Archived Pretty bad at cashiering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there any tips y'all can over me to improve cashiering. I was hired on as a CA but seem to have more cashiering shifts. I tried really hard today but got mostly r's for speed.

I feel like my biggest problem is the bags, they are a pain to get apart. I'm also bad at interacting with guests when I'm trying to focus on bagging and scanning. SO needless to say i didn't get any red cards and upset a few people when I forgot some stuff.

I really dont wanna get termed for being a bad cashier because the team members at my store are pretty cool (at least so far and from when I was just a guest)

Btw this is the absolute first time ive been a cashier, always been a cook or dishwasher at restaurants.

Smile & say hi to guests. Grab all bags to open mode. You are backup only, unless schedule as a cashier.

Tip for the bags: lick your thumb - makes it easier to get the bag open.
Keep the greeting simple: Hi, how ya doin'? Don't forget to use your red card; 5% every time.
When you've bagged up their stuff, walk around & put it in their cart.
That way you can see if there was anything missed in the bottom rack or under the kiddie seat, it also helps you stretch your legs a bit, it gets rid of 'paid & left' merch & it's a good final touch of guest service.

Actually, please don't lick your thumb. It's a good way to get sick and/or gross people out. Grab a paper towel at the beginning of your shift, and get it wet, and put it somewhere near the scanner or keyboard. Then you can wet your thumb with that to get the bags open.

Ah, yeh.....germs galore.
Especially handling meat packages.
What RG said.

Actually, please don't lick your thumb. It's a good way to get sick and/or gross people out. Grab a paper towel at the beginning of your shift, and get it wet, and put it somewhere near the scanner or keyboard. Then you can wet your thumb with that to get the bags open.
lol...oh, it all makes sense now.
I always find folded up wet paper towels that certain cashiers always set on top of their scanners...it irritates me as I always thought it was just a cleaning rag they didn't throw away, and I always go behind them and throw it in the trash...only to find another one minutes later.

I'll cease throwing this away immediately. I understand now lol.

I'm the nasty one that licks their thumb, so I guess that's why I didn't put two and two together. whoops.

Are there any tips y'all can over me to improve cashiering. I was hired on as a CA but seem to have more cashiering shifts. I tried really hard today but got mostly r's for speed.

I feel like my biggest problem is the bags, they are a pain to get apart. I'm also bad at interacting with guests when I'm trying to focus on bagging and scanning. SO needless to say i didn't get any red cards and upset a few people when I forgot some stuff.

I really dont wanna get termed for being a bad cashier because the team members at my store are pretty cool (at least so far and from when I was just a guest)

Btw this is the absolute first time ive been a cashier, always been a cook or dishwasher at restaurants.

Don't focus too much on the speed score. You just started, it takes time to get speedy. Focus on accuracy instead, and speed will just come naturally as you get more comfortable.

As far as being bad at interacting with guests...don't worry. If you can't make conversation through the transaction, fine. We aren't all made that way, myself included. I just don't do small talk. It's not in me...if I'm in a super amazing mood I can get away with it some days, but more often than not I just smile and nod and give enthusiastic, simple responses to whatever they're saying, just so it seems like I'm listening. Just greet them, smile, and do that and you won't have a problem. Tell them to have a nice day after it's all done, and you're good.

The only thing that will really piss your leaders off is not talking about RedCards. Just do that and you're in the safe zone. If you need help, there's plenty of awesome advice on these forums regarding RedCards, and you can also work with your leaders on RedCard acquisitions and such, if you feel like you need help. They should be more than willing to help you - they want you to get those Redcards. And that's really all they want. Get Reds and don't be a dick. Keys to being a successful cashier.

Another alternative is to use SortKwik. Target doesn't sell it, but most office supply stores do.

If the bags aren't opening I just claw at the bags until I find one that will. If there's any that remain intact I'll use them for the next guest or put them up on the holders when I'm done. I've had good luck with bags lately at least and even then only had to toss out a bag or two a shift.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back