Plenty of awesome cashier's

I guess I can add something of substance here, because last winter this came up for me a lot and I didn't have the right POV about it. I would get peeved about having too many cashier shifts, but worked them all the same. When I started giving those shifts away, I immediately got a talk from my boss who tried to set me straight.

Today I have a really solid cashier/drive-up kid I'm trying to help develop. They have open availability and it's their only job. After four months on the job, they're already getting the "I don't want to cashier" bug. Say they need hours, but turn down a lot of shifts. Well...the obvious conclusion here is that if the job is your living and not just a way to support school or retirement, don't turn down shifts very often.

If you're the "first call" for open shifts, and/or you're getting unusual cashier shifts tagged onto your schedule, that's a sign that your work is really appreciated and you're more likely somebody they want to develop. The more times you say "no" (during open availability hours) without a good reason, the further down you go in management's opinion and the less you will succeed.

I guess I can add something of substance here, because last winter this came up for me a lot and I didn't have the right POV about it. I would get peeved about having too many cashier shifts, but worked them all the same. When I started giving those shifts away, I immediately got a talk from my boss who tried to set me straight.

Today I have a really solid cashier/drive-up kid I'm trying to help develop. They have open availability and it's their only job. After four months on the job, they're already getting the "I don't want to cashier" bug. Say they need hours, but turn down a lot of shifts. Well...the obvious conclusion here is that if the job is your living and not just a way to support school or retirement, don't turn down shifts very often.

If you're the "first call" for open shifts, and/or you're getting unusual cashier shifts tagged onto your schedule, that's a sign that your work is really appreciated and you're more likely somebody they want to develop. The more times you say "no" (during open availability hours) without a good reason, the further down you go in management's opinion and the less you will succeed.
You know what??? That's the most awesome answer ever. I love it. Thank you so much for that ☺️

Longtime TM here.
This time of year is an hours wasteland & it doesn't matter how long you've been here so I've always hustled for hours & cashiering is always a sure bet.
It also shows that you're a team player willing to help out where needed which is one of the traits leadership looks for when deciding who to develop as NotCynical pointed out.

During my cashier shift yesterday... I observed (as a service/checkout advocate) two other service desk team members go on ( one at the register in front of me & the other one to the back) & on about how they had cashier shifts and they they kept begging TL to allow them to turn their register lights off and go over to service desk. TL was not with the BS. TL looked at me (I assumed TL was expecting a complaint from myself as well) however I turned to TL and said "you know what", I'm am delighted to help guests in the front lanes right now or anytime". Both Service desk TMs looked at me and were like"seriously"? I was like yes kids..... And kept shining! After 2hours I was at service desk, lol. 😎

I have TMs who turn their lights off the minute it doesn't seem busy and flit over to the SD to "help out". Um, no. If I need additional help, I will let you know. You don't get to decide. It's my call.
Yes

Ok. Most of my TLs are younger than me, they don't get all weird and disrespectful, usually they are very chill & as long as TM's are working , TL"s ain't tryna power trip on nobody bc everyone knows their position. We all cheer each other on.
As for the TL's who are older than me....they not wasting times on tryna boss anyone around.. we all doing our Best, taking care of the Team and all of our Guests.

It’s not a power trip. It is the TM staying in their lane because they don’t always see the whole picture. Sure there are no guests now but according to the grid, there are gonna be breaks and shift changes soon so maybe leaving your register because you are bored isn’t the best idea. If everyone just decided to do whatever they want in the name of “helping out”, then I am not being helped at all.

Case in point: yesterday I returned to the SD from closing registers elsewhere in the store. No lights were on. No cashiers to be found. One was on a break that I knew about. Where was the other one? No clue.

yesterday I returned to the SD from closing registers elsewhere in the store. No lights were on. No cashiers to be found. One was on a break that I knew about. Where was the other one? No clue.
lol don't you just LOVE that?

Caught one of mine just chilling in the break room like it was the thing to do. Wonder how they thought that would work out.

Omg it is sooooo frustrating when you need backups at the check lanes and there are check out advocates at GS and they won't come back and ring. We have finally got that issue under control.

It’s not a power trip. It is the TM staying in their lane because they don’t always see the whole picture. Sure there are no guests now but according to the grid, there are gonna be breaks and shift changes soon so maybe leaving your register because you are bored isn’t the best idea. If everyone just decided to do whatever they want in the name of “helping out”, then I am not being helped at all.

Case in point: yesterday I returned to the SD from closing registers elsewhere in the store. No lights were on. No cashiers to be found. One was on a break that I knew about. Where was the other one? No clue.
Put those cashier's in their place... don't allow them the freedoms they desperately beg for. Because really all they want to do is go run their mouths about how they feel. It pays to be humble, wise and flexible.

Put those cashier's in their place... don't allow them the freedoms they desperately beg for. Because really all they want to do is go run their mouths about how they feel. It pays to be humble, wise and flexible.
Make them cashier with till they drop.

Back