Pre-thanksgiving breakroom food

It amazes me how ungrateful some people are. Target nor any other company needs to provide food for you. When they do just appreciate that they did instead of complaining that it wasn't what you would have chosen.

I know in my case, my store is appreciative of what they did get in the end but they have also come to know a certain TM culture at Target that doesn't seem to be there anymore.

There are also teams that were told not to worry about bringing lunch for themselves. They were told that meals would be provided on their breaks as a thank you for working long hours Thanksgiving day. And then those teams either didn't actually receive any food, or they received potato chips which are not a meal.

Last edited:
Wednesday night - Chinese food for everyone except the cashiers who didn't get to go on a break when it was back there. We have PB and J through Xmas

Dang...I'm sorry to hear that, guys.

When I was ETL-HR, I'd go all out..from Wednesday to Sunday, providing breakfast lunch and dinner. A typical day would be IHOP for breakfast, Olive Garden for lunch and gumbo, potato salad and the fixings for dinner.

One year we had the fancy sandwich platters from Jimmy John's. There was a note next to the platter informing everyone that it was limit 1 sandwich per TM. Actually it was 1 segment of the sandwich, not a whole sandwich.

When I first worked for Target and we had a different ETL-HR and SD, we had nice meals. One TGiving we had QDoba and the food was even refreshed at midnight (back then the store was open overnight).

I can only guess where that money is going. The stores are supposed to have pretty generous budgets to spring for breakroom food throughout the year and I can't see how the popsicles, rootbeer floats and popcorn that we get during the majority of the year chew through that budget.

We got sandwiches from a nearby diner on Thursday and Chinese food yesterday. I'm not sure what we are getting today as I start at 6:30 PM tonight. There was actually so much food left over yesterday that I took some home (I hate seeing food go to waste).

It amazes me how ungrateful some people are. Target nor any other company needs to provide food for you. When they do just appreciate that they did instead of complaining that it wasn't what you would have chosen.
Maybe I'd be a bit more understanding if I didn't walk by my leaders' office while they were horking down Panera bought with a P card.

Maybe I'd be a bit more understanding if I didn't walk by my leaders' office while they were horking down Panera bought with a P card.
How are you sure they used a P card for it? Our leadership team eats out constantly but everyone pays for their own food.

Not fully defending them but it’s up to your HR to plan for the team but possible the SD wanted to show appreciation for her leaders. I still think they should have provided for the team but leadership deserves appreciation too. I can’t speak for your team but a lot of leaders I know are doing 60-70 hours this week.

Even with the P-Card, I still appreciate the act and time. My HR Team Lead yesterday stayed well past her shift to make sure the delivery got in.

Our store always goes big every year. Thursday was pizza from a great local spot. Friday we had a taquero all day. We could go outside and get as many tacos, quesadillas, rice and beans on our breaks/lunch. Saturday was Subway. Today is Panda Express and Monday is El Pollo Loco. They also keep muffins/pastries, sodas, juice, and fruit in the break room. It’s been like this for years. Sounds like we’ve been pretty lucky.

It amazes me that some think its perfectly alright to play favorites and show it so blatantly and then blame the people for asking questions. We got told it was planned for weeks that we would have sandwiches when in reality it was someone went to Safeway/Vons and bought out the premade cooler cause people got pissed that half the people working on Thanksgiving day were not even listed as being provided food at all. It was an "oh shit we fucked up." move if I ever saw one. Then they had the gall to blame the people working for not knowing where the food was. How would I know, HR always is in charge of that and none of them were there all day, and we were left with one TL all day who didn't know either. So everyone who worked from midnight til 3pm got a big helping of fucking nothing to eat.

And a muffin is not a fucking meal compared to a full catered hot meal which always happens when all the ETL's are in the building.

Our store was fine with what they provide, and they did, frequently. Christmas, Black Friday and other holidays were very good, nice catering, hoagies, Chinese, pizza, etc. I always brown bagged, even did when I had a real job with an unlimited expense account. If a selection of donuts and a box of Dunkin Coffee was there...terrific. If not...so be it. Lunch in the break room was lunch in the break room, not a fine dining experience.

We finished the weekend with catered chicken parm, baked ziti, and penne alla vodka from a local restaurant that I can’t reveal on here but it was SO GOOD.

My last store's lowest form of provided food was tater tots and applesauce.

Back