Archived Other Tasks In A Regular Shift Constantly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

soyaxo

So-Called Something Or Other
Edit for clarity: I transferred stores for some time, and noticed some things that wouldn't fly at my home store.

Every single shift, I will have to go for back-up cashiering for an extended period of time multiple times lately. Of course, it is nearing fourth quarter, so it makes sense. If I wasn't the only one going for back-up all the time, it would make more sense. I like cashiering, however, so I don't mind. No one else volunteers, so I eventually offer to go up. Other TMs in Softlines get smaller zones (I had three yesterday (Men's/Intimates/NIT) and worked a bit in Active and Hosiery as well on top of cashiering, sorting a full foreign/defective cart, and watching the busy fitting room for about 45 minutes. I also had to take a lunch. With assisting guests included, I felt quite rushed.

I've mentioned the ways I've been feeling about being given more tasks than others to my TLs and they say I'm doing fine with finishing on-time, but it's more frustrating with other TMs in my workcentre. I asked a TM to help me zone Men's clearance. She said she would, but at the end of the night I saw she never did. Another TM offered to help me clear a cart of large items for go-backs. She never did. It was getting late, so I decided to take my lunch before it would affect the time we would get out. I got back, and zoned in Infants whilst the MBTM kept nonstop checking up on me on walkie. However, the LOD said I was doing fine and to keep working through. I like to make things nice. I wasn't able to perfectly WAVE zone last night, but I feel best when I'm working to set adjacencies, have time to complete go-backs perfectly, and am able to organise hanging articles. With three zones, I know it's not possible, though.

I heard the Electronics TM walkie dying so I offered to trade him batteries so I would have a dying battery walkie, lol. It shut off within five minutes. Finally, I had some peace. I went to zone Men's clearance, and heard both TMs gossiping. I thought they saw me until I heard the MBTM say, "And soyaxo just left these go-backs!" I was so angry. She had one-zone (And the other TM helped her zone!), less go-backs, and was able to stay in her area all night without disruption, because she seemed to be able to stay on walkie all night yelling at me. I stayed folding the bottom of the licensed tees table until I was calmer, and stood up and said, "I'm right here folding the clearance tables." She pushed the go-backs away and worked them out without saying anything. They consisted of baby (HBA here), Infants and Intimates.

Once I finished up, I went to help finish the cart and she was talking to the other TM and mentioned "Well I'm a mentor(trainer), so I mean...." and then proceeded to put baby powder with diapers. Leadership chose more official trainers, and because of my availability, (as in, I will be returning to my home store quite soon) I was not chosen. That does NOT mean I am going to put shit in the wrong spot to finish quicker! WTF! I guess the only thing I can really do for now is CMA and stay communicating to leadership. I work with my ETL tonight, and I usually don't, so I'm hoping that by actually closing with her, we'll be able to talk about everything more in detail instead of for a few minutes every once in awhile... Hopefully. I was chatting about frustrations with last night's GSTL and she mentioned that I should consider cashiering every once in awhile since I like it, and letting the sales floor "brats" deal with their issues by their selves. I wouldn't mind doing that.

Does anyone else have TMs like that? Quite frustrating..

Update: Last night was my last day at this store! I'll be back at my home store and couldn't be more excited to return... Having a new perspective changed things.

Last edited:
My whole building is full of those folks. Thanks for helping electronics tm out. I would help soft lines out too.
Thanks for your efforts & hard work.

I agree with HR Zone.. Always remember your primary workcenter that you are placed at for your shift and do your duties of said workcenter. Wherever you are placed, you will be asked to do something else for another workcenter at times, it's just the nature of what we do...In regards to the other tm's, they are everywhere.. Ways of dealing with them is to confront them on said issues, or bring it to the attention of your leadership team.

Oh @soyaxo ...I probably could've written your post myself. Luckily I've made my way mostly out of softlines. I'm scheduled there no more than twice a week, if that. It's too much for me, and I feel like the tms are just too gossipy and bitchy. I agree with your GSTL, a change of pace may make things better for you. These days, I'm working all over the store in different areas and its been a nice break.

All I can say is "Welcome to Target, where your hard work is often rewarded with more hard work.".

If you're having a difficult time completing your tasks when you volunteer to run register, stop running register. Very rarely has volunteering led to desired outcomes at Target.

Try working instocks.... My God were able to do our job sometimes. Depending on the lod we might get pulled to work reshop, flow, backstock, zone random areas, push the fdc truck, cashier, bring in shopping carts from outside, oh and by the way we need you to get this all done and scan the whole store for the weekend. What you need more hours to get it done? No. Also we have to take on the ptms at my store, with no increase in hours no matter how big or small they are.

I also realize that that comment probably made it seem like I hate my job... But I don't. I enjoy it, a lot. But it can be frustrating. You just have to overcome, show them you can take the workload, and succeed

Tell the GSTL your situation, walkie them to channel 4 and explain or tell them. They'll make other TMs help or get their TL's to make their team members to help,

My store has gotten really bad, with all the hours being cut, everyone is always just on a check lane backing up. If you aren't on a check lane all you are doing is reshop... even the TLs are fed up with it as they have to do reshop all day, but when shit falls apart its blamed on them for not doing their tasks.

A strategy I used to employ was to go up a few times, and if I noticed other TMs not responding (in my own department) to call out "I've gone up the last x times, can anyone else in hardlines respond." Usually gets a response from my team and occasionally other areas.

This!

A strategy I used to employ was to go up a few times, and if I noticed other TMs not responding (in my own department) to call out "I've gone up the last x times, can anyone else in hardlines respond." Usually gets a response from my team and occasionally other areas.
I wish that was the case, but not when my store has no TMs on the floor to begin with

I can just imagine me saying something like that..I'm way too shy. :-( When at work, I've only ever said "Hey y'all I have five zones to do and I'm on the other side of the store in RTW, is there someone who could get that call button in Seasonal?" on channel one. Even that made me feel bad. I will try, though. I won't be back at my home store till October anyway.

This is becoming a big issue at my store. People are constantly being pulled for other projects (by ETLs who are not LOD at the time), then catching flack from their direct TLs/ETLs for not finishing their own tasks. This is all a prime example of Target's fabulous communication skills at work. To avoid any such flack, I basically hit ETLs with the ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ when they start ranting about not having enough people on the sales floor, all of their TMs being on backup all day, etc..

I have to finish MY work first, then maybe I can squeeze in some time to help with YOUR work. Maybe.

I have to finish MY work first, then maybe I can squeeze in some time to help with YOUR work. Maybe
Yep that's exactly how I do it.

Oh you want me to go do x task? Well I need to take my lunch pretty soon and after that I still have a ton to finish up in ship from store. If I finish before I have to leave I can definitely do it, but it will be at least a few hours if at all.

Being in a workcenter with multiple metrics tracked daily helps a lot...

Yep that's exactly how I do it.

Oh you want me to go do x task? Well I need to take my lunch pretty soon and after that I still have a ton to finish up in ship from store. If I finish before I have to leave I can definitely do it, but it will be at least a few hours if at all.

Being in a workcenter with multiple metrics tracked daily helps a lot...

Sure, I'll zone chemicals if you find someone else to finish the push and backstock and do all the SPUs. Oh wait, nobody else knows how to make a bale?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back