Archived Promo Gift Card Theft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone. So my gf works at another Target store than I do, and she was recently talked to by an HR ETL about taking and using a promo gift card a guest left behind. From what she has told me, it was on the counter next to the card reader for 15 minutes before she noticed and then put it on the keyboard. Hour later she grabbed it and a few days later used it.

It's the first time she's done anything that would warrant a writeup/termination and she's panicking about never being able to get a job again. What can she expect to happen? Termination? Final Warning? I've worked at Bullseye for 5 years and haven't experienced being near this kind of situation.

We had a great 10 year tm termed for using a gift card he found in the parking lot.

IMHO, she should quit now.

Exactly. Your gf stole from a guest/store. Doesn't matter how you or her can try and justify it. She's a thief. She should quit while she's ahead.

There's no justification for anything but turning it in to the service desk.
Likewise, a TM would not be coached for theft at our store because they'll simply be more discrete 'next time'. And there WILL be a next time.
AP would watch for a 2nd incident to see if it was a single incident or aberration.
If not, instant term.

We has a guy that transferred to another store across and he lost his job for using a gift card he found in the parking lot. I agree with others that might want to start looking for a new job.

I had an ETL "talk to me" because I found some $$ (a $5 bill) in the parking lot and didn't turn it in to GS....now, technically it wasn't in our parking lot, it was in the grass near the parking lot, which we share with a couple of fast food places and other stores (plus, we're on a main road so it theoretically could have flown out of a passing car) and I was actually parked closer to one of the food places than Spot. He happened to see me when we were both leaving and saw me walk to the back of my car and pick it up and asked me the following day what I was doing. Quite honestly, I think he overstepped his bounds because A) I was "off the clock" and B) it's not OUR exclusive parking lot. I have found change and bills IN the store (not to mention other stuff in carts in the lot) and turned ALL of it in to GS or handed it to a cashier (yes, I even gave a cashier a QUARTER I found in the check lane next to hers, thinking it may have fallen out of the till) and he's giving me crap over something I found IN A PUBLIC PARKING LOT?!?!?!

I found $100 in the reshop cart once. It fell out of the pockets of something that was returned. They watch the fitting room like hawks so I called AP and asked what I was supposed to do with it. Give it to GS is the answer I received. I hope the person remembered leaving $100 in the $20 shorts they wore then returned -__-.

Last edited by a moderator:
That sucks, glad I read your warning because I may have done the same thing without thinking twice about it.

Seriously?? Why would you even need a warning to know not to do that??

We've had a handful of people termed at my store for that. The funny thing is that they're all complete idiots the way they do it... they use their team member discount with the gift card. Um hello! Your team member number issued the gift card and is now using the gift card?! HUGE RED FLAG PEOPLE!

During my first month, I accidentally forgot to hand someone their free gift card. Because I didn't know what to do in situations like these, I threw it away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back