Archived Question about writeups

Status
Not open for further replies.

whippingboy

Produce Peon
I learned recently from my TL that she has been writing up some of my fellow team members. She says she's been covering multiple offenses under one writeup, so that if they repeat any of those listed offenses again they can get coached/termed.

Are multiple offenses allowed on one writeup?

If they fall under the same category - all Conduct or all Performance - they can group multiple offenses under one write-up (written coaching). However, it would be better to have multiple write-ups about different offenses so there is a greater chance to show a pattern of misconduct or poor performance. Three bad individual conduct or performance coachings can be worthy of a CA. For example, TM climbed steel in backroom, TM found climbing conveyor belt to go upstairs, and TM was riding a flat like a skateboard could equal grounds for a CA. Put all three in a single coaching - now you need 2 more written coachings to justify a CA.

Look at attendance - group being late and calling out on one written coaching and you'll need two more coachings for a CA. Make separate write-ups for late and calling out, next series of being late or another call-out in a short period of time would be a CA.

Your TL still has to follow procedures and give the TM adequate opportunities for improvement. A good HRBP won't allow TMs to go on CA unless they were given the opportunity to improve, unless the action is an immediate FW or Termination.

If they fall under the same category - all Conduct or all Performance - they can group multiple offenses under one write-up (written coaching). However, it would be better to have multiple write-ups about different offenses so there is a greater chance to show a pattern of misconduct or poor performance. Three bad individual conduct or performance coachings can be worthy of a CA. For example, TM climbed steel in backroom, TM found climbing conveyor belt to go upstairs, and TM was riding a flat like a skateboard could equal grounds for a CA. Put all three in a single coaching - now you need 2 more written coachings to justify a CA.

Look at attendance - group being late and calling out on one written coaching and you'll need two more coachings for a CA. Make separate write-ups for late and calling out, next series of being late or another call-out in a short period of time would be a CA.

Your TL still has to follow procedures and give the TM adequate opportunities for improvement. A good HRBP won't allow TMs to go on CA unless they were given the opportunity to improve, unless the action is an immediate FW or Termination.
So TL technically have the authority to issue a write up or CA or do they need to get approval to coach/write up a TM?

A TL does not need approval to do any coaching or CA. Those activities are part of the TLs core roles. A CA needs the signature of the ETL-HR or STL prior to the discussion with the TM. Timeliness is the key to coachings. If a TL needed to go through the chain of command to do a coaching, it weakens the effectiveness of a coaching. If a GSTL sees a cashier reading a magazine rather than standing out at the front of their lane, should that issue be addressed immediately, or should they seek permission to coach the team member?

@CoquiAzul - it's their core role to coach and give CAs/FW. They are encouraged to manage talent.

Some stores follow procedures where TLs have the ability to term TMs. Like ETLs, you need ETL-HR or STL approval first. I trained my TLs to term when needed.

Makes sense for TLs to have this authority since they directly supervise TMs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back