Archived People who schmooze their way to the top

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flabbergasted

Ex-GSA
WARNING: LONG

I need to share a rant with y'all regarding something that's been really bugging me lately. Now unlike my other rants, this particular issue is sadly not limited to Spot. It affects nearly every place where there are positions of power that others aspire to. But, even though it isn't limited to just Spot, I can at least complain that Spot does a very poor job at trying to prevent it. Ladies and gentlemen, I'm referring to individuals who like to schmooze it up to gain some kind of favor with the boss, for their own gain. At Target specifically, team members who want to get promoted (but don't necessarily deserve it), and will kiss up as much as they feel they need to in order to procure that position of power, to get a raise, etc. Recently, one of the worst TLs at my store promoted to Sr. after a grand display of schmoozing. It is widely regarded by fellow co-workers as a pathetically grand display indeed.

However, I want to rant about a different team member who is notorious for not caring about his job -- has repeatedly said so himself -- and got an IE on his annual review this year. This team member also does a half-assed job, and has consistently been rude to me throughout my time as GSA, probably out of jealousy that he's been here longer than me and hasn't even been remotely considered for the position each time it's opened. I have made a thread about this team member before. A former GSA laughs when they hear he's interested in taking my position once I leave. But apparently, he seriously believes he has a shot, and has been putting on the schmooze ever since the day I put in my notice. Even though I'm leaving and I shouldn't care (and certainly, a huge part of me doesn't), a small part does. At the very least, for all the times he's done a shitty, half-assed job, all the times he's told me to my face that he dislikes me even though I've never done anything wrong to him, and for his blatant schmoozing, I don't want to see him prevail. He literally only wants the position for the raise. With his recent merit raise, the paygrade bump would probably only be 30-40 cents more than he's making now. He's so naive to the stresses of the job and makes fun of me every time I point out how stressful it can be, saying he'd handle the pressure 'very well' and that I just can't handle stress very well. But the point goes right over his head. The stress is *not worth it* for the pay. If you're going to be GSA, find some other reason than just wanting the raise. That's his only reason.

I know I'm wasting too much energy on this for someone who shouldn't even care because I'm leaving, but like I said, I really don't want to see someone so bad for the job taking my place. I feel like he would be getting rewarded for his previous bad behavior and it leaves a sour taste in my mouth. If only there was a way for me to expose him for every shitty thing he's said to me that I foolishly never reported to upper leadership in my time here. I don't know why I feel so strongly but I had to rant about it, and I thank you for reading!

Does anyone have any stories to share of a schmoozing co-worker trying to impress leadership for some kind of selfish gain?

Its all too common. Nothing you can do because if you don't play the game or be compliant, those with authority will give you crap.

I had to work with a family of three (mother/2 daughters). The mother was a long mainstay who did nothing but operator until she got moved up to Clerical because she buddied up to ETL-HR.

Then one daughter, TM turned GSA, was the only TM interviewed for the GSA position even though myself and a number of others had way more experience than her.

The other daughter, who I also worked with, worked in FA in and would leave it awful conditions. If the health dept ever came in on her shift, FA would have been in trouble.

I had an ETL-HR who was sleeping with the STL. Driving home and arriving together. And as soon as the STL was moved up to the District store. She also got a District job.

I can go more but its a list.

Cashiers fooling around with ETLs in store.

TMs turned TL quick because they were flirting or buddying up with the ETLs.

Doing it for the raise, huh? I see you've got yourself a little comedian.

I know it bothers you, I'd certainly feel that way too...but sit back and think for a minute...

If he does get the position, it'll only be, I don't know, the greatest revenge for being a dick EVER.

Let him have it :) Tell him it's easy, and soooo worth it.

This.
Him getting the position could be the best revenge ever.
He'd go into it thinking he 'won't make the same mistakes YOU did' & that he can continue in his slacker ways.
I remember your thread about his disrespect when you were first promoted.
The other scenario would be that he DOESN'T get the spot because leadership knows what a slacker he is.
Seeing someone else get it while he gets bypassed AGAIN would also be a good revenge.
I see a win-win here no matter how it plays out.

The individual responsible for this:

To that one leader: I could hear the disappointment in your voice over the walkie after I told you I completed the task you assigned me. It's so obvious you tried to set me up to fail because you thought I wouldn't remember to do it or have enough time. Seriously, grow the fuck up.

Said leader was a cart attendant (albeit an outlandishly toolish one) when I was hired, and is now a SrTL who abuses the position to engage in all kinds of blatant assholery.

Target burns through GSA's faster than any company should EVER burn through any type of leadership role, he'll be back out the door soon enough

Actually Flabber, make the most of this.
Tell him how you HOPE he gets the spot, that you're SURE it'll be cake for him.
This falls under the 'confuse your enemies' genre.
Don't let it show that it's bothering you; you're almost out the door & it's a good way to shed the last of the chaff.

Regardless, in blue collar jobs, is it worth getting upset about? Do you think their ass kissing is worth the extra hundred bucks a month? No. Stick to your values, and let others have theirs, or lack their of.

Hopefully your leadership knows what a lackluster employee he truly is. We have one of those that expressed desires of being promoted from the very first day he joined us... but he is the laziest bass turd in the pile and the higher ups haven't been fooled.

Nonetheless our leadership has the slowest turnover on the planet.. so when someone leaves, everyone looks to see who can backstab the other first. It's awful. But when it's all boiled down, the STL has the final say. So is she likes you, you're in like Flynn. It doesn't matter what your work ethic is like, or how long you've been there. It's all about how much STL ass you've kissed.

He's so naive to the stresses of the job and makes fun of me every time I point out how stressful it can be, saying he'd handle the pressure 'very well' and that I just can't handle stress very well. But the point goes right over his head. The stress is *not worth it* for the pay. If you're going to be GSA, find some other reason than just wanting the raise. That's his only reason.
He makes fun of you?!? Ugh. So many people think they are an expert at everything. I wish I could give you some advice, but I'm just a low-level Flow TM. I actually have a master's degree and I'm working part-time for spot (that's the only job I could find in my hometown!), but even having more education than most of my bosses doesn't give me the right to make fun of anyone. Some people are so horrible :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back