Archived Our New In-Store Policy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone explain to me just exactly what Spot's angle is on these almighty Red Cards? Are they charging the banks to be linked to an account?

Can anyone explain to me just exactly what Spot's angle is on these almighty Red Cards? Are they charging the banks to be linked to an account?

Customer loyalty is what they tell us. However the real answer imo is 20% intrest. Plus they can keep track of what you buy.

In my store getting a red card makes you a super hero, everyone cheers on the walkie (so tacky) and it's pretty much the only way to get a personal reward. I work my butt everyday but if I ask how I can score a cute doggie I'm told to get a redcard. Really?! I am not even trained on the register. One day I'm just going to stand by the lanes asking everyone no signs will get done but I'll have my fancy Bullseye doggie.

Customer loyalty is what they tell us. However the real answer imo is 20% intrest. Plus they can keep track of what you buy.

In my store getting a red card makes you a super hero, everyone cheers on the walkie (so tacky) and it's pretty much the only way to get a personal reward. I work my butt everyday but if I ask how I can score a cute doggie I'm told to get a redcard. Really?! I am not even trained on the register. One day I'm just going to stand by the lanes asking everyone no signs will get done but I'll have my fancy Bullseye doggie.

People tend to buy more when they have a card according to the statistics.
Now there's the whole causality thing going on there, do they buy more because they have a card or are they regular customers so they are people who buy more?
The interest only works on the credit cards and they are actually a smaller percentage of the cards that go out from what I understand.

The big deal seems to be the tracking.
They even half-way admitted it when they were talking about the strengths that Spot had against other stores.
The store rep said that Target would be focusing on things people shopped for and how do you do that without the information from their shopping habits?

Commie, if they wanted it for just tracking purchases, why not offer a rewards card? They have to be making mega bucks somewhere on the credit and debit card.

It's not just for tracking but that's a major component.
A rewards card is useful only to that point but this gives them more access.
Online shopping, sometimes who you're shopping for, income levels, all kinds of stuff that they wouldn't necessarily know with a rewards card.

Instead of paying fees to the other institutions for every card swipe (visa, mc, Amex, discover...) when a guest uses a Redcard there is no fee since they are owned by target. Target takes that gain from not paying the fee and turns it into the 5% savings for guests. The catch is that it promotes guest loyalty and guests who shop with a redcard spend a crap-ton more. I know I do. My ytd savings so far is almost $60...

They are wanting cashiers to be confident sales people. Being decent at sales can be learned but it still takes the right personality, not to mention some kind of compensation for the extra effort. I have seen high level red card producers actually offered interview (and get much better jobs) based on the redcard pitch they threw at the right person at the right time. My point is they are wanting cashiers to deliver a skill valued highly by other sectors, for pennies on the dollar, putting a lot of pressure on people who have no idea how to deliver what is being asked.

I wanted to exchange an exact item but different size. I had purchased 2 days earlier with my target debit and had my receipt. Tm couldn't figure it out and called over the gsa. She asked me for identification, so I showed her my license. I have no idea what she did. Something that I thoughf would take 5 minutes, turned into 15. What kind of return could be any easier than the exact same thing, different size. Target sure doesn't make it easy.

I wanted to exchange an exact item but different size. I had purchased 2 days earlier with my target debit and had my receipt. Tm couldn't figure it out and called over the gsa. She asked me for identification, so I showed her my license. I have no idea what she did. Something that I thoughf would take 5 minutes, turned into 15. What kind of return could be any easier than the exact same thing, different size. Target sure doesn't make it easy.

What? You had the receipt and it was the same thing, just different size? Target makes it plenty easy, and I would have had you done in 30 seconds, tops.

I would like to write to Mr Cornell and ask him what is the strategy for this nonstop harangue about red cards. I work in F R and I feel very bad for everyone up front. We are all trying to earn our paycheck, and everyone in our store talks up the red card ( and it's very awkward to do on the floor), but it gives Target a used car lot vibe. Can I write to him? What do you all think? I would do it in a respectful way. I don't want to jeopardize my job.

I dont cashier SO I don't have to worry about the whole red card thing...I will say this though...I couldn't do it . I couldn't sit there and ask guess after guess just hoping they say yes...so my ass doesn't get in trouble. So, I will say this once again... cashiers have my respect...I just couldn't do it . Everyone, wants to keep saying that its such a huge part of a cashiers job...they knew what they were getting into when hired....is this really true? were they told that if they don't get red cards they will be harassed no matter how well they perform their other tasks? Were they given the whole story...or just enough so Spot can claim they told them during the interview ( Spot is good at that). Everyone wants to fuss about the damn red card and once again...how its part of the cashiers job...lets talk about the etls, stls, srtls, tl, job....lets talk about how they stand around all day gossiping...lets talk about the hr/etl...who when you go to him with an issue...five minutes later he is in a corner with the etl YOU had an issue with telling him what you said....lets talk about the srtl who just because he doesn't like certain ppl ( personal based...not based on job performance)will cut their hours and treat them like shit. So maybe just maybe if Spot focused as much on how their "leaders" acted in the building as they do red cards...things wouldn't be as bad as they are . Practice what you preach

AMEN, AMEN, AMEN!!! HIGH FIVE!!
This is SO true! In my almost 9 yrs with Target, I've overheard so many inappropriate conversations between leaders (of all levels) talking about TMs in very bad ways. Also, don't they know when they're on the floor you can hear conversations the next aisle over??? Dumbasses.
I've had SO many leaders cross my path and most of them I just had to wonder HOW they got a leadership position??? They were immature, lazy, sneaky, mean (think Marine background!), just plain stupid, etc.

I would like to write to Mr Cornell and ask him what is the strategy for this nonstop harangue about red cards. I work in F R and I feel very bad for everyone up front. We are all trying to earn our paycheck, and everyone in our store talks up the red card ( and it's very awkward to do on the floor), but it gives Target a used car lot vibe. Can I write to him? What do you all think? I would do it in a respectful way. I don't want to jeopardize my job.
You could write to him from a guest's perspective and not mention that you are an employee Team Member.

You could write to him from a guest's perspective and not mention that you are an employee Team Member.
I like this idea. What if you said you were a guest who was sick of being harassed for a credit card EVERY time they shop at Target? Say that it inspires you to give Walmart your money, instead. I swear many guests have said these things to me in the past-luckily I don't have to push redcards anymore due to being in Starbucks.

Just did some online research of the almighty "Red Card". The debit card is linked to your banking institution, therefore when used, Spot is not charged the swipe fee. But the transaction may take 2 or more days to process through.
The credit card on the other hand is a nasty beast to say the least. Spot has many complaints about their billing practices and late fees on top of late fees, even when the balance has been paid in full. Not to mention a high interest rate. End result passing a lot of people off, and driving business away. Go figure...

I have been with Spot for a number of years. I am a cashier. I ask guests if they would like a RC. I have many repeat guests on a daily basis. Many of these guests already have the RedCard. How then am I supposed to get these cards?

Some of my guests I know from coming thru my line already have the RC. Why must I ask them to get a RC if they already use it? I think that I am as tired of asking about RCs as guests are hearing us ask.

The RC guest spends 4 times the amount of money as a non-RC holder......this is why Spot is so intent on the RC.

Oh, did I mention that the average RC holder make 22 more trips a year than the non-RC guest?

With these two facts then do you realize how much more money a RC holder spends in a year? THIS is why Spot wants to get as many RCs as possible. This is why they push us so hard. Sometimes I wonder....if RC users come to the store so often and spend so much more money, then why are the "treats" for RCs so small?

I ask guests about the RC and, if I am lucky I get two cards a week (I average close to 30 hrs/week).
So, I am there enough hours to get the RC.....but if many of my guests are repeat guests then the chances of getting a RC seems slim. I wonder then why I am told...."oh, you are a Target veteran....so it should be easy for you to get a RC."

Why am I getting grief from my GSTLs if I am asking?

The other day my SsGSTL asked me what kind of items would motivate me to get a RC? My answer: getting guests to say "YES!" to the RC.....well, the SrGSTL wasn't really thrilled at my answer, but he did understand it and he laughed. The point is, if I am already asking guests, what is the point of a reward if I can't get that "YES, I'd love a RC" from that one guest every shift?

We have one LOD that says that getting a red card is "the luck of the draw." I wish more LODs could see that.

OK...some of this is just "general junk" from a cashier....but it is honest "junk!"

Rant over.....for now.

The only time sales floor at my store is ever "expected" to try and get RedCards was the one time at a Monday morning huddle where the STL mentioned "so seasonal set recently and if a guest is purchasing any of the patio sets remind them about the RedCard"

and that was it. No nagging. Thank god

I remember asking a GSTL "What do you all intend on doing when everybody who wants a RedCard has one? I mean at some point there'll be a cut off point where nobody is going to be wanting one" and her response was "no but there's so many people I doubt we'll get to that point"

ok

The only time sales floor at my store is ever "expected" to try and get RedCards was the one time at a Monday morning huddle where the STL mentioned "so seasonal set recently and if a guest is purchasing any of the patio sets remind them about the RedCard"

and that was it. No nagging. Thank god

I remember asking a GSTL "What do you all intend on doing when everybody who wants a RedCard has one? I mean at some point there'll be a cut off point where nobody is going to be wanting one" and her response was "no but there's so many people I doubt we'll get to that point"

ok

You might want to run this off her and ask again.

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/m/marketsaturation.asp

@Kick Shot The Target credit card is TD Bank USA, N.A., a national bank, not an affiliate of Target. Target does not do the billing its done by TD bank. Target has to pay them a fee of some sort, just like they have to pay the banking institutions a fee for the debit card. I'm sure it is a lower fee than what Joe Blow Retail store would pay, but they still have to pay something.
As far as the late fees, they are no different then any other retailer credit card fees. The percentage is always higher on store credit cards as opposed to Visa/MasterCard/Discover/Am Ex - and in my opinion any interest fee is to high.

So if a guest is complaining about billing and fees, You can let them know that it is done by TD bank as stated on the application booklet they were given when they got the card - though I'm sure that is not something that Target would want us to say.
When a guest is giving me a lot of heat about fees and the practices of Target, I will take an application out and say, lets look at this together because I don't have the credit card so I never read all the fine print.. They usually end it there, but I make sure I offer them an application booklet.

Maybe Target does get some kind of kickback for any accrued interest that guests have on the cards, otherwise I have no idea why they want us to push it so that we sound so completely pathetic and desperate.

Basically at my store EVERYONE has to try and push REDcards. If a guest is just asking where the bathroom is ask him if he would like a REDcard and tell him about the benefits. Before all of this we were like 2nd or 3rd in the district. Now we are dead last! I sometimes get called to cashier and I hate it! It reminds me of working at Best Buy back when you had to push their credit card and...magazines! I hated that and guess what? They don't do it anymore! It frustrated me most knowing the higher ups got a bonus for however many magazines we got so that's why they pushed so hard and we cashiers never saw any of that money and it's unfair. I liked my first retail experience where I wasn't pressured to sell credit cards and I was literally just a cashier.

If you see they already have a RC, ask if they'd like to save five percent today by using it.

Awareness goes a long way.

I liked my first retail experience where I wasn't pressured to sell credit cards and I was literally just a cashier.
That's what I've found now and damn it I'm gonna keep it until I can finish school and get a job in my field. If I ever have to go to a different retail job I'm gonna ask some of the employees how hard management pushes bullshit like credit cards, because unless the pay is substantially higher than average, the stress just isn't worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back