Archived Paternity leave for a non biological parent??

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my boyfriend and I both work at target. I was pregnant before we got together and he intends on being the acting father/support person. When he called pay and benefits he they didn’t ask if he was the bio father and said he is eligible for 2 weeks at 100% pay. Do you think they will ask if he is related by blood? Will he need to prove that to get paid? I wouldn’t think so because of LGBT parents and adoptive parents and whatnot being eligible but I wasn’t sure 🤔 Anyone been through something similar?

You should be covered by the domestic partner. Ask your hr, for sure. I am not too sure on the 2 weeks pay part, it is unpaid leave. 7150 7151

I wonder if the real biological father gets any benefits, or if he/she is just stuck with child support and bitching for the next 18 years. What a waste, what a shame.

So my boyfriend and I both work at target. I was pregnant before we got together and he intends on being the acting father/support person. When he called pay and benefits he they didn’t ask if he was the bio father and said he is eligible for 2 weeks at 100% pay. Do you think they will ask if he is related by blood? Will he need to prove that to get paid? I wouldn’t think so because of LGBT parents and adoptive parents and whatnot being eligible but I wasn’t sure 🤔 Anyone been through something similar?

I don't think they'd DARE ask for blood evidence but they might ask for birth certificate with his name on it. That would be reasonable but for two weeks off, I'm not sure you want the potential repercussions of that (i.e.: bio dad won't have to pay child support, etc.).

Think carefully about this as a tiny blip could cause a domino effect that's not desirable.

Congratulations on your new little one and I wish you much happiness!

🍼

I would think to be eligible for parental benefit- he would need to be married to you or registered domestic partner- step father. Adopt the baby- adopted parent, or be placed on the birth certificate legally considered natural parent. I think the relationship has to be a legal one either to you or the baby not just one of convenience. I believe he also has to have accrued either vacation and/or sick if he is to be paid unless there is some specific state law that applies.

I would suspect that would not fly as he is probably not adopting the little one.

On another note, on the form it says you can ask for 2 separate weeks or 2 consecutive weeks. Does that mean you could ask for any 2 weeks? So let’s say one week when born and then like Christmas week. Just curious how that works.

Week of Christmas. Lmao!!
I called the benefit center and they said for paternaty leave you get 2 weeks paid off and must be taken in 1 week incriments before child turns 1. So theoretically, you could take thanksgiving week and Christmas week off and get paid. Also, you get 14 additional weeks of fmla that you could backfill with vaca.

To the op, I asked (even though it isn’t my situation) and they said no go unless he adopts the child.

I think a lot of these type of benefit questions are dependent on the state you live in and the local and state laws. FMLA is a federal law so that would apply regardless. You need to follow up with you HR department because while paternity leave may be company wide I'm not sure about the paid time is universal.

Are males allowed in the Female bathrooms?
Yes but only if they are males that identify as females. Or if they are females that identify as males who identify as females.

I remember the good old days when picking a bathroom used to be straightforward and easy 😔

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back