Archived Question: Seasonal FLOW moving from 4a to 6a start times...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alrighty peeps :) So I'm currently a season flow team member and our hours are 0400 to 0900 each day, with 0400 to 1100 on Mondays and Saturdays.

I was talking to the girl in HR this evening, trying to get my schedule tweaked a bit for the start of the year (since I'll likely stay on-board after the season) to accommodate all of my classes, family, general life, SLEEP, etc.

She said that after Christmas, we'll be moving "back" (I use "s because I've never done it before but the store has) to 6am start times and working only M-W-F. Works for me but I have a question about the hours and she couldn't answer it. Figured I'd field it to the group and see what you guys are operating with.

Once we switch back to the 6am start times, what are the approximate finish times? Our store is a low or moderate volume (can't recall what you call it) location and right *now*, our trucks are generally around 1,600 pieces. We've had two or three trucks that have had 2,300 but they're a rarity.

Since the store opens at 0800, I'm curious as to how this is going to work. We generally finish the offload by 0545 and a few of the TMs are pulled between 0430 and 0600 to start the pushes (usually toys and the absolute cluster**** between G20 and G35). Afterwords, we hit C/D and HBA and just roll with it. We never touch anything on softlines or anything like that. We're usually *done*, 100%, at 0900 or a few minutes afterwords.

My biggest concern is that I have an obligation to my fire department to be in the district for calls as much as possible (and they're throwing over $6k my way to help with training and all that jazz. I have to run at least 50% of their calls to keep the deal alive). Right now, I'm missing at least 2 to 3 calls while I'm at work and I'm 30 minutes away as it is. I *need* to be home by 1100 at the absolute latest. Period.

So I'm curious, for those working with 1,500 piece trucks, unloading and bowling as the pallets get loaded, then moving to push while others stay on the line; if you're starting everything at 0600, what time are you usually "scheduled" to finish up (or actually leave, for that matter)? Once 0800 rolls around and the "guests" are buzzing around like gnats, getting huffy over the clutter here and there, pestering the living snot out of us with ridiculous questions etc... it's bad enough. I can't even fathom starting two hours later!

Any input here?

Thanks y'all.

-John

Last edited:
Set your availability so that you leave at 11. It's more important to be able to respond to fire calls than to stay a little later at the store. Make sure to tell them why in the comments field, they're more likely to accept it if you tell them what it's for.

So I'm curious, for those working with 1,500 piece trucks, unloading and bowling as the pallets get loaded, then moving to push while others stay on the line; if you're starting everything at 0600, what time are you usually "scheduled" to finish up (or actually leave, for that matter). Once 0800 rolls around and the "guests" are buzzing around like gnats, getting huffy over the clutter here and there, pestering the living snot out of us with ridiculous questions etc... it's bad enough. I can't even fathom starting two hours later!

Any input here?

Thanks y'all.

-John

i am seasonal too , my first week i worked the regular hours 6- 2 pm , then we switched to 4 am for the season .

right now we finish HBA and market around 8 am which is great , no customers to interrupt our work and we can be as "messy " as we want . but in my first week when we used to start at 6 am , we finish around 10-10:30 and thats includes a 15 min break . and we had to be very clean no card boards on the floor , no food items in shopping carts , boxes on the side..... ect.

personally i prefer the 4 am start, we can finish faster and don't have to deal with angry customers

Alrighty peeps :) So I'm currently a season flow team member and our hours are 0400 to 0900 each day, with 0400 to 1100 on Mondays and Saturdays.

I was talking to the girl in HR this evening, trying to get my schedule tweaked a bit for the start of the year (since I'll likely stay on-board after the season) to accommodate all of my classes, family, general life, SLEEP, etc.

She said that after Christmas, we'll be moving "back" (I use "s because I've never done it before but the store has) to 6am start times and working only M-W-F. Works for me but I have a question about the hours and she couldn't answer it. Figured I'd field it to the group and see what you guys are operating with.

Once we switch back to the 6am start times, what are the approximate finish times? Our store is a low or moderate volume (can't recall what you call it) location and right *now*, our trucks are generally around 1,600 pieces. We've had two or three trucks that have had 2,300 but they're a rarity.

Since the store opens at 0800, I'm curious as to how this is going to work. We generally finish the offload by 0545 and a few of the TMs are pulled between 0430 and 0600 to start the pushes (usually toys and the absolute cluster**** between G20 and G35). Afterwords, we hit C/D and HBA and just roll with it. We never touch anything on softlines or anything like that. We're usually *done*, 100%, at 0900 or a few minutes afterwords.

My biggest concern is that I have an obligation to my fire department to be in the district for calls as much as possible (and they're throwing over $6k my way to help with training and all that jazz. I have to run at least 50% of their calls to keep the deal alive). Right now, I'm missing at least 2 to 3 calls while I'm at work and I'm 30 minutes away as it is. I *need* to be home by 1100 at the absolute latest. Period.

So I'm curious, for those working with 1,500 piece trucks, unloading and bowling as the pallets get loaded, then moving to push while others stay on the line; if you're starting everything at 0600, what time are you usually "scheduled" to finish up (or actually leave, for that matter)? Once 0800 rolls around and the "guests" are buzzing around like gnats, getting huffy over the clutter here and there, pestering the living snot out of us with ridiculous questions etc... it's bad enough. I can't even fathom starting two hours later!

Any input here?

Thanks y'all.

-John

How many people total on the Flow team?

Any input here?

Thanks y'all.

-John

How many people total on the Flow team?

between 12- 20

Thanks for the input so far. And our crew is usually around 15-20 people, probably closer to 15 on most days. Out of that, there's 4 or 5 that are completely blistered/high as a kite every day and/or generally worthless to the team. So say 10 people that actually work and can hustle when needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back