Archived Paygrade Info

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted this question a while ago, but there were no responses. Perhaps an HR guru could chime in. Other than the obvious differences in starting pay, are there any other reasons for the various paygrades? Do different paygrades accrue vacation or personal time differently? Does it affect merit increases? What is the purpose of the paygrade other than as a classification for starting pay for a particular type of job?

as far as merit increases, the only difference would be when you would top out - but they are all proportional anyway.

Vacation and personal hours are based on average hours/length of service. The longer you have been with the company, the more vacation you can accrue each year and the higher it can go before you stop accruing.

each job has it's core roles - does that answer the question?

as far as merit increases, the only difference would be when you would top out - but they are all proportional anyway.

Vacation and personal hours are based on average hours/length of service. The longer you have been with the company, the more vacation you can accrue each year and the higher it can go before you stop accruing.

each job has it's core roles - does that answer the question?

No, sorry it does not. Each job in the store is assigned a pay grade (i.e. salesfloor tm is paygrade 3, instocks is paygrade 5, flow is paygrade 7,etc.) Other than the difference in the base pay (typically each paygrade receives an additional .25/hour starting wage - Let's say that a person is brand new to Target and can choose ANY job. Paygrade 3 would be minimum wage (base), paygrade 5 would be base +.25, paygrade 7 would be base + .50, etc.) I would like to know if there would be any other differences (besides wage) that START at a different level (and accrue at a faster/slower) rate as you increase paygrades. I really only wanted to know from a compensation stand point. I understand that every job has different core roles (I've had many different ones in my 10+ years).

Example: Employee X goes from Flow team to Cashier. Paygrade drops from 7 to 3. This would result in a .50/hour decrease in wage. Does anything else change regarding compensation?

The only thing that affects accrual of vacation/personal time is full/part-time status. Part time status, AFAIK, begins accruing personal time at 1000 hours worked. That's what was explained to me.

Paygrade doesn't affect personal time.

To my knowledge, there is no difference in the other forms of compensation. Should just be pay per hour.

Other than the obvious differences in starting pay, are there any other reasons for the various paygrades? Do different paygrades accrue vacation or personal time differently? Does it affect merit increases? What is the purpose of the paygrade other than as a classification for starting pay for a particular type of job?
Paygrades do NOT impact the rate at which you accrue vay-cay or PH; the rate of accrual depends on how many hrs you work.
Paygrades DO impact merit raises & pay levels (ie: if you're stepping down from a higher grade, expect an hrly/paycut; if moving up, expect an increase).
The amt of your merit raises will depend on your paygrade.
And, yes, paygrades do serve as a starting point for particular jobs.

Thanks everyone. One more clarification please: When one says that paygrade affects merit raises, are you referring to differences in percentages for scores for the different paygrades or just the fact that percentages will be based off of the higher base pay?

Merit raises are based on your performance review. The "grade" you get for your review will correspond to a percentage-increase of your pay rate. The percentage is locked across the board - no matter what paygrade you are, the percentage is the same.

Paygrades do NOT impact the rate at which you accrue vay-cay or PH; the rate of accrual depends on how many hrs you work.

I definitely earn one more week of vacation a year than do my Team Members with the same number of years of service. So, in the sense that TLs are at different pay grades than TMs, you actually could look at it as pay grade affecting accrual rate.

I definitely earn one more week of vacation a year than do my Team Members with the same number of years of service. So, in the sense that TLs are at different pay grades than TMs, you actually could look at it as pay grade affecting accrual rate.

It may be because you are a TL, not necessarily because you're at a different paygrade.

It may be because you are a TL, not necessarily because you're at a different paygrade.

...Yes, that's exactly what I said.

And since TLs are at different paygrades from TMs, you can look at it as the paygrade causing the difference--paygrades 3/5/7/9 accrue at the standard rate, while paygrades 11/13/15/17 accrue at the standard rate plus 1. Like I said, it's just one way you can look at it.

(I wouldn't be surprised if, on a technical level, this actually IS the way the payroll system handles it. It's a lot easier to code it to check paygrade--which has only eight options for hourly employees--than position/job code, of which there are dozens of possibilities.)

Do different paygrades accrue vacation or personal time differently?

Yes. And your years of service will influence the amount you will accrue for vacation and personal hours. Best bet is to call TMSC to find out what your rate of accrual is for those two.

Yes. And your years of service will influence the amount you will accrue for vacation and personal hours. Best bet is to call TMSC to find out what your rate of accrual is for those two.

OK, I understand about TL's getting more/different/better bennies due to the fact that they are in a management (albeit non-exempt) position. What about different paygrades for tm's?

...Yes, that's exactly what I said.

And since TLs are at different paygrades from TMs, you can look at it as the paygrade causing the difference--paygrades 3/5/7/9 accrue at the standard rate, while paygrades 11/13/15/17 accrue at the standard rate plus 1. Like I said, it's just one way you can look at it.

(I wouldn't be surprised if, on a technical level, this actually IS the way the payroll system handles it. It's a lot easier to code it to check paygrade--which has only eight options for hourly employees--than position/job code, of which there are dozens of possibilities.)

When I was PG 13 before being officially a TL, I did not get the extra vacation rate or holidays until I was officially promoted to a TL.

When I was PG 13 before being officially a TL, I did not get the extra vacation rate or holidays until I was officially promoted to a TL.

Interesting. So they do it the inefficient way. Shouldn't be surprised, I guess.

Thanks for the info! (That's a pretty unusual situation, too, by the way. I've heard of it happening, but never actually known anyone in person who was in that situation. Everyone I've known personally who was signed off but not given a position immediately didn't get the PG13 bump while waiting.)

Interesting. So they do it the inefficient way. Shouldn't be surprised, I guess.

Thanks for the info! (That's a pretty unusual situation, too, by the way. I've heard of it happening, but never actually known anyone in person who was in that situation. Everyone I've known personally who was signed off but not given a position immediately didn't get the PG13 bump while waiting.)

There is 1 TM position that is PG 13, which is Pharmacy Tech. On a side note, I was temp promoted to TL, and while my job title and pay reflected my TL position, my vacation and personal time accrual did not change until I was offered and keyed in a permanent position. Also to the OP vacation and personal time are the same for all TMs (With same years of service). You can find out your specific accrual rates by calling TMSC, or visiting targetpayandbenefits.com .

um, the only place on my check stub it lists the DC number is on the front cover, I'd scan it in but to much identifiable information

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back