Operations Manager Intern

Hello everyone!

I just received word that I landed the operations manager summer internship for my local Target distribution center. I had a few questions that I hope someone in here might be able to answer regarding transitioning to a full time OM after the internship. I am still deciding whether this would be for me or not and was hoping someone would be able to offer some of their experience.

1. Is around $90 thousand a year a reasonable amount for a new OM to make coming out of college. I live in a moderate to high COL area and already have 4-6 years of previous professional experience in leading teams for a little background information.

2. Does anyone know what the standard benefits package might look like for an OM in terms of PTO and how much they may pay for health insurance for a single person.

3. Realistically how many hours would I be working a week. I've read that there are times that outside of my normal working hours I would need to pick up other OM's shifts if they are sick or on vacation, would I be additionally compensated for that or would I just need to suck it up and accept that it is part of the job.

4. And finally what does the actual time frame look like on average from going from an OM to Senior OM.

Thank you guys so much and I look forward to possibly working with some of you!

I think you are getting ahead of yourself.

I assume that you won't even start until May and it is only ten weeks.

Look at this internship as a learning opportunity but also use your experience there to look at other companies too.

Good luck.

PS Do some research on what a Target OM makes.

Last edited:
Hello everyone!

I just received word that I landed the operations manager summer internship for my local Target distribution center. I had a few questions that I hope someone in here might be able to answer regarding transitioning to a full time OM after the internship. I am still deciding whether this would be for me or not and was hoping someone would be able to offer some of their experience.

1. Is around $90 thousand a year a reasonable amount for a new OM to make coming out of college. I live in a moderate to high COL area and already have 4-6 years of previous professional experience in leading teams for a little background information.

2. Does anyone know what the standard benefits package might look like for an OM in terms of PTO and how much they may pay for health insurance for a single person.

3. Realistically how many hours would I be working a week. I've read that there are times that outside of my normal working hours I would need to pick up other OM's shifts if they are sick or on vacation, would I be additionally compensated for that or would I just need to suck it up and accept that it is part of the job.

4. And finally what does the actual time frame look like on average from going from an OM to Senior OM.

Thank you guys so much and I look forward to possibly working with some of you!
You would probably get an offer between 80-85k

Pto, I believe is 3 weeks plus 7 comp days for holidays

A key om’s work roughly 44 hours in 3 days and b key om’s work roughly 50-52 hours in 4. If you agree to fill in outside of your normal shift, you would get a different day off that week. I have never had to do that.

I wouldn’t plan that far ahead.

Back