Archived Question for Guest Service people!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifewithtarget

datebest.net - visit website and win smartphone!
When people question about receiving the lowest marked price for a No Receipt return and insist that they paid this much for it, what is the proper response. I just tell them it's our policy for these types of returns, but do I need to elaborate?

The best way to articulate your response would be:

"I'm sorry, but as our return policy states **points to return policy on board over my head**, returns without a receipt MAY BE LIMITED. Sometimes we can do returns without a receipt for store credit, but it will use the lowest sale price in the last 90 days since we do not know how much was paid for the item without a receipt or card lookup."

If it is a cheap item, it may be in the store's best interests to manually change the price for the guest (vibe it out), but for larger price items/discrepancies, I would stick to policy.

Typically I will respond with...

"If you paid for this with a check or credit/debit cart we can try looking up the receipt, but without any proof of payment we can only offer the lowest sale price within the past 90 days in store credit. And that's only because we have no idea when it was purchased, or how much it was purchased for."

I will also usually say "You can try to look for the receipt and come back, but otherwise this is physically the only option we have." This seems to make them respond a little better, in my experience.

Like barcode said, if it's pretty cheap (ie: a few dollars difference) it's probably better to manually change the price.

I always asked the guest if they are sure they paid either by check or card before doing a no receipt. Then I proceeded to say that with a no receipt return that, if it was approved, the return price will be at the lowest marked or sale price.

Are there still yearly limits to the amount you can return without a recipient?
Or did I misunderstand how that worked?

There's a $70 annual limit. It's a soft limit to some extent (and no, I don't just mean it's overrideable, which it is by any GSA/TL+), because if you've exceeded it it will ask the "please swipe most used card or check" which is basically the system doing a "how much does this deadbeat actually shop here, and do they have a redcard" check, which via some black box (i.e. an algorithm none of us has any knowledge of) it can decide to override the limit on its own.

You can also override it using the emergency override code. I've been authorized by our APTL to do so on single item returns <$100 based on my best judgement, because he trusts me not to let anyone make off with the farm. Anything above that I need to partner with the LOD. I've only done so a couple of times in 6 months. One time we had someone nearly blinded by a shatttered food processor, we gave him what he paid for in cash (2 overrides) - I partnered with the LOD on that one.

As far as 90% of guests, I usually say something along the lines of what Barcode and PTS say, and have them go the exchange route, which many are happy to do because it at least gets them something of roughly equal value back. Usually when they come up saying I don't have the reciept I make a point of asking if they used plastic because I want them to get the full refund they're entitled to. Starting off there usually defuses the annoyance on their part before it starts because they see me as trying to do the best I can by them. Then when I have to give them 60% of what they paid on a gift card they know I did my best to avoid that since it's a last resort, which I've clearly explained the logic behind.

All that said if it's for example a piece of clothing they want to exchange, and their NRR will not cover the cost of the exchange and it's something cheap, usually better to manually change either the return amount, or say the exchange is damaged or an ad substitute or whatever. Most people (probably rightly) don't see being unable to exchange something for a different size or whatnot (even if purchased on sale) as right, even without a receipt. It's not a totally unreasonable point. If I bought this tank top yesterday for $5 off, and today it's sunday and now I need a large instead of a medium, saying I owe you the $5 because I need to exchange it and paid cash and didn't hold onto a receipt for a $15 purchase doesn't really sound right. Granted people will try to take advantage of that but GS experience tends to translate into being able to spot the people you should go to bat for vs those trying to take advantage of you.

There's a $70 annual limit. It's a soft limit to some extent (and no, I don't just mean it's overrideable, which it is by any GSA/TL+), because if you've exceeded it it will ask the "please swipe most used card or check" which is basically the system doing a "how much does this deadbeat actually shop here, and do they have a redcard" check, which via some black box (i.e. an algorithm none of us has any knowledge of) it can decide to override the limit on its own.

Wait, really? I was never told exactly why that came up and assumed it was just to check if it was on that card. I always bypass that screen, since I've already tried receipt look up on all their cards.

No, it's just much more likely to work if it is. Works with any plastic, but if it's not a redcard they'll need to be a pretty regular guest and decent spender.

For that reason, I've never tried it with another card...I figure with another card it will just tick them off...especially if it doesn't work.

None of us at my store had ever tried scanning a card when we got that prompt. After reading about it here I've tried scanning cards but it has not made a difference. I'll try with REDCards and see what happens. Thank you!

I have never tried to scan a card when I get that screen...I was told to bypass it and tell the guest they can do an exchange. I feel like my guest service training has much to be desired. Doesn't help that I was trained for an hour or two and only pick up shifts at the service desk once every few weeks. I love that I can actually learn really helpful stuff here!

Likely you were told that because no one in your store knows about it. They didn't at mine until I found out about it (probably here as well).

Yeah I posted it in the POS thread, was surprised how many people didn't know ;)

Just ask for their most used card. Doesn't need to be a redcard either.

Does anyone know about the algorithm for that works? Is there a set amount that it increases per dollar amount spent here?

I've also seen NRRs denied when processed under a regular TM's numbers, but then allowed for same-dept exchange if you sign off and have someone with supervisor numbers log in to process the return. Doesn't work for everything, but it's sometimes worth a shot.

I like having the Emergency Override Code for those issues that need special consideration, but now I'm getting a couple of 'select' team members calling me over for almost EVERY denied no-receipt (I call them my 'over-vibers'). The worst part is, when I get to the service desk, they ask me "Can you use your override code for this?" right in front of the guest. :mad:

Maybe this only bothers me, but I think that's basically telling the guests "I have the ability to override this, but I'm not going to." True, but I don't want every guest I deal with knowing that. It was a whole lot easier when I could [honestly] say "No one in the store has the ability to override this," call 718 if they threw a fit, and then let them tell the guest "no" for me.

That said, I've been training those over-vibe TMs to say "Can we attempt anything else for this guest?" instead. :)

I've also seen NRRs denied when processed under a regular TM's numbers, but then allowed for same-dept exchange if you sign off and have someone with supervisor numbers log in to process the return. Doesn't work for everything, but it's sometimes worth a shot.

I like having the Emergency Override Code for those issues that need special consideration, but now I'm getting a couple of 'select' team members calling me over for almost EVERY denied no-receipt (I call them my 'over-vibers'). The worst part is, when I get to the service desk, they ask me "Can you use your override code for this?" right in front of the guest. :mad:

Maybe this only bothers me, but I think that's basically telling the guests "I have the ability to override this, but I'm not going to." True, but I don't want every guest I deal with knowing that. It was a whole lot easier when I could [honestly] say "No one in the store has the ability to override this," call 718 if they threw a fit, and then let them tell the guest "no" for me.

That said, I've been training those over-vibe TMs to say "Can we attempt anything else for this guest?" instead. :)
I can totally relate to this... We have one GSTM who knows I can override basically anything and now insists that I do it with every guest she can't help. She will say "__ Can you come over to guest service, I need your override code" over the walkie and the guest immediately expects that I will override something for them just because I can. Then they throw a raging fit when I deny them. I always just explain to the team members that it's not about the ability to override everything, it's about being able to uphold policies.

I can totally relate to this... We have one GSTM who knows I can override basically anything and now insists that I do it with every guest she can't help. She will say "__ Can you come over to guest service, I need your override code" over the walkie and the guest immediately expects that I will override something for them just because I can. Then they throw a raging fit when I deny them. I always just explain to the team members that it's not about the ability to override everything, it's about being able to uphold policies.
Have you told them not to say that esp not on the walkie? If you have but they continue to do it isn't that insubordination? Sounds like they need to be written up.

Have you told them not to say that esp not on the walkie? If you have but they continue to do it isn't that insubordination? Sounds like they need to be written up.

It's not insubordination if they are ignoring a GSA. Trust me, I wish there was some formal procedure to enforce my will on others.

The best we can do is teach-and-train them on why it's beneficial to NOT publicly announce that we can override almost anything because it's a lot easier for the guest to handle if they think it's something we physically aren't capable of doing. I haven't needed to pass anything along to my GSTL yet, though

We have a GSA that runs and tattles on people a lot. Those people get called in and it's their word against hers and they get written up. I don't know if I'll ever get used to how the stores all have different rules. Who needs consistency anyway?

Please look at today's (7/21/14) Retail Comic. Perfect for this discussion!

I have a GS question.

What do these two errors mean when they appear after scanning a receipt:

"Receipt has been shut down"
and
"Refund declined, give merchandise back"

Both of these errors happened (separate times) with receipts that were within the return period. Could the second error be coupon related? The most recent time I got it was a couponer using a gift receipt and trying to return the four electric toothbrushes she "changed her mind" about. In that case I followed the POS and denied the return, in other cases I've gotten creative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back