Who doesn't want to ride that bad boy around?

Seriously - just ask your TLs or other TMs for help. They should be helpful and willing to show you the ropes. You'll catch on quickly. Good Luck!

Last edited:
I mean....why spend all this payroll on a team member who is probably only going to work about 80 hours in their 90 day period?

80 hours? Our seasonals work a hell of a lot more than 7 hours a week.

My cashier training was literally this:

LOD to Me: "Can you cashier Saturday at 8?"
Me to LOD: "I can learn, but I've never been trai...."
LOD to Me: "Don't worry about it, it's easy. You just have to watch the screen. Thanks!"

I show up that morning and the GSTL showed me how to do the basics, which was about 5 minutes of walking through everything, explaining the alcohol policy, taking me to TSC and having me do a quiz regarding the alcohol and what not, and saying "watch her(while pointing at a cashier) for a few minutes until you are comfortable and then jump on lane 8". I was cashiering by 8:45.

It was terrible for about two days but it got better. Flow team training was non existent apart from what I learned in orientation. It was more or less me trying to figure out how to stock an item and then asking anyone else how to do things. I didn't see the back room/receiving until my first day. Training has improved a lot since I've been working there, though.

I mean....why spend all this payroll on a team member who is probably only going to work about 80 hours in their 90 day period?

They way payroll has been lately, I wouldn't be surprised if they have minimum hours until Black Friday or Christmas Eve

They way payroll has been lately, I wouldn't be surprised if they have minimum hours until Black Friday or Christmas Eve

My store has the hours, they just aren't giving them away until the very last minute.

I trained six cashiers at once last week. We spent 1.5 hours going over basics in training mode; then I had them shadow our regular cashiers. Within 30 minutes, they were taking turns with guests under the eye of the cashier. Within an hour, they were on their own registers with a GSA hovering to answer questions. Three of them got REDCards on their first shift. I started as a seasonal cashier and got 20 minutes of training and then put on a green (grocery side) checklane the week before Thanksgiving. What didn't kill me made me strong. ;)

Really low volume store? We seem to have the hours, I've got 37.25 hours next week, 35 hours this week, 34.75 last week, 40.5 the week before, 39.75 before that, and 38 before that. I think only our GSTL gets more hours than me, but I don't think any cashiers are getting less than 20-25 hours unless they have limited availability.

I just had my orientation on the 29th and my first day, which was an 8 hour shift, I spent about 45 min getting register training. (I'm in consumables which I learned pretty much means I do whatever needs to be done in hardlines.) My previous job was cashiering at another retail location which I had my last day the previous week so I'm pretty familiar with working a register. I'm surprised reading this tbh. On my first day, I was sent to shadow one team member but she didn't really do much to help me. She left me with a flatbed of toys in boxes and her PDA when her shift was over. Another team member found me looking lost and helped me the rest of her shift which I was so thankful for! She left me with her walkie when she left then I was sent to zone with a third team member in candy til my shift ended. And even today, I was sent with another team member to shadow him again, reshopping and whatever the term is for pushing stock from the backroom to restock the floor, and I was with him my whole shift.
(I'm not seasonal. Regular hire.)

cashier training for me was solo.

1hour reading/ training register. Quiz for 5 min. Shadow other cashier for an hour. Work cashier for final 2 hours with the person I shadowed right there to help me.

Im a cart attendent though so. I would assume thats what how it should be done. Not sure why it is ever different.

Last edited:
You would think a big corporatio like Target would actually train their new team members properly but I have come to learn this is the least of their concerns.
I got a total of one hour of training and basically taught myself until I found this web site for us.

You would think a big corporatio like Target would actually train their new team members properly but I have come to learn this is the least of their concerns.
I got a total of one hour of training and basically taught myself until I found this web site for us.

Training costs labor hours which equals money.
Cutting training equals short term savings that puts in the pockets of people who don't care about the long term health of the company.

I'm about to finishing my last day of Cashier training tomorrow (3 days total). My first day I was assigned a trainer, but since it was 7/3 it was pretty busy since July 4th immediately follows. After about a half hour of little explaining and lots of observation, I was put on the register and observed. When I was stuck they showed me what to do. For 15 minutes I had to push carts because the cart attendant wasn't there but that was fine. There were 2 instances (1 on my first 2 days) where I had to deal with cash, and I hit K1 for cash, and then Enter (a little too quickly) because I didn't realize the register was working and did recognize the command the first time. So I did mental math, and it happened that the first guest actually was testing me because they already knew how much change to expect and was impressed that I actually did it right.

Our store trains with the slingshot method: fire it at you & see what sticks.
Pretty much what happened with me, was thrown into the thick of it during BTS. Didn't even get computer training when I was apparently supposed to.

Your supposed to get computer training? :eek:
I was told I completely skipped computer training for hardlines apparently. Dunno if it was just spill safety and shit or not, but apparently?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back