Question?

Hi,
I am a target team member as a cashier. I have a question. Story first. I have high functioning autism and mental health issues and problems. this incident happened on Friday night 2/28/22. I was the only cashier at the check lane and there were a very long line of guests waiting to check out and there was only one self check out person and there were no one at that time that has opened the check lane to get the line moving and I called on the walkie that I need back up and I need someone to relieve me because in 10 minutes I need to clock out and I waited and no one came and I was frustrated and nervous and anxious because the lines were getting very long and I was the only one at the check lane and I got upset and frustrated because the guest were complaining and I burst out yelling because no one came to open the other check lanes and to relieve me and it got me nervous and anxious and I said profanities because of the current situation that I was in at that time.I got called in to talk to the executive team leader of the service and engagement (front end)on Tuesday(yesterday) about the incident that happened on Friday night.i explained about what happened. I was told that there will be consequences for the incident and the executive team leader had to get with Human Resources executive team leader to find out what it will be but I am hoping that it won’t be termination because I do not want to get terminated during this insane covid19 pandemic 😷 because it is hard to find a job/etc.i regret for what happened. I am hoping it is a coaching (write up)because I was never coached in the past. Does anyone know if it will be a termination or a write up?

Depends on their mood. Could be either. Sorry but there’s no way we could know. Good luck. Next time when you’re scheduled off just apologize to the guest. Go to the serv desk and tell them to contact a lead or etl because you are off and going home and there are guests waiting.

If you were in my store i would expect a coaching unless you've had numerous incidents. Your store let you down dont feel bad. Make sure if no one responds on the walkie you call a leader directly. Someone should always be watching the lanes. Im assuming this was a later shift so it may have just been the closing tl in the building so make sure you know who that is just incase.

If you were in my store, you would receive a coaching. You'd also have a chance to tell your side of the story and have your version put in the file. I don't know how long you have worked at Target, or how your SD and ETL will handle this, but it seems like they let you and the guests down. If I understand you correctly, you called on the walkie but received no response. Friday nights are typically pretty heavy with guest traffic. Mentioning that you are in treatment for autism and mental health issues is taken into account also.

You didn't ask, but I'll say it anyway. Start looking at a second job that is mostly non-public facing, and once you found one and are established drop Target like a hot potato. Guests typically can be very triggering when there are issues with socialization and anxiety, and checkouts are the worst because you can't hide away for a few minutes to regain your composure. And of course Target dropped their backroom team which would have been a good position.

Also, you didn't ask but I'm saying it. You qualify for a lot of workplace accommodations. Go to JAN - Job Accommodation Network - https://askjan.org/ and start looking for their recommended accommodations. See if some of them will make you more productive and more at ease when working.

Build up lior that is the absolute wotst I am so sotry yoyr store let you doen like that. Unfortunately not know your manavement no one can say for certsin ehat will happen. Best case coaching probbaly hours reduction. Worst case termination. That that is rare even for bad managment. Next time either abusr the additional assitance button or call and lod or tl and tell them you need to leave at your time please get a replacement to you. Ut sucks but as a cashier you are sadly at the whims of managemwnt when it comes to getting off a lane.

1. Expect some conversation - hopefully a simple ‘seek to understand’ so that you can tell the first hand account of the entire situation from beginning to end. Try not to get overly emotional as you explain the “facts” - you can mention, but certainly not stress your ‘feelings’ - the FACTS of the situation SHOULD explain what happened. In this discussion please remember to ASK how you would be EXPECTED to react in this situation So you know what is ok to do should it happen again.

2. I am so sorry that you were put into that situation - it would have been horrific for ANYONE - to me, no additional information is needed ! I sure hope your management understands that THEY were completely lacking in their schedule making. No tm should feel so abandoned by the rest of the team.

3. I would be so disappointed in your leadership if they were not understanding.

4. Please know that as poor of a situation it was, there really is no absolute policy as to what will happen as a result. Each store may handle it differently based on so many different factors.

5. If you stay with Target - I would ask to be removed from cashiering - this COULD happen again- and understood less next time.

Good Luck.

I would imagine if you have already disclosed the autism/mental health issues with HR upon your hire (or even after) and they have an ADA in place for you then you might get a coaching but there is no way you'll be fired. If you don't have the ADA/disclosure it could really go either way. If you are kept on and don't have the ADA get one IMMEDIATELY. Retail = a lot of face time with guests and they don't get any nicer when they have to wait more than 2 seconds.

Also, for future reference, this was not entirely your fault at all. There is to be someone up front at all times that is either an ETL, TL, or a TM that handles the TL stuff when they're on break. It is up to that person to ensure the lines remain under control and that you're taking breaks and clocking out on time. So (and this is all IMO) even though you may get spoken to about this, the person in charge at that point in time should also be getting coached by the ETL.

Hi,
I am a target team member as a cashier. I have a question. Story first. I have high functioning autism and mental health issues and problems. this incident happened on Friday night 2/28/22. I was the only cashier at the check lane and there were a very long line of guests waiting to check out and there was only one self check out person and there were no one at that time that has opened the check lane to get the line moving and I called on the walkie that I need back up and I need someone to relieve me because in 10 minutes I need to clock out and I waited and no one came and I was frustrated and nervous and anxious because the lines were getting very long and I was the only one at the check lane and I got upset and frustrated because the guest were complaining and I burst out yelling because no one came to open the other check lanes and to relieve me and it got me nervous and anxious and I said profanities because of the current situation that I was in at that time.I got called in to talk to the executive team leader of the service and engagement (front end)on Tuesday(yesterday) about the incident that happened on Friday night.i explained about what happened. I was told that there will be consequences for the incident and the executive team leader had to get with Human Resources executive team leader to find out what it will be but I am hoping that it won’t be termination because I do not want to get terminated during this insane covid19 pandemic 😷 because it is hard to find a job/etc.i regret for what happened. I am hoping it is a coaching (write up)because I was never coached in the past. Does anyone know if it will be a termination or a write up?
Lmk what they decide I’m curious now 🤨

Back