Archived People of the Front End lend me your ears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I've felt as if I have been busting my ass for my team since day 1. I'm a hard working cart attendant and take my job and responsibilities serious. Lately our store usually gets like 10-20 red cards a day. Since April-May we have been getting close to 2-5 a night. I respond to code when needed I have green speed scores and per week i service 80-100 guests. As much as I am helpful for the past year I have been working at Target you could count my career total of redcards on one hand. Closing GSA said that they would start coaching people if this keeps up. When she told me this I sort of started feeling pissed/disappointing because as much as I exceed expectations I could potentially receive a coaching for something like this and myself I feel like this is unfair. I understand the stores need for red-cards but some people just don't have the knack for driving conversion. What would you do in my situation? Also we dont have a GSTL so who would do the coaching ETL-GE/Softlines or some random TL from the sales floor.

This is the action of a leader who lacks the skills necessary to motivate or properly train their team. As a GSTL myself now I'd never outright threaten my whole team with coaching unless I had exhausted all other avenues of training, recognition, and motivation. I'd see it as more a failure on me for not finding the symptoms of the problem and correcting them one by one until its no longer an issue.

More than likely your lead is getting their ass chewed by their etl so they're stressed and resorting to scare tactics.

Well, I am a GSTL and I can tell you how I hold my team accountable around conversion...

First of all, its important that each TM knows how conversion is scored... This is essentially how I explain it to each TM, "You know those yellow screens that pop up and ask if they would like to sign up for a Redcard? Those are called prompts, and they are markers for Target to measure how many people go through our lines that *could* sign up... These will be large orders or orders paid in cash or check and won't prompt if they use their redcard to pay! This specific person doesn't have to sign up to count for any score, its just an indicator to measure our traffic... This is fair to the individuals because if you are on express or on a day that already has alot of redcards being used, you won't receive many prompts! Now each Redcard is worth .5 out of the 100 prompts you receive... So if you count out 100 prompts, which takes a few weeks to get to, and you have 1 Redcard app, its a .5 conversion, 2 would be 1.0, 3 would be 1.5, and 4 would be 2.0... The goal Target has set as bare minimum for everyone to perform at is a 1.2 or 2-3 redcards for every 100 prompts..."

I then go on to explain where they stand, a goal for them to reach and what it would take to get there, and better ways to ask... I also ask if they want more training around the redcard and if they would like to shadow someone with green conversion to see how they do it...

Conversion isn't going away, and honestly the goal of 1.2 for every cashier isn't that difficult to achieve! I think its important to build your team up in this way, because if you just use games and prizes to drive your conversion score, the team will be built around thinking conversion isn't apart of their core roles, and require prizes to always perform!

Well, I am a GSTL and I can tell you how I hold my team accountable around conversion...

First of all, its important that each TM knows how conversion is scored... This is essentially how I explain it to each TM, "You know those yellow screens that pop up and ask if they would like to sign up for a Redcard? Those are called prompts, and they are markers for Target to measure how many people go through our lines that *could* sign up... These will be large orders or orders paid in cash or check and won't prompt if they use their redcard to pay! This specific person doesn't have to sign up to count for any score, its just an indicator to measure our traffic... This is fair to the individuals because if you are on express or on a day that already has alot of redcards being used, you won't receive many prompts! Now each Redcard is worth .5 out of the 100 prompts you receive... So if you count out 100 prompts, which takes a few weeks to get to, and you have 1 Redcard app, its a .5 conversion, 2 would be 1.0, 3 would be 1.5, and 4 would be 2.0... The goal Target has set as bare minimum for everyone to perform at is a 1.2 or 2-3 redcards for every 100 prompts..."

I then go on to explain where they stand, a goal for them to reach and what it would take to get there, and better ways to ask... I also ask if they want more training around the redcard and if they would like to shadow someone with green conversion to see how they do it...

Conversion isn't going away, and honestly the goal of 1.2 for every cashier isn't that difficult to achieve! I think its important to build your team up in this way, because if you just use games and prizes to drive your conversion score, the team will be built around thinking conversion isn't apart of their core roles, and require prizes to always perform!

I hate the concept of building a culture of prizes for doing your job. My last store did this terribly. So whenever prize budgets run out and your conversion tanks because your team thinks they don't have to get red cards unless they're getting rewards...for doing what they're getting paid for in the first place.

Conversion isn't going away. Quite the opposite, its going up. I've been told 1.7 will be the new goal which our store adopted a few months back as an unofficial goal. Building a strong team through real recognition and adequate training will be so more valuable to you than what can be achieved with "bribes".

My GSA told me out of 100 I should be getting 10. Which Im pretty sure was a wrong statement.

Also the thing is that they didnt even start pushing conversion untill the star Red Card app cashiers quit and now we are hurting.

My whole thing is that penalizing the people who main jobs is not cashiering does not seem right.

Last edited:
My GSA told me out of 100 I should be getting 10. Which Im pretty sure its wrong.

4.5% isn't outlandish. I maintained around a 10% conversion back in electronics. Mainly because I didn't ring up nearly as many people back there and it was usually high dollar stuff when I did so that made it easier. But for a CA 4.5% is doable. You should strive for that. Be an example for your team.

4.5% isn't outlandish. I maintained around a 10% conversion back in electronics. Mainly because I didn't ring up nearly as many people back there and it was usually high dollar stuff when I did so that made it easier. But for a CA 4.5% is doable. You should strive for that. Be an example for your team.

I'm going to attempt at making a strive for better conversion this week....

As much as I am helpful for the past year I have been working at Target you could count my career total of redcards on one hand.

Sounds like me, except I cashier way more than you do (I'm supposed to be Hardlines now but I only ever get cashing shifts). I'm lucky if I've gotten 10 Red Cards since I started in the fall of 2010. I can honestly say that I try to get apps - I ask every guest (even if they're just buying a pop), I pitch the Check Card to those who don't want to open another credit card, I tell guests about the Take Charge of Education and Pharmacy Rewards, etc.

It's plain and simple: people don't want to open Red Cards!

And here's something to think about. Not that it would ever happen, but what would Spot do to the conversion goals if every guest had an active Red Card?

Re: coaching - If you don't have a GSTL, then your ETL-GE would most likely do the coachings.

To clarify what others are saying... If you have less transactions (a cart attendant is a good example), then you require less redcards to be green! You only need 4 redcards out of 100 prompts to be a 2.0... Many people don't even have 100 prompts for the year at my store... so if you get a few you could have a great YTD conversion so far! Some cashiers may have 1000 prompts so far, so a few redcards won't impact it that much...

Sounds like me, except I cashier way more than you do (I'm supposed to be Hardlines now but I only ever get cashing shifts). I'm lucky if I've gotten 10 Red Cards since I started in the fall of 2010. I can honestly say that I try to get apps - I ask every guest (even if they're just buying a pop), I pitch the Check Card to those who don't want to open another credit card, I tell guests about the Take Charge of Education and Pharmacy Rewards, etc.

It's plain and simple: people don't want to open Red Cards!

And here's something to think about. Not that it would ever happen, but what would Spot do to the conversion goals if every guest had an active Red Card?

Re: coaching - If you don't have a GSTL, then your ETL-GE would most likely do the coachings.

Its all about the prompts... You are talking about a store's penetration rate for redcards... If 10% of all your transactions are paid for with a redcard, that is 10% of your transactions NOT causing any prompts... If your penetration rate is 50% then that is 50% of your transactions not causing prompts (and therefore requiring 50% less redcards than a 0% penetration on average)... Also this number might even mean more than we think! If your penetration rate is 50%, that 50% might be all of your loyal guest who purchase large orders... the other 50% might be composed of your small orders that will have a smaller prompt rate... meaning you might require even LESS than 50% if that makes sense :p

Its all about the prompts... You are talking about a store's penetration rate for redcards... If 10% of all your transactions are paid for with a redcard, that is 10% of your transactions NOT causing any prompts... If your penetration rate is 50% then that is 50% of your transactions not causing prompts (and therefore requiring 50% less redcards than a 0% penetration on average)... Also this number might even mean more than we think! If your penetration rate is 50%, that 50% might be all of your loyal guest who purchase large orders... the other 50% might be composed of your small orders that will have a smaller prompt rate... meaning you might require even LESS than 50% if that makes sense :p

Don't worry, it does make sense. But what I'm talking about is Spot's tendency to raise the conversion goals when it becomes more difficult to get guests to apply. If every guest had a Red Card, then it would be impossible to get anyone to apply, which would result in much higher conversion goals because of the geniuses working in Minneapolis. Yes, I realize that I'm exaggerating :D, but that's just how Target is.

Well I've felt as if I have been busting my ass for my team since day 1. I'm a hard working cart attendant and take my job and responsibilities serious. Lately our store usually gets like 10-20 red cards a day. Since April-May we have been getting close to 2-5 a night. I respond to code when needed I have green speed scores and per week i service 80-100 guests. As much as I am helpful for the past year I have been working at Target you could count my career total of redcards on one hand. Closing GSA said that they would start coaching people if this keeps up. When she told me this I sort of started feeling pissed/disappointing because as much as I exceed expectations I could potentially receive a coaching for something like this and myself I feel like this is unfair. I understand the stores need for red-cards but some people just don't have the knack for driving conversion. What would you do in my situation? Also we dont have a GSTL so who would do the coaching ETL-GE/Softlines or some random TL from the sales floor.

You are right to feel this way, but I wouldn't worry. First of all she is a GSA. She has zero corrective action power. 50% of the reason behind her saying this to you was probably to make herself feel better by trying to enhance her own ego because she knows she can't actually touch you.

Secondly, I spent a year as a GSTL. Never ever ever did I (or any other GSTL or the ETL-GE) ever actually write someone up for red cards. Yea, sometimes it was threatened.... but it never actually happened.

Third, despite what Target may have you think, cart attendant is actually one of the hardest jobs in the store to fill with a *good* person. If you are being honest here about your work ethic and responsibility as a cart attendant, then you really have nothing to worry about. If restrooms are constantly green, you are getting the carts effectively, responding to carry outs fast, etc.... then you are actually more valuable than a cashier. Especially considering most stores only have one cart attendant on the schedule at a time. There is no "team" of cart attendants.... if even one cart attendant sucks, the whole front end pays the price because there is no one else to pick up the slack. Only an idiot ETL would sign off on your termination for red cards, because 95% of the time a new cart attendant does *not* fulfill their core roles, and it can take months to find one that does. Any leader at the front end who isn't completely inept knows this. So trust me - if you are doing your job as a cart attendant - no one is going to actually write you up over red cards. Hell, even if you were just a cashier it would be a slim to none chance that you would get written up for it.

Last edited:
Your *primary* focus is to get carts, and support the front end with keeping up on hangers/reshop/trash/bags. Backup cashiering is a core role, but your job-specific duties will trump backup cashiering. As long as you are doing your job and are prompting guests for redcards, you'll be fine.

Tip: Don't just ask for a redcard when the prompt comes up. Try EVERY GUEST EVERY TIME as a philosophy, and you'll surprise yourself with the number of redcards you'll get.

Yep. Ask every guest, if you get a non-prompted redcard its actually better for your conversion than a prompted one!

All you can do for Red Cards is to present the red card and its benefits when prompted or any big ticket purchase. Point out the 5% discount on every purchase, pharmacy rewards option as well, and school donations. If the guest says no, thats all you can do.

As long as you present the card to the guest when prompted you are doing your job.

I have seen some cashiers and Electronic TMs bagger guests until they signed up or walked off. Thats too aggressive and poor service.

I have about 3 shifts left this week. I will be making an effort to get at-least three red cards while backup cashiering but my ETL-Softlines wants me to start bringing issues with him about anything I have concerns with. I think I will just mention this too him.

does anyone have a good redcard "script"? most people who backup at my store have been being hammered at the huddle to "push" for redcards while backing up, but they have no idea what to say. their one half-day of cashier training never covers this and we go through ETL-GEs like water, so aside from the GSTLs (who do not attend huddle) there is not much of a consistent message coming from that end. a lot of guests want to know specifics about the card to which every GSTL i've ever asked has only said "its all in the pamphlet........which isn't exactly what the guest wants to know.

Rock Lobster,thank you for that excellent explanation,it is something that I did not know but I am willing to bet that no gstl,ca or probably etl know it either,we do get our quota but it is usually through threats or prizes,I look foward to passing it on to the ones that want to learn.I think you are deserving of my one monthly gtc.

I try to get at least one every shift but there have been days when it just isn't happening. I find that the debit card is an easier sell, most people don't want ANOTHER credit card. I just point out to them that the debit card is just as good without interest rates! The most I've gotten in one day is 4. I just ask every single guest.

When I mention it to guests I tell them I love my debit card (and I do) because it's like Target is paying my taxes-the 5% with the other school 1% is close to our tax rate. I rarely, rarely back up cashier but I can do part while on the floor.

I SUCK at getting Red Cards. So on the rare occasion when I have talked a guest into getting one, make sure to go through to the payment screen and click they're paying with cash. If it's above ~$50, it will almost always pop up the prompt, and you'll get credited with a successful conversion.

I SUCK at getting Red Cards. So on the rare occasion when I have talked a guest into getting one, make sure to go through to the payment screen and click they're paying with cash. If it's above ~$50, it will almost always pop up the prompt, and you'll get credited with a successful conversion.

There is no need to do that anymore... every single redcard counts for .5 out of 100 prompts whether it was a prompted or unprompted... The way conversion is scored it just takes your Total Redcards for the year divided by your total prompts for the year and divide that answer by two... That is your YTD conversion! Like I said, prompts are now just ways to measure traffic through your store that could be signing up...

My GSTL told me not to worry too much about red cards because when I do go on a lane, it's usually for about 5-10 guests and they all deny the red card or already have one.
Plus the fact I probably do 1+1 once a shift, if that. As long as I keep carts inside and do the restrooms, I'm good.

You know, I can understand writing up a cashier who is seen bypassing the prompts, but today our GSTL was told by our DTL to start writing up every cashier who does not get a redcard on their shift. Our store has only been averaging about 3 or 4 a day lately ( we are an ULV store in a rural type area), so if this is the new policy our GSTL is going to be spending their entire shift writing people up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back