Archived Question About Fitting DwRoom Attendant-Operator Responsibilities

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone! I'm fairly new (started Dec 3 2013) and have been crosstraining at several different locations. When I learned the Fitting Room Operator/Attendant positions, I was told by the "reigning" FRO that she doesn't do pulls--has been told NOT to do them. Now, because I am fairly new to Target (not retail, mind you-but Target!), I've always offered to do anything that has been asked of me, and I usually like to be proactive and do what I believe needs to be done. This has always worked in the past, and I assumed this would work at Target. My question is...do Fitting Room Operators (FRO) or Fitting Room Attendants do pulls, or do they do work reshop, zone, the Z-rack, and other "fitting-room-specific" duties? I feel like I'm being pulled all over. I was instructed to do reshop, as well as the Z rack, but then a team lead "Told" me to work on pulls, and to do other things for her. Needless to say, my reshop didn't get done (though I was able to at least do one cart of reshop and one full z cart before her "requests" started.) I'm more confused than ever about what I actually am supposed to be doing, because earlier in the day the LDO told me to continue to take care of the Fitting Room (reshop, Z-rack, etc) and when the evening LOD came on (along with this younger Team Lead) everything went out the window and I felt like their personal "gopher". It's not that I'm not willing to do whatever needs to be done, but the core duties are being neglected because I'm at their beck and call (at least the team lead). Help!! Any ideas, suggestions, comments??? ANY would be welcome! (I"ve been told I do a great job by other LOD's and Team Leads, but I seem to rub this gal the wrong way...)

welcome.

Just like any other position you will do what your superiors ask you to do. As a fitting room operator I have never pulled from the back room but I will sort pulls when brought to the fitting room. I will also put the shoes and men's basics away if that is the pull (in my store they are close to the FR).

I start every shift doing the core roles....sorting reshop, doing tags, repackages, zoning the areas around me (when time and chaos allow). I also will work on special projects. More often than not I am asked to close the fitting room early to help zone further away from the rooms.

I am often brought in by a team lead to help her with VA's and when I get there I end up doing everything but that.....you do what the boss says to do.

As a FRO, the core roles that I do is sort out the baskets that come from Guest Service, get out 'my' reshop - which would be mens, activewear, plus size, and maternity, also zone within the radius I can hear the phone and see the fitting room. We're never really told to ever go too far from the fitting room. I've never done pulls when I was a FRO.
Basically, for our store, if you can't see the fitting room from a distance and can't get to the phone on time when it rings you're too far.

The LODs here never ask the FRO to do anything that requires them to be far from the fitting room, they usually just ask anyone that's a softlines TM if it's softlines related.

I agree that "doing what the boss tells you to do" is extremely important, and I have no problem with that at all--however, there seems to be a mis-communication between the LOD (who is also the ETL), and since I was the only one scheduled for the fitting room that day, I wondered what the appropriate duty would be--follow the original LOD, who knew I was the only one scheduled for the fitting room) or disregard his instructions and follow the team leader.As I said before, I have to problem doing whatever is asked of me, but when you have two different instructions...what then?? This team lead is not usually even in Softlines (she works in hardlines usually or with others doing setup)...hopefully I explained this a tiny bit better this time..

I understand what the core roles are for a FRO, and it doesn't bother me in the least to do that AND whatever else (...yes, I've done pulls from the backroom as well--along with cashiering and helping to get carts)..but when I can't even finish my basic duties, I wonder if this is the "natural order" of things, or if this is simploy because Christmas is upon us and there are additional things that need to be done....I guess I'll just have be faster at getting the core duties done so I am able to help with the other projects by giving them my full attention (in between helping guests, that is!) Thanks for the help!

I think I'll just follow orders from the last person who asked me to do something. I keep a notebook of everything I do, so if I am questioned, I can let them know what I've done for the day and who told me to do what. Better to do that than ignore a request at this stage of the game. Thanks again for the responses :)

Christmas is upon us would be a big part of it

When I am asked to do something by a lead that is counter to the instructions I have previously received I say, " Blah Dee Blah asked me to do this, would you like me to finish that first and then do your task? Or your task and then back to the original." MY tl's (softlines) will usually say do theirs first because it's usually a little project, and they can assess where I am in my core duties. If it's another areas TL (and just a TL) I usually do the original task first and theirs is low on my list . If it's an ETL/LOD I go with what they tell me to do. Part of the problem with tasks given to the fitting room is that most tm's and tl's (even ETL's) do not have any real clue what the fitting room operator does.

The leadership knows that I am the one fitting room operator who does what is asked (eventually) of me with a sense of urgency.

It's different for every store, at my store the FRO is never asked to do much because they have to be by the fitting room and with just being an FRO it's already enough. Mostly the LODs and ETL asks the tms on the floor. But I think if something arises where you get two instructions, it's best to explain to the ETL that the LOD told you to do so and so and vice versa. The thing is, just don't do it but communicate with them a little of what was asked of you. As long as you communicate to them about everything they will get a sense of what you'll be taking on and either change their instructions for another tm or just tell you to get to it when you can.

Communication is key!

At my store, the operator does not leave the fitting room without coverage. They focus on assisting guests at the fitting rooms, answering the phone, sorting re-shop, tags/re-wrap, and whatever else they do back there. We have too much fitting room traffic and too many phone calls for them to zone, work re-shop, or push CAFs.

Sounds like some of your stores use the corded handset at the fitting room? That'd be hell. We have 2 cordless handsets for our FRO (1 charging/1 in use or 1 for FRO and one for electronics or whoever to cover breaks/lunches/etc. depending on whatever). Allows/forces the FRO to zone and work go-backs around the fitting room.

Thanks everyone for the excellent responses! We also have the cordless handset which gives me leeway to go a little further than the fitting room alone. I agree that communicating is important--vital, even--so when I am unsure I like to repeat the instructions back to make sure everyone is on the same page. In this situation, I took care of the project and went back to my core duties afterwards. This particular team lead was gone (on vacation perhaps) the rest of the week, and I'm sure she had projects she wanted done before she left. All is good...all got time in a timely manner, so I'm a happy camper! :) Again, the respones helped me for the next time (as I am sure there will be). You all are amazing--thanks so much! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back