Archived Over your shoulders overnight

Status
Not open for further replies.
I came in to my early morning shift last week and there were people dressed in regular clothes with PDAs (Their own PDAs, not the rugged ones we have) basically following TMs' every move, tapping on their PDA, walking behind them, tapping, stalking, tapping. I asked someone who works the overnight shift and these people were apparently timing them! Does this happen routinely or is it a special event?

man i'd straight up pull out my cell phone and use the stopwatch to time them trying to time me.

If it wasn't up to par i'd bust out my jack black impression.....

"you're judging yourself quit judging yourself your chi is in the wrong part of the universe that's why your pda keystrokes are sluggish you need to visualize, visualize yourself operating your timing routines flawlessly"

Idk lol

You didn't hear? It's a new variable for calculating the speed scores!

They where at our store about two weeks ago. Its an outside group measuring for efficiency.

I LOVE that they are doing this. Many of the goal times prescribed by corporate are not realistic. If they can get a good average for how long it actually takes to complete projects perhaps goal times will reflect this.

If they can get a good average for how long it actually takes to complete projects perhaps goal times will reflect this.

Nah, that would be the logical response & we all know that spot is ANYTHING but logical.....

I'm confused as to why people seem to think this is a bad thing.

So we spent a little money to have outside observers come in and confirm what we've been telling HQ all along--WE DON'T GET ENOUGH HOURS! At least this shows that HQ is hearing what we're saying and is making the effort to see if there's really a problem.

Unless the stores that are being observed are filled with slackers, I suspect this will turn out to be a good thing, not a bad one.

They should have been with us trying to set Small Appliances today. UGH. 5 hours per POG my ass.

^^^ you really think that is the nature of this beast? That Target is spending money to have a consultant tell them they need to spend more money on things like expenses and equipment???

I'm sure no matter what data these people gather, target will spin it to make whatever conclusion they like.

So we spent a little money to have outside observers come in and confirm what we've been telling HQ all along--WE DON'T GET ENOUGH HOURS! At least this shows that HQ is hearing what we're saying and is making the effort to see if there's really a problem.

Unless the stores that are being observed are filled with slackers, I suspect this will turn out to be a good thing, not a bad one.

They should have been with us trying to set Small Appliances today. UGH. 5 hours per POG my ass.

Sadly I think the results will be more along the line of changing the way a few things are done and then cutting hours because they will be more efficient. For example when they had us reprofile the bulk area in the backroom from all bulk to lower half upper case pack and upper half bulk and declared it would save us X amount of hours a year that were then taken away. Never mind the fact that it saved no hours at all. I think they know the workload is more than the hours they give and I honestly do not think they care.

Been @ bullseye over 20 years - EVERYTIME these yahoos show up, less hours for the tm, every time. Can processes need to be more efficient? Sure - but we still don't have enough product on the shelf for the guests for this weeks or next weeks sales. So many times guests think we are trying to play a shell game by putting an ad together that brings them in for nothing.

Efficiency consultants, huh?

bobs.jpg

It would be nice if the observers actually reported back that the stores needed more hours to accomplish the tasks set out for us and that the expectations from Spot are unrealistic and unreasonable considering the circumstances but it would also be nice if Spot provided decent health insurance and a living wage.
Really none of that is going to happen.

^^^ you really think that is the nature of this beast? That Target is spending money to have a consultant tell them they need to spend more money on things like expenses and equipment???

I'm sure no matter what data these people gather, target will spin it to make whatever conclusion they like.

You are right. Target will make the numbers say what they want them to say and then tell the TM's that "we confirmed everything with an outside company." This can't be a good thing for hourly workers.

I am seriously thinking about hanging it up with Spot.

Aaaaand the HQ perspective on this conversation:

"No matter what we do, they think we're out to get them and cut their hours. Every single time. Ya know what, fine. **** it. That's what we'll do then. Serve the assholes right."

You can ask anyone who's worked with me, I'm the last person who would EVER be accused of drinking the Target Kool-Aid... but come on. This negativity is astounding--and coming from me, that's saying a lot.

Aaaaand the HQ perspective on this conversation:

"No matter what we do, they think we're out to get them and cut their hours. Every single time. Ya know what, fine. **** it. That's what we'll do then. Serve the assholes right."

You can ask anyone who's worked with me, I'm the last person who would EVER be accused of drinking the Target Kool-Aid... but come on. This negativity is astounding--and coming from me, that's saying a lot.

you probably own a lot of target stock or are currently being overpaid in a leadership position that does very little. :)

Actually, I don't have a stock portfolio outside of my 401K, and I have that set to automatically move me AWAY from Target stock every month, so I generally own none or very close to none; I'm one of the lower-paid TLs in my building; and, while I wouldn't want to put words in anyone else's mouth, I'm absolutely certain none of my team members would tell you that I "do very little." Nor would my team members from the two remodels I've run, nor would my team members from previous workcenters, etc. etc. (Not to mention peers, execs, TLs I've trained for other stores, blah blah blah...)

I'm the first person at my store to question why we're given 200 hours for Presentation when the Adjacency Calendar says 400, or why HQ thinks we can afford to have someone stand by the door all day every day without giving us extra payroll for it, or whose bright idea it was to route the majority of mySupport requests to another continent, etc. etc. Like I said, I'm not one to drink the Kool-Aid.

I've just been around long enough (almost ten years now) to know that whining and *****ing isn't going to help, and that sometimes they really are trying to make things better. All I'm saying is that, from their perspective, why should they even bother trying if the team is going to assume the worst all the time?

i've learned at my years at spot that if you give positive feedback on best team surveys, chat sessions, etc, then they just take that as a greenlight to cut cut cut. Being negative and upset seems to discourage them slightly. Same thing in this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back