POG Set and pulling items

The other day a fellow TM (who used be a TL which is weird) set a POG that dropped over 80 items in OOS.

Naturally he left it for me to pull because my TL said "he didn't have time to pull it".

This is just lazy on his part and told my TL if it happens again I am going to not pull it.

This happens fairly frequently in my department.

Thoughts?

Happens sometimes. While it sucks to deal with your options are to be irritated and refuse to pull it however if it’s in your department then it affects your sales, zone, and everything. Or do what’s right and pull it to fill your floor and get the product out but make sure your leader(s) know that you are doing it. It sucks but the right people will take notice and karma catches up to people. That co-worker may already be having convos regarding performance like this and you just won’t know. 🤷‍♀️ Maybe with time the problem will get fixed

Yeah it happened all the time but we've cracked down on that now that we have the 90% goal

My solution if it happens again is to pull just of enough of that item so it is no longer an OOS.

I will leave the rest for that TM to FINISH THEIR DAMN JOB.

I also noticed that POG had some of the capacities at 80 but the real capacity was 9.

My solution if it happens again is to pull just of enough of that item so it is no longer an OOS.

I will leave the rest for that TM to FINISH THEIR DAMN JOB.

I also noticed that POG had some of the capacities at 80 but the real capacity was 9.
Yeah if your leader isn't sticking up for you and their team then it's a tough spot. I'm not letting that fly at my store. I make sure my team is doing there pulls during the day and they need to do the same.

Last edited:
At our store they're giving jobs that would require 2-3 people to just 1 person and most of the hours they're working on it are when the store is open. Unfortunately, they truly don't have time for the pull. What really stinks is that someone has to do it by end of day. The TL or an ETL will usually delegate it to someone within that department, if they have time. At least to start. Then the closing team finishes it up on priority pull because they absolutely HAVE to before store close.

A lot of times our Closing TL does it and a few of us other TL's will grab a few batches before we leave just to make those numbers smaller for the closing TM's. Dry Grocery pulls seem to get especially wild, even with the correct counts.

Yeah if your leader isn't sticking up for you and thier team then it's a tough spot. I'm not letting that fly at my store. I make sure my team is doing there pulls during the day and they need to do the same.
The TM that did this is on my team which makes it more annoying.

As someone who sets the workload is usually too much for one or two people. We have had workload where two people have to get 100 hours set with 80 or less hours. Guess which part isn’t getting done. Setting the aisle is the most important part as if it doesn’t get set you’re going to end up with a lot of product just sitting in the back as there’s no location for it. You can blame Target for thinking all of this bs is a great idea.

The other day a fellow TM (who used be a TL which is weird) set a POG that dropped over 80 items in OOS.

Naturally he left it for me to pull because my TL said "he didn't have time to pull it".

This is just lazy on his part and told my TL if it happens again I am going to not pull it.

This happens fairly frequently in my department.

Thoughts?
Ever have to deal with ghost sidecaps. You pull for them and lordy they're tied but not set. Course it's job security. Pull, backstock ,pull backstock.....go home. SFC being off is a given for the depth of understanding our people have for the sh@% running downhill. Our gm team motto ... let the next person deal with it ... then they gossip how you can't get "your" work done.

Ever have to deal with ghost sidecaps. You pull for them and lordy they're tied but not set. Course it's job security. Pull, backstock ,pull backstock.....go home. SFC being off is a given for the depth of understanding our people have for the sh@% running downhill. Our gm team motto ... let the next person deal with it ... then they gossip how you can't get "your" work done.
When we tie but don't set something (for whatever reason) we zero out the capacity. That way nothing drops into the pulls.

Why is this? I've noticed similar things and it's like someone just pulls numbers out of the air. Sometimes, they don't even make sense, like an odd number capacity when it's an even number of facings - that's obviously wrong just from simple arithmetic. Or there will be wildly different capacities for the same kind of product, like bags of cough drops, on same size pegs. It's just stupid.

As someone who sets the workload is usually too much for one or two people. We have had workload where two people have to get 100 hours set with 80 or less hours. Guess which part isn’t getting done. Setting the aisle is the most important part as if it doesn’t get set you’re going to end up with a lot of product just sitting in the back as there’s no location for it. You can blame Target for thinking all of this bs is a great idea.
Agreed. I tend to let back stock pile up, figuring that's the lowest priority after doing the set and pushing the batch. One thing that would help is for realistic capacities - I have to reset so many of the same things, partly because of the space the self-pushers take up. When I pull a pile of singletons, it's almost a certainty that most of them will go right back to back stock.

When we tie but don't set something (for whatever reason) we zero out the capacity. That way nothing drops into the pulls.
I’ve done this a lot for the in aisle baskets and freezer sides on market salesplanner weeks if I don’t have time to set them before Wednesday. I hate tying and lying So I use it as an extreme last resort but I am sure to pull the next time I’m in.

Why is this? I've noticed similar things and it's like someone just pulls numbers out of the air. Sometimes, they don't even make sense, like an odd number capacity when it's an even number of facings - that's obviously wrong just from simple arithmetic. Or there will be wildly different capacities for the same kind of product, like bags of cough drops, on same size pegs. It's just stupid.
I don't do POGs but I have learned assume the capacities and spacing is always wrong.

You would thing the system would be set up so you couldn't enter a capacity of more than 20 or so.

By the way that 80 number was for a drinkable yogurt.

I don't do POGs but I have learned assume the capacities and spacing is always wrong.

You would thing the system would be set up so you couldn't enter a capacity of more than 20 or so.

By the way that 80 number was for a drinkable yogurt.
For some things, like the little travel size toiletries, some of those capacities really can be 40 or even more. But 792? Um, no. There was a tower set up with sunscreen back in seasonal a few years ago where the capacity for one of the shelves was over 1,000. Made me do a double take.

Been out of the Target game for awhile, but this post right here nailed it. And the OP said they've never set a Pog before so they shouldn't throw out the term lazy, not knowing what kind of workload that can entail having no experience. Most important part is having that aisle set as you said.

Why is this? I've noticed similar things and it's like someone just pulls numbers out of the air. Sometimes, they don't even make sense, like an odd number capacity when it's an even number of facings - that's obviously wrong just from simple arithmetic. Or there will be wildly different capacities for the same kind of product, like bags of cough drops, on same size pegs.

I f one is at the end of their shift and don't have time to pull and push..or it might drop into priority then that s cool. But several side caps are just abandoned around here until a closer notices the empty for days location matches backroom waco s filled with that product and fixes it up for Target to sell it !! Tired of it.

I f one is at the end of their shift and don't have time to pull and push..or it might drop into priority then that s cool. But several side caps are just abandoned around here until a closer notices the empty for days location matches backroom waco s filled with that product and fixes it up for Target to sell it !! Tired of it.
This is one of the reasons I'm sad to see the DBO model being shelved. Someone who works an area consistently is going to notice that sort of thing and get it fixed.

POG TMs are supposed to pull and push everything they set. It's always what I intend to do, and it just makes sense: the person who set the aisle will have the best idea of how to adjust fixtures if/when the product doesn't fit exactly the way the POG thinks it should. But suppose I can't finish the day's workload, say, because I walked into an unzoned, overstocked, filthy, unmarked-clearance-clogged shitshow of an aisle that was supposed to have undergone some major revisions since its last transition, but none of those ever happened, and any fixtures and ISM that came in for said revisions disappeared during some pre-visit panic or another. Would you rather I left you a completed pull you can't push because the aisle isn't done being set--not to worry, leadership promises they'll send us back to finish it eventually™--or would you prefer I leave you an aisle ready to stock and no outstanding tasks except a heavier version of the one you do every day, which plenty of other people in the building could do if you don't get to it?

Thanks for all the feedback on this.

A couple of final comments from your responses.

POG TMs are supposed to pull and push everything they set. This doesn't happen like it should.

Those 80 OOS where for new product not those already on the floor. Our store is paranoid about the OOS (again) for some reason.

When we tie but don't set something (for whatever reason) we zero out the capacity. I was told I couldn't do that.

POG TMs are supposed to pull and push everything they set. It's always what I intend to do, and it just makes sense: the person who set the aisle will have the best idea of how to adjust fixtures if/when the product doesn't fit exactly the way the POG thinks it should. But suppose I can't finish the day's workload, say, because I walked into an unzoned, overstocked, filthy, unmarked-clearance-clogged shitshow of an aisle that was supposed to have undergone some major revisions since its last transition, but none of those ever happened, and any fixtures and ISM that came in for said revisions disappeared during some pre-visit panic or another. Would you rather I left you a completed pull you can't push because the aisle isn't done being set--not to worry, leadership promises they'll send us back to finish it eventually™--or would you prefer I leave you an aisle ready to stock and no outstanding tasks except a heavier version of the one you do every day, which plenty of other people in the building could do if you don't get to it?
Again, another reason I'm sad to lose the DBO model. When I have transitions coming up, especially a big one, I can do some prep the day before and get clearance moved out. Before I start the set, I pull the batch because I especially want to be able to put new product in place and make sure it fits. (Pulling the batch doesn't always take very long because I set aside new product as it arrives instead of actually back stocking it. It's well labeled in case anyone else is helping me with transitions.) As I go along, I collect what's become NOP and back stock, which I don't worry about right then. I get the set done and all the product pushed. That NOP and back stock can wait until the next day (or the next few days). When I leave, it's completely done including being fully stocked. And it looks beautiful! Or at least it does until the first round of price changes and someone puts the labels in crooked, but oh well.

This is one of the reasons I'm sad to see the DBO model being shelved. Someone who works an area consistently is going to notice that sort of thing and get it fixed.
Totally. Decided to switch out of gm altogether. Too bad for them. They hired 2 people to make up for my leaving. Back in the day when they'd get a call that dsd is 5 minutes away and say " I need you to set these 3 salesplanner rapido ... it got done. Now the place looks like a bargain bin ghost town with any old thing thrown on the ends.

Back