Archived Problems with LOD....how should I handle it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone. I work hardlines, and seem to be well liked in terms of work ethic by virtually everyone I work with, TM or higher. Not to gloat or anything. I won't even say I'm a "great" worker, but I simply try to work quickly and efficiently, drive sales, help out where I can, do what I am asked, etc etc. Obviously it's nothing to write home about, but in my store where we have a lot of people who simply don't care, I guess I look better by comparison. But I digress.

Here's my dilemma. Every LOD I work with has no apparent problems with me, compliments my zone, etc etc. We go in, we work, that's it. The TL in market even requests me to do it when I'm there, for some reason. I get called in a lot, get more hours, etc etc. So I thought I was coming together as an employee. But one LOD never stops at getting on me. About two weeks ago, she criticized the way I zone, said it was terrible, and I need to step up. The zone was exactly the same as it always is when I work (give or take), and I have never heard any complaints before. But it gets stranger.

I think this LOD is either just screwing with me, or legitimately is trying to sabotage me. A few weeks ago for ad takedown, I got stuck with the two most ad filtered sections of our store (non softlines). I am still new to the store in general and still have trouble doing well with ad takedown, so I requested help from her. Not only did she not help, but she went to go help another team member who had two of the easiest sections, and has been there longer and has more experience. So at the end of the night when I was struggling immensely, she got on my case and said I need to go faster and work harder.

Whenever we work together, she gives me arbitrary directions, like "go to B13 and zone that section from there". She'll then go to, say, B7 about twenty or thirty minutes later and ask why it's not zoned well. One night, she told me I focus on go backs too much, and only get them once or twice during my shift. The next night, she got irritated when I had too many go backs.

On a personal level, she doesn't even say hi or try to be friendly. Multiple times, I will say hi or wave to her when I come in or such, and she ignores me. When I came in yesterday, she made a remark about how my zone looked from yesterday. I then asked the TL who was in my zone after me, and they said it looked very good and they were happy with the zone. I was confused.

I understand that the LOD is in charge and makes decisions, which is why I listen, but I feel like she's trying to tread me around so that she has evidence against me or something. I don't want to go to HR and start drama, but I really don't know what to do, since it only seems to be getting worse. Help?

Thanks.

Sounds like it's just that one LOD, if your work is fine for other LODs. Chances are your TL works under her at some point, so ask your TL for suggestions. And if all else fails, go to the LOD herself and ask her how you can be more effective in your role just to see what she says.

If she continues to give you trouble, document everything so you have a solid case should you need to go to HR or your STL.

This is what I would do. When she is negative, don't just say "OK" and try to "correct" what you've been doing. Ask her exactly what she dislikes about what you're doing. For example, when she says your zoning sucks, ask her wat exactly you didn't do right in a very nice and sort of naive way. You could also say that you get great feedbacks about your work from other leaders so you are under the impression that you do a good job and you don't understand what she expects from you. Also, if she tells you to zone say B13, ask her specifically what she wants and how long you have to do the task. Keep her informed of your progress. If you see that an area will take longer than expected, you can request backup. That way, if she complains about your job, you have arguments to back you up.

In other words, you need to show her that you're willing to accept her standards. Force her to let you know exactly what she expects from you. Hold her accountable. Document everything. If after some time, she is still nasty, you need to go to HR. And you will have a stronger case. Right now, your case is weak. So try to be the best of the best with her and if it doesn't work, talk to HR.

Last edited:
What everyone else has said. If she has negative things to say about your zone, challenge her on it. Ask her what you can do to improve your technique for next time. Don't just take the negativity at face value - always ask what you need to change!

say like, i am not sure if i did this correctly or let me review on how to do this zone correctly. you can check w/tl first on proper zoning procedures. like freshness checks, zoning to planogram, & pull forward items..etc.

This is what I would do. When she is negative, don't just say "OK" and try to "correct" what you've been doing. Ask her exactly what she dislikes about what you're doing. For example, when she says your zoning sucks, ask her wat exactly you didn't do right in a very nice and sort of naive way. You could also say that you get great feedbacks about your work from other leaders so you are under the impression that you do a good job and you don't understand what she expects from you. Also, if she tells you to zone say B13, ask her specifically what she wants and how long you have to do the task. Keep her informed of your progress. If you see that an area will take longer than expected, you can request backup. That way, if she complains about your job, you have arguments to back you up.

In other words, you need to show her that you're willing to accept her standards. Force her to let you know exactly what she expects from you. Hold her accountable. Document everything. If after some time, she is still nasty, you need to go to HR. And you will have a stronger case. Right now, your case is weak. So try to be the best of the best with her and if it doesn't work, talk to HR.

this is great advice. i would partner with your tl right now, and let him/her know whats going on and ask for feedback. keep documenting everything, and make sure you follow up precisely and track your time.
when you're in hl closing, try to pick up your reshop when you arrive, after breaks and after lunch. that should keep them caught up without being excessive. make sure your zone looks good and call her over there and let her walk it with you and point out good and bad after you go to lunch. i had a similar situation with a tm, and it turned out the etl had heard from other tm that she thought the etl was lazy. so the etl really was giving her a hard time. after a bit, things went back to normal. just make sure if you talk to your etl, pull someone (etl/tl/hr) in there with you.

LAWLS!! Don't go to HR, it's pointless.. The hardlines ETL and hr ETL are going to be friends, and they'll just laugh about it and talk more behind your back... it's pointless. Just be kind back to her and ignore it.. dont take it personally.. sounds like that hardlines etl won't be there for much longer lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back