Archived Overwhelmed Seasonal hardlines newb!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! So basically I ended up getting only 1 short shift of training, and my next shift (which isn’t until a week from now.. wth man?!) I’ll be all on my own. I’m feeling pretty nervous for it because I still have so many dumb questions running through my head. I feel like I’ll be good at this job once I get the hang of it but right now I feel a little lost and confused.

1. When zoning, am I expected to grab the reshop cart for that area while I zone.. or is that a separate task that the LOD will ask me to do?

3. At guest services, what am I supposed to do with the defective/damaged items I found?

4. I don’t quite understand the red phones. All I was shown was a button to press that clears it.?

5. When should I expect to be trained for backup cashier?

Any tips for zoning would be super awesome :oops: :D

1.) I don't grab reshop while zoning. Zoning alone takes a lot of time. If you're asked to reshop, you won't be asked to zone typically.
2.) I tell the GSA that the item is defective and they deal with it.
3.) There is a button on the side of the phone that you can use to clear it. You can also pick up the phone and wait for the lady to talk and hang up I think.
4.) You should be trained for cashier on your first day or shortly after that.

1.) I don't grab reshop while zoning. Zoning alone takes a lot of time. If you're asked to reshop, you won't be asked to zone typically.
2.) I tell the GSA that the item is defective and they deal with it.
3.) There is a button on the side of the phone that you can use to clear it. You can also pick up the phone and wait for the lady to talk and hang up I think.
4.) You should be trained for cashier on your first day or shortly after that.

Ahh. Alrighty, Thanks!!

1. When zoning, am I expected to grab the reshop cart for that area while I zone.. or is that a separate task that the LOD will ask me to do?

Usually, zoning and re-shop are done separately. Check with your TL or the LOD to see what they want you to do.

3. At guest services, what am I supposed to do with the defective/damaged items I found?

Make sure a service desk TM knows that they need to be defected out. Or ask someone to show you how to process defectives so you can take care of it yourself. (I generally have to handle my own defectives because our service desk team is not always reliable.)

4. I don’t quite understand the red phones. All I was shown was a button to press that clears it.?

If you're talking about clearing the call button requests, it depends on which phone system you have. In one system, you press the small button on the side to clear the indyme. In the other system, you pick up the phone, wait for the automated voice to start talking, and hang it up to clear the indyme.

The actual call buttons are a little bit simpler. To clear those, push back on the clear plastic part at the top until the red light stops flashing.

5. When should I expect to be trained for backup cashier?

Ideally, cashier training should be done in your first training shift. If it hasn't been done yet, make sure your leaders are aware that you're not trained on the register yet so training can be arranged. If you have to use a lack of training as an excuse not to respond to back-up, your leaders aren't gonna be happy.

Everyone has answered your other questions pretty well, but I want to elaborate on #1 a little. Processes and expectations vary store to store, but I'll tell you what works for me. At my store, every team member is assigned a block of aisles (one person in the A aisles, one in the B aisles, etc.)

If you're working dayside on a weekday (less guest traffic, zone doesn't need many touch-ups throughout the day), the focus is usually on strays and projects. If you're spread thin on people then you could be running strays for multiple blocks. Zoning is done on an as-needed basis. A TL or ETL will usually tell you to touch up an area, but feel free to take initiative if you see a noticeable mess.

Working on a weekend (zone needs touch-ups throughout the day so it doesn't look like a shitshow) or as a closer at my store, like I said, every night a team member is assigned to a block. They're responsible for putting away strays for their area and for having their area zoned at the end of the night. When you're experienced, you can actually do both at once. You would wheel your cart of strays around and when you get to the next aisle to zone, give your cart a glance and see what strays of yours go in that aisle. but! This requires a general feel of which items go where to be done efficiently (otherwise you waste lots of time digging through your cart and scanning stuff) so when you're new, do your strays as they're given to you and zone in between. Doing strays will help you get to know the store better, and your full attention in between can be focused on your zone.

Awesome, thanks so much for the input. :D starting to feel less nervous now~

Every shift will be better, for the most part.

Last edited:
Ask your fellow TM's questions too, if your store is like mine it gives barely anytime to train.. I am actually surprised training on a register wasn't the first thing you did...

I understand your pain, I am often thrown a new Market TM to train, and I feel bad because not only do they have to learn all the Hard-lines process, but they also have to learn the whole Market process. It makes it VERY VERY easy for me to forget something (like how to clear a call box lmao).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back