Archived Question about accepting gifts

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few days ago a friend of mine was cashiering on his birthday. One of his regulars said happy birthday and gave him some money and now he's scared that he might be in trouble for accepting it. I know it's against policy to accept tips but can he be punished for accepting a birthday gift?

He should seek advice from the GSTL. If AP has any concerns, the GSTL can explain the situation to them.

Tell your friend to just keep hushed about it. Not to tell any coworkers. He won't get in trouble unless he blabs.

I accepted tips all the time back when I was a cart attendant.

CYA...Explain to the GSTL and AP.

Usually money being pocketed by a TM inside the store can look suspicious.

I remember a cashier getting put on CA for talking to a guest about their Mary Kay or some sort of direct sales order.

Nothing wrong with accepting a tip after a carry out in fact it is rude to not accept. Though you should never expect one or assume one is coming.

Nothing wrong with accepting a tip after a carry out in fact it is rude to not accept. Though you should never expect one or assume one is coming.

Actually it is...TMs are not allowed to accept tips or gratuity while on the clock. Even if a guests insists to tip, you are to politely refuse. If they take no for an answer, you are to report it to an ETL as to how handle the money.

Actually it is...TMs are not allowed to accept tips or gratuity while on the clock. Even if a guests insists to tip, you are to politely refuse. If they take no for an answer, you are to report it to an ETL as to how handle the money.

Yeah spot says its wrong, but seriously who gives a **** lol.

We make damn near minimum wage and theres no way that they're going to know a Cart Attendant got a TIP. I suggest any and all CA's to take said tip, and be very polite to the guest and say Thank you, and have a very nice day :) The guest will be like "Wow, the service is really good here, and they're polite!" and will most likely come back. If you refuse the tip, they can get annoyed.

On the huge off chance that AP is stalking parking lot cameras and they see the guest give you "something" (I've seen the cameras, they're ****ty), you can just say it was a business card or info on their church or some BS. If they ask to see it, just say you threw it out. You seriously can't get in trouble for this unless you're stupid.

On the huge off chance that AP is stalking parking lot cameras and they see the guest give you "something" (I've seen the cameras, they're ****ty), you can just say it was a business card or info on their church or some BS. If they ask to see it, just say you threw it out. You seriously can't get in trouble for this unless you're stupid.

I don't know about you, but, even on our oldest VCR Setups, one can zoom in on someone (in a adjoining parking lot, probably about .5 a mile away from the camera itself) and still make out a fairy decent shot of someone... I guess, imho, the setup isn't that "sh@@ty"..

jSqnXSn.png

Yeah, I'm going to tell the ETL who is fudging numbers like crazy, who uses the P-card to pay for their lunch, and who changes the schedule one day ahead of time that I got a measly $1 tip. Right!

I imagine it going like this ...
Me: Hey, I got this tip from a guest and don't want to get into trouble for accepting it. But I didn't want to decline because they were insistent.
ETL: Good for you. Just hand me that and I will take care of it.

ETL walks to food ave and buys themselves a pop for a good job done.

Yeah, I'm going to tell the ETL who is fudging numbers like crazy, who uses the P-card to pay for their lunch, and who changes the schedule one day ahead of time that I got a measly $1 tip. Right!

I imagine it going like this ...
Me: Hey, I got this tip from a guest and don't want to get into trouble for accepting it. But I didn't want to decline because they were insistent.
ETL: Good for you. Just hand me that and I will take care of it.

ETL walks to food ave and buys themselves a pop for a good job done.

Why use money? They can just requisition it, duh.

There have been many times where team members tell me a guest wanted to give them a tip when they did a carryout and they wouldn't take it just because it's against the rules. And they for some reason think that will be the exact time I happen to be watching them on camera. I will then ask them if I can see their phone for a second and they pull it out of their back pocket. I laugh and say so you just showed me you'll break rules right in front of me but you won't if I am not around? Interesting :huh: I would take a tip without hesitation. Strangely being in AP I never seem to get offered any???

Really though unless you stole the $5 from the guest or somehow made the guest feel threatened like he had to tip you it has nothing to do with AP (IMO). TM's sometimes think we are the hall monitors of Target? I suppose some AP probably think they are, but we are only required to report safe & secure violations.

We make damn near minimum wage and theres no way that they're going to know a Cart Attendant got a TIP. I suggest any and all CA's to take said tip, and be very polite to the guest and say Thank you, and have a very nice day :) The guest will be like "Wow, the service is really good here, and they're polite!" and will most likely come back. If you refuse the tip, they can get annoyed.

Typically I agree with what you have to say on here, but the lying about it would usually make it way worse for a TM. Even if nothing happened on that event once you're on the radar and you are being watched nothing good can come out of that for you. The way to not get in any real trouble is just instantly admit to it and say you had never been told that was Target policy. Then they will have a "seek to understand" conversation with you about it and explain the policy to you. No formal corrective action, at most a note in your file documenting it was explained to you on this day by this person.

P.S. only some of our cameras are sh***y, the newer ones are in HD! :excited:

I'm pretty sure I read that if the guest is really insisting you take the tip or seems offended you're supposed to accept it then give it to whatever leader is around. They are then supposed to treat it as lost and found cash, document it in the (typically) non existent lost & found binder, and put it in a guest service register immediately. So ultimately Target just takes the tip from the TM which is really sad when you think about it.

Best rule of thumb when getting questioned by anyone of power play dumb. "Oh I didnt know I couldnt do that I am sorry I wont do it again." or "I do not recall what happened".

Typically I agree with what you have to say on here, but the lying about it would usually make it way worse for a TM. Even if nothing happened on that event once you're on the radar and you are being watched nothing good can come out of that for you. The way to not get in any real trouble is just instantly admit to it and say you had never been told that was Target policy. Then they will have a "seek to understand" conversation with you about it and explain the policy to you. No formal corrective action, at most a note in your file documenting it was explained to you on this day by this person.

P.S. only some of our cameras are sh***y, the newer ones are in HD! :excited:

Yeah I suppose you could always say you didn't know if caught. Would probably be the best thing to do if its your first time getting caught (which I've never heard of at my store). I did have some TMs come to give me TIPS they received and I just put it into the first service desk register per BP. I did give them a quizzical look though on why they didn't just keep it lol.

Yeah since the newer cameras are that good, I guess it wouldn't be a good idea to lie, haha.

I don't know about you, but, even on our oldest VCR Setups, one can zoom in on someone (in a adjoining parking lot, probably about .5 a mile away from the camera itself) and still make out a fairy decent shot of someone... I guess, imho, the setup isn't that "sh@@ty"..

jSqnXSn.png

Oh how I miss our analog at times. Although, I do have full control over my stores quality settings right now :-D

jSqnXSn.png

I am lucky if I even get that quality of video at my work.

jSqnXSn.png

Oh how I miss our analog at times. Although, I do have full control over my stores quality settings right now :-D
Oh please do share your secrets if you are a TVS store. Control over quality settings is my dream. PM me if you have info haha

You're totally right.
But, sometimes guests will put in your pocket, because I've seen it happen, and it's happened to me.
I was helping this little old couple with a blu-ray player, because they just got a new 55" smart tv and they wanted the full HD experience. So I showed them all of the ones we had, and which ones would be best for a smart TV. They were eternally grateful because they said they would have been lost the moment they entered the aisle. The woman offered me a 5 as they were ringing out. I politely said I wasn't allowed to accept tips. She smiled and slid it into my hoodie pocket as I exited the boat after I completed the transaction. She said "they can't say anything about that". I didn't want to correct and her and say yeah they can, so I accepted it. I told my STL at the time and she laughed and said to keep it, because not everyone's that lucky.

The second time, I was helping with a team lift carry out of furniture and this man the cart attendant tips. I don't think it was the cart attendants first time, either, because as we were walking back in, he was like "it was a tenner this time, I love the tens."

So, a good rule is, decline and if they refuse your declination than tell your TL/ETL/STL that a guest gave you money and they'll handle it. Or not.

When I was a newbie I actually kinda pissed off a guest because I said no so many times... Lol.

Easier to just take the money. Heck one time it bought me lunch ;-) Can't complain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back