Archived Question about transferring to a Distribution Center?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, I am a current backroom team member at a store who consistently gets around 40 hours. Now with modernization rearing its ugly head I am worried about my hours and looking into transferring to a distribution center. I have multiple people I used to work with who transferred there and did not have to go through interviews for a position.

I am horrible at interviews and in the past have tried to transfer to the D.C. and did not get the job because my interviewing skills suck. Can anyone tell me if they still interview potential transfers or not? I will still try to transfer and go through the interviewing process once again if so. There are also temp agencies hiring for the Distribution Center in my area so if worst comes to worst I can try that route lol.

Not sure about other centers but mine is so hard up for people they aren't even interviewing people, just giving a facility tour, explain the position/pay, and have you piss in a cup. I did not transfer from a store and "interviewed" with about 14 other people. We we're all grouped together in the same room after we finished our facility tour. Our HR person walked in, addressed the room and asked "after having your tour, does anyone here not want a job?" They then proceeded into telling each of us what department and key we would be on and how much it would pay.

The only thing that has changed recently at my center is the b1 key is more difficult to get on atm.

No it just depends on the position....packing is like 16 because it is an easier job and the warehouse is around 18 starting out. Not sure about other positions but those are the main two they are usually hiring for.

Not sure about them interviewing transfers, but technically it’s a promotion so I’d assume so. If you google “situational interview” you could get a good idea on what they’d ask and be more prepared. Your leaders should also be able to give you mock interviews and tips to help you out if you ask.

No it just depends on the position....packing is like 16 because it is an easier job and the warehouse is around 18 starting out. Not sure about other positions but those are the main two they are usually hiring for.
Also, your time at the store counts towards your time with the company so you would probably be further along on the pay ladder as well.

I think pay is a “time in position” thing so they’d start the same as anyone walking in. Unless they’re making more than the DC starting wage which they’d get moved to the step just above what they’re already making.

Mass vacation and job change are “time with company”, so they’d benefit there.

Last edited:
Just a word of warning. Working the store backroom is nothing like working in the warehouse. Don't get over your head. You will have to work your ass off in the beginning to make numbers.

I think pay is a “time in position” thing so they’d start the same as anyone walking in. Unless they’re making more than the DC starting wage which they’d get moved to the step just above what they’re already making.

Mass vacation and job change are “time with company”, so they’d benefit there.
I think you may be right but a shorter progression. I know of packers that job change to the warehouse and it takes them 2 years to be maxed instead of 3. Either way, it’s probably higher than store pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back