Archived Petty Betty TL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve been struggling with my TL (lets call her Betty) since i started over 3 years ago. She has that “i’m better than you” mentality towards TMs, and nearly everyone dislikes her because of her attitude, but she’s an ass kisser to ETLs so they never see it. When I originally started, I was trained as an electronics TM, and still occasionally work shifts if there are call outs. One time a year and a half ago, I needed Betty to help with a cell phone vendor. After both of us said hello to her, she put her hand up in our face and said that she didn’t want to be bothered. I immediately was offended and was so angry, afterwards she apologized but I told her that I didn’t accept because it was so disrespectful and rude. A few days later it still bothered me so I brought it up to my ETL and asked if there was any way I can change TLs because I just could not work with her because of that, but i was immediately denied. Then Betty tried sucking up to me and it turned into a desperate attempt to get on my good side. After that I tolerated her enough for work, but I don’t talk to her unless she gives me my task for the day.

Recently, she cut my hours (i have open availability) considering i’m one of the two HL tm (we’re short staffed), but had softlines tms scheduled to work HL; her reason was because of being short staffed which didn’t make sense because I barely got hours myself. so then I started to try and take shifts in other departments. Though, A week before I closed softlines with my ETL, and Electronics for a few days because of call outs. I had two people that needed their shifts covered in both of those areas and I immediately did the shift trade paper work and turned it in a week in advance. Though, she messaged them, not me, saying I’m not trained in those areas to work. So i feel like, when they need me to work in those areas i’m automatically trained. but when i’m trying to get hours i’m suddenly not trained.

I brought it up to my HR ETL saying how it doesn’t make sense and I feel like i’m being taken advantage of, to which she laughed and said that I give them to much credit and that my TL probably just doesn’t know i’ve closed those areas. Which is equally frustrating because it’s not my fault that the TLs do not communicate with each other about those type of things.

Sorry for the long rant, this is just years of pent up frustration. I’m trying really hard to take everything with a grain of salt, i’m the only one in the whole store who stands up to her because she cuts hours if you step out of line. I put in my request for vacation 3 months in advance for a trip back in march. and i immediately went from having 40 hours to 17 hours. It’s things like that..

*So my question is (if you got this far): how should i deal with this? am i over reacting? i’m open to all suggestions, i’ve really got to point where it’s exhausting to deal with. It makes me not want to go into work when I know she is closing/opening because i don’t want to deal with her awfulness. but i always go in.

Document your events & talk to your Etl. How was your last review?
My last review was overall great. They didn’t say anything negative about me or my work ethic. I’ll try talking to my ETL again, but i figured after I was told i can’t switch TLs that that was the extent of what they could do.

One time a year and a half ago, I needed Betty to help with a cell phone vendor. After both of us said hello to her, she put her hand up in our face and said that she didn’t want to be bothered. I immediately was offended and was so angry, afterwards she apologized but I told her that I didn’t accept because it was so disrespectful and rude.

From what you say, yes, your TL sounds like a real bitch. However, not accepting her apology was a bit of a bitch move on your part (especially if she came to you with the apology on her own without being prompted by someone else).

I’m trying really hard to take everything with a grain of salt, i’m the only one in the whole store who stands up to her because she cuts hours if you step out of line.

Horrible TLs and ETLs exist in almost all of Target's stores. It is up to each TM to adapt his or her attitude and behavior to work for and with them if they want to continue to work at Spot. It may not be right, or fair, but unless your TL does something extremely egregious in her duties, she will continue to be at your store. Standing up to her is great, but (as your fellow TMs have figured out) doing so will result in cut hours. So, your best bet is to keep your head low, do your job as best you can, and see if things improve in a reasonable amount of time. If they don't, seek employment elsewhere. Or, go out and get a new job now. Best of luck whichever route you decide to take.

Your TL makes your schedule? In my store ETLs make the schedule.
From what I read, and judging by the list of grievances you mentioned, I would say you are the petty one.
Hours fluctuate greatly, you should know that.
Aside from not getting a reply to your hello, and your TL having a “hard shell” what the problem is?

LOL! one time we were standing next to the baler and she asked me, “Does no one like me here?” and i was terrified she would throw me in depending my response
Got a moron TL that asks that via their eyes every day. Not verbally but I can see the "no one likes me here?" in their eyes and yeah I wanna tell 'em because they have no skills to lead yet act like a complete dick when things are a mess haha

I’ll spray degreaser on her and toss her in the freezer. See how long it takes to freeze up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back