POG design

Sorta hoping there's someone lurking here who has influence on how POGs are designed. Doing the Allergy transition a few weeks ago got me thinking about it - why do I need to have 10 facings (that's right, 10) of the same medicine, same size package? And that's for the Up & Up equivalents to both Claritin and Zyrtec. Plus multiple facings for the same size packages of name brands.
The problem is that the shelves have to be put so close together that it's impossible for me, even though I have fairly small hands, to put new product behind old without actually removing all of the old product first. Seems like some of those facings could be removed which would result in a shelf being removed in each 4-foot section.
Different gripe with the Liquid Hand Soap POG - so many facings of the giant refill bottles means the top shelves are hard to keep zoned easily. Haul out the step stool, climb up to zone both sections. It takes only a few minutes, but it just seems so unnecessary to even have that top shelf. I thought it was great that the Mouthwash POG was shortened and I don't need a ladder to at least touch up those top shelves. But they went the opposite direction with hand soap.
Grumble, grumble.

Sorta hoping there's someone lurking here who has influence on how POGs are designed. Doing the Allergy transition a few weeks ago got me thinking about it - why do I need to have 10 facings (that's right, 10) of the same medicine, same size package? And that's for the Up & Up equivalents to both Claritin and Zyrtec. Plus multiple facings for the same size packages of name brands.
The problem is that the shelves have to be put so close together that it's impossible for me, even though I have fairly small hands, to put new product behind old without actually removing all of the old product first. Seems like some of those facings could be removed which would result in a shelf being removed in each 4-foot section.
Different gripe with the Liquid Hand Soap POG - so many facings of the giant refill bottles means the top shelves are hard to keep zoned easily. Haul out the step stool, climb up to zone both sections. It takes only a few minutes, but it just seems so unnecessary to even have that top shelf. I thought it was great that the Mouthwash POG was shortened and I don't need a ladder to at least touch up those top shelves. But they went the opposite direction with hand soap.
Grumble, grumble.
The corp person working the Pog issue. My support it.

Target would rather have merch out of the back and on the floor over team members convenience. I know our stockroom is packed as it is.

I think them making 10 facing is just their way of marketing the product. The more facings, the more it stands out.

Grumble, grumble.
Take a facing out and make it work.

Take a facing out and make it work.
If it was as simple as this, I would and have done so or added a facing if the self-pushers are far apart. But this entails reworking two shelves in each of two sections for the Allergy POG. It'd mean reworking more shelves for hand soap. I don't get paid enough or have enough time to do that.
When I did the POG for pain meds, I did make some adjustments; but it's only to what's contained on one shelf at a time, not something effecting multiple shelves.

Target would rather have merch out of the back and on the floor over team members convenience. I know our stockroom is packed as it is.

I think them making 10 facing is just their way of marketing the product. The more facings, the more it stands out.
My back room is very full too, but I think that's a lot to do with the switch to priority pulls from doing one-for-ones.

Although I do get that without the 10 facings being fully stocked, a lot of those boxes would be taking up space in the back. And I understand your point about marketing - 10 facings say "look at me! buy me!" On the other hand, I think it looks like trying too hard. Guests can tell pretty easily the way things are arranged on the shelves, with store brand right next to name brand, and the much lower prices where the better deal is.

But then Target didn't ask my opinion about marketing or how to put together a POG either.

If it was as simple as this, I would and have done so or added a facing if the self-pushers are far apart. But this entails reworking two shelves in each of two sections for the Allergy POG. It'd mean reworking more shelves for hand soap. I don't get paid enough or have enough time to do that.
When I did the POG for pain meds, I did make some adjustments; but it's only to what's contained on one shelf at a time, not something effecting multiple shelves.
I adjust as I set. But I was pog team for years and knew beforehand what I would need to fix.

I'm curious if your Allergy pog shelves are set correctly. My pog is on a 72" gondola and we have plenty of space between shelves- we could double stack the boxes easily if we didn't have them set in pushers so rotating product is easy as well.

Our hand soap pog we use pushers on all the smaller bottles so the top shelf is always zoned.

Our hand soap pog we use pushers on all the smaller bottles so the top shelf is always zoned.
I could do this, assuming I could rustle up enough fixtures. Seems like the disappear into some kind of black hole in the fixture room. Good idea though - thanks!

As to the Allergy shelves being set correctly - my gondola is shorter. The top shelves are as high as they'll go, the shelves do all fit, and guests can get product our easily enough. It's very tight from my perspective though, as the one who stocks those shelves.

Last edited:
I adjust as I set. But I was pog team for years and knew beforehand what I would need to fix.
I've learned a lot as time as gone on and I'm working transitions for sections that I've already done a couple times before. But to take out two whole shelves from a 2-section POG seems like a pretty big adjustment. And honestly, it doesn't seem like I should have to make such a big adjustment - I've done some tinkering but that seems like a lot more than tinkering.
@SigningLady's comment makes me wonder if *someone* thinks I have the taller gondolas for this POG.
Just feeling a little frustrated lately with what seems like a greater-than-usual lack of support from corporate. Sometimes, I feel like they make it harder to do my job.

I've learned a lot as time as gone on and I'm working transitions for sections that I've already done a couple times before. But to take out two whole shelves from a 2-section POG seems like a pretty big adjustment. And honestly, it doesn't seem like I should have to make such a big adjustment - I've done some tinkering but that seems like a lot more than tinkering.
@SigningLady's comment makes me wonder if *someone* thinks I have the taller gondolas for this POG.
Just feeling a little frustrated lately with what seems like a greater-than-usual lack of support from corporate. Sometimes, I feel like they make it harder to do my job.

If you pull up the pog info on the Zebra, it should tell you what dimensions that pog is built for. If it is incorrect, you can then use the chatbot to tell them it's wrong.

Why take out 2 whole shelves? There can be multiple solutions to consider.

Why take out 2 whole shelves? There can be multiple solutions to consider.
It's one shelf from each of two sections. The top shelf is already as high as it can go. (And yes, I checked and it's properly noted as a 54" gondola.) Fitting all the shelves in is possible, but they're very cramped.
Given how many facings there are of numerous products, it'd definitely be possible to rework it with two fewer shelves and still keep all the product there, just not so much of it.

Back