Archived Overscheduled & outside availability (Just a rant in the end)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! So I am a college student + sales floor TM. I started school this week actually. I saw my online schedule recently, and I am way over scheduled then I would like. I submitted my School Availability to them in July and was approved. They've been following it for the last two weeks now, which is good. Now to the problem, I said I wanted 16 hours as the maximum number hours worked in a week. I noted I was flexible given a couple hour over it if they really needed it. So my situation is that they've given me 25 hours in total next week. Almost all of my shifts are closing which, hello? I am in school. I need that time to study, and so I put a few nights to leave early. This leads to on a particular day my availability is 3PM - 9PM. But instead they have me working 3:15PM - 11pm. I thought it would have been reasonable to have this one day of the week to leave at 9PM, but no. Plus, it's a cashier shift. I will admit that I dislike those shifts, which makes it that much more unpleasant to see on my schedule. So I did call my HR and I told her my situation. I told her how it makes an inconvenience in every way. A little note, I have had this problem with other retails and so I have a lower tolerance for it. School is first priority and I don't want Target to walk all over me. I told her that someone needs to at least take part of the shift. I said I would compromise with it, but I can't do all the work finding someone myself since this is not all my fault. I put my shift on the Swap Shift Board, but I am so pessimistic about it. I am pretty frustrated about it. Since the shift is next week, I will call this Friday to check in on it. I am just having some pretty vicious thoughts about it. Ive thought about walking out at 9PM that day or even calling in. Keep in mind, I am just speaking in the heat of the moment. Doesn't mean I will actually do it, but I am in college and I need time to soak in the knowledge and study. Plus, I don't want to hear how much of a bad idea it is from different people continuously. If any of you have some sympathy for me or have any suggestions for me, feel free to post.

someone did some edits to your schedule. Talk to your etl ot l without delay with a copy of approved availability changes from July. If you are under 90 days, spot kind of ignores that stuff.

Last edited:
To clarify, what is spot? I'm such a noob xP

Update: While the HR woman (who admittedly made my schedule) did not actively help me out this morning, I made a call not too long ago to talk to my ETL. I told her my concerns, and she understood and changed my hours to within my availability. She had told me that it was purely a mistake. But also that that day (09/01) would be busy for the last minute school shoppers. I feel guilty for overreacting and maybe for being so needy too. But thanks Hardlinesmaster for posting. It pushed me to make that phone call.

Don't worry about being needy, but don't be too flexible, either. Most leaders would rather have limits like "I will literally turn into a puff of smoke and cease to exist if I work one second past 16 hours per week or after 9 any night" rather than "well I'd like to work around 16 hours but more is okay sometimes as long as it's reasonable and please take into consideration that sometimes I have early morning classes and don't schedule me more than like, two or three thursdays in a row because my dog might graduate high school and sometimes when I work before 3 in the afternoon I get the meat sweats but don't worry too much about that unless it happens during the late spring and I'll need either the 21st or the 22nd of each month off for the death of a family member and a few other things I'll get back to you about later if they become problems."

In my case I demanded one set weekday off per week and a maximum number of hours per week. Beyond that they can do what they like with my schedule. This way Spot and I both know what to expect and I almost never have to call out unless I get really sick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back