Archived Possibility of Termination?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone!

I am currently working as GSA, with the possibility of moving up to team lead in a few weeks after I finish my interviews. I recently returned to work after a short break, and the conversion rate changes for red cards has all of the ETLs and LODs going crazy.

As soon as I came in today, I was hounded by the LOD about red cards. He continued to do this about every 10 minutes during my shift. I work at a ultra low volume store, and we are expected to get at least 5 red cards everyday. When I started my shift we had 3, and I was told by the LOD that we needed to end the night in double digits.

Around 3 hours into my GSA shift, we had yet to get a red card. The LOD was understandably frustrated so he threatened to coach/write up the front end team for ending with zero for the night despite the fact that every cashier was asking every guest. He then told me that if we got at least one during my shift, he wouldn't worry me anymore. He was also offering a $25 gift card to the next person who got a red card.

When I went on my 30 minute break, I decided to finally sign up for the credit version of the red card being that I already had the debit. I randomly chose a cashier, and they processed the application. The LOD asked me who got the red card, I told him, but didn't include the fact that I was the one signing up for the application (at our store employees sign up for red cards on their breaks quite frequently, and are sometimes encouraged by the LODs, including the STL, to do so). Later that evening, he noticed the red card application in my purse.

There was nothing fradulent about the transaction, but I am wondering if it is against target policy to sign up for a red card during your shift (specifically as a GSA/GSTL)?

Signing up for a second card is perfectly acceptable.
Our STL pushed that to no end.
I don't see why you should have any problems.

And welcome to The Break Room.

It may rouse suspicion with ap, but you should be fine. I would have told him you signed up, because you might have gotten a free drink or something.

No, you will not be terminated for signing up for a REDcard, unless you are repeatedly "signing up" just to cheat the system.

I don't see how there would be any problem and or issue. If anything they should thank you. Hell, the other day my stl asked a team member if they had a redcard, the team member replied yes...then he said let me see it . He then said oh I wanted to see if it looked any different than mine...such bs. He just wanted to verify that the team member had one ...which I am pretty sure is all kinds of wrong. The way I see it whats in my wallet is none of no ones business but mine.

Hell, signing up for a redcard is part of orientation in my store.

Not really, but they do encourage all new TMs to sign up for at least the debit card during orientation.

Kind of funny...

Last monday our GSTL was whining like a baby trying to get team members to sign up for red cards so he could get the necessary number.

The next night an ETL was furius that team members were signing up for red cards to meet the goal.

Hi everyone!

I am currently working as GSA, with the possibility of moving up to team lead in a few weeks after I finish my interviews. I recently returned to work after a short break, and the conversion rate changes for red cards has all of the ETLs and LODs going crazy.

As soon as I came in today, I was hounded by the LOD about red cards. He continued to do this about every 10 minutes during my shift. I work at a ultra low volume store, and we are expected to get at least 5 red cards everyday. When I started my shift we had 3, and I was told by the LOD that we needed to end the night in double digits.

Around 3 hours into my GSA shift, we had yet to get a red card. The LOD was understandably frustrated so he threatened to coach/write up the front end team for ending with zero for the night despite the fact that every cashier was asking every guest. He then told me that if we got at least one during my shift, he wouldn't worry me anymore. He was also offering a $25 gift card to the next person who got a red card.

When I went on my 30 minute break, I decided to finally sign up for the credit version of the red card being that I already had the debit. I randomly chose a cashier, and they processed the application. The LOD asked me who got the red card, I told him, but didn't include the fact that I was the one signing up for the application (at our store employees sign up for red cards on their breaks quite frequently, and are sometimes encouraged by the LODs, including the STL, to do so). Later that evening, he noticed the red card application in my purse.

There was nothing fradulent about the transaction, but I am wondering if it is against target policy to sign up for a red card during your shift (specifically as a GSA/GSTL)?
There was nothing wrong on what you did as long as it was voluntary. But it is not exactly policy (but not smiled upon) for Execs or TLs to coerce TMs into signing up for Red Cards to inflate numbers.

All the Exec can do is harp about not asking about the Red Cards. But they shouldn't be threatening TMs with write ups and coachings

Last edited:
As others have stated, your ETL/STL shouldn't be coaching for a lack of redcards, but instead for lack of trying. Observe the cashiers and coach on the behaviors, not the results(or lack there of). You're not really giving the TM the tools they need to succeed if you're simply telling them to get results. Help them change their pitches or the way they approach guests. A good ETL-HR / HRBP will not approve a counseling with nothing but "You didn't get a red card tonight" coachings. It should be "I observed you ring out 10 guests and did not mention the red card to any of them" coachings that lead to write ups.

I'm so glad I wasn't hired as a cashier. In the 7 months since I've been there I've sold three red cards.

I've almost sold about a dozen, lol. Either they didn't have their checkbook (?) or they were in too much of a hurry.

If you did that around here the LOD would have kissed that little hole in between your butt cheeks.

Sometimes it seems like LODs expect TMs to hold a gun to a guest's head or block the exit with an AR-15 until everyone in the store has a Redcard. Eventually it becomes annoying and with how Targets look and operate now, I'd rather go to Walmart. At least there I won't hear CIHYFS or asked about a credit card. And bad service is expected so I won't be disappointed.

Good for you for taking one for the team. You should be recogized not coached.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back