Archived Perishables Backroom Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

sigma7

Former ETL-All the Things
We just finished our PFresh remodel and I've noticed our pulls are different than the store I trained at. We set our backroom up 100% to profile, but we keep getting full case packs of produce and meat pulled. Those stockrooms are completely casepack locations for the most part. The pulls at my training store were usually just a few eaches, even though the metro racks looked like they were casepack locations. So my question is: Should the produce and meat backrooms be set up as open stock locations?

Really a full explanation of how the backroom for PFresh should be set up and how it should work would be great. There was barely any info given for perishables in the remodel guide.

It should be setup as open case. It would prevent the wrong items getting pulled. Say there was apples pulled at 5am and then they were put into a backstock cart then more apples were pulled at 12, only the apples pulled at 12 were from yesterdays truck meanwhile the apples in backstock were received 6 days ago.

In a nutshell the open case system helps with fifo and lowers the amt of backstock

Sounds like the locations are profiled as case-pack instead of open-stock.

I would love it if my team pulled full case packs rather than partial. Some people do not know that NOTHING gets back stocked straight on the rack and when partial cases get pulled over stock often gets stoed in the wrong dated case or on the rack. Plus we do not mix dates on the floor so partial cases cause people to mix dates o the floor

Thanks for the quick response! I talked to my ETL and we're going to switch it to open stock. It just keeps pulling casepacks over and over. Barely anything is going out because the truck is getting pushed first and then nothing is getting bacstocked. And when it does get back stocked it pulls right back out as a full casepack to stock 2 apples lol. I'll keep y'all posted. Here's hoping open stock is the fix!

Our bakery section must be on case stock and it drives me CRAZY. Every time I get a box pulled I break it down but there's always so much backstock. How would I check to see what it's profiled under, and who would I talk to about fixing that?

Our bakery is case stock and each's in white wacos. Your PDA should bring you the waco first.

But wouldn't it make sense to have the whole thing as open stock? Our bakery table is pretty low volume; most of my items are at a capacity of two. I need one loaf of bread, I get a case of 8 pulled, and what happens is either A) some idiot overstocks and then we're wasting product, or B ) we stock correct, 7 go to backstock and sit on a cart for upwards to a day, sometimes two days depending on if BR gets to it. Since I only have two out on the table, if even one gets sold then I need to get it filled in the next pulls. But it's sitting on a backstock cart, so I never get it, unless I want to double, triple work out carts of bakery every single day. It's ridiculous.

Last edited:
We are low volume also. The problem we run into with product being pulled from full cases is when TINV time comes. It makes it so much easier and fast to use the BCODE number on the box to make counts.

I totally get what you are saying about back stock sitting. The big problem with that is the system does not think we have the product so it kicks it to deliver more and then a snowball effect of way to freakin' much bakery stock is in the freezer.

Grouping everything as open stock did the trick. The pulls were perfect today! It's fun to see the replenishment system working properly. We had two pallets of meat sitting in the meat cooler that had been worked a couple of days ago, but hadn't been backstocked. We backstocked it all today and a lot came right back out on the next hourly caf, but every pull filled the floor perfectly. It might be a little weird that I'm so excited to see our replenishment system working...it just doesn't work right so often! I'm a nerd, but it made me feel accomplished at the end of the day. Thanks to everyone who helped me out!

Our bakery section must be on case stock and it drives me CRAZY. Every time I get a box pulled I break it down but there's always so much backstock. How would I check to see what it's profiled under, and who would I talk to about fixing that?

if you get on store applications you can access the backroom location menu and print or view a grouping report for the stockroom. Your logistics or backroom TLs or ETL-Logistics should know how to access it.

Or I think you could just go into location check on the PDA for the backroom and scan an item in the location in question. If it's grouped as open stock it should have an "(o)" at the end of the location.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back