Question

I was told by the ETL of specialty sales I’ll be hired to do style assortment in the back room since I have previous experience in that. Then I would be helping style. Originally she told me if I could start at 4 am and I said no. I can only do 7 am and she said perfect because there’s someone coming in at 8 am then.

Seems to me my ETL has this idea that I applied for style specifically when I did not. I did seasonal for all store positions. And when I got my video interview offer it said, “store team member position.” Not style.

Even if I did apply for style, she made it seem I would be doing style assortment first then help in style. Now it seems I’ll have to wait three weeks until she starts giving me only two breakout shifts. On the meantime; I’m on the floor doing style.

She also said that the person who has to train me for breakout was on vacation for style assortment and also why she didn’t schedule me for a breakout shift.

Seems to be excuses. I did not mind helping style but I thought I would be doing some breakout shifts my second week. And also I don’t like really pushing style. Maybe my bad for accepting to help style. Basically she’s just like deflecting and saying it’s my fault for accepting to apply for style.

Technically, Style is a "Store Team Member Position." In many stores, team members who work on processing the freight in the back either are Style team members OR help with pushing style to the floor. Style freight has been very heavy and sometimes you need to empty racks in order to finish processing the rest of the boxes.

Also, a lot leaders hire candidates for positions other than what they applied for; it really depends on where they need the help more or where they think a better fit might be.

You applied for all open TM positions, which pretty much means you applied for whatever the store needed most. Sounds like you’re a style TM now. I’ll bet if you log onto workday it says style consultant or specialty sales TM or whatever they call style TMs now

You wouldn’t be doing style breakout first if you’re starting at 7am at my store, that’s too late. Ours starts at 5am.

Your ETL isn’t gaslighting you. They don’t care enough to go through that much effort. The ETL HR clicked through your video questionnaire and needed a style TM and keyed you that way, and then told your ETL they hired a new TM for them. They didn’t know you applied for all areas and they don’t care, they need a TM.

Yeah, you’ll hear a lot of excuses if you do a lot of complaining. It’s faster than pulling you in an office and sitting you down to explain the stuff I’m saying here, plus this way you might adapt or adjust and like what we’re having you do. We’re short on time, and if we’re going to spend time appeasing anyone it’s going to be the remaining seasoned TMs we have, not someone under their 90 days. Doesn’t even count against turnover metrics if you quit over it. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I was told by the ETL of specialty sales I’ll be hired to do style assortment in the back room since I have previous experience in that. Then I would be helping style. Originally she told me if I could start at 4 am and I said no. I can only do 7 am and she said perfect because there’s someone coming in at 8 am then.

Seems to me my ETL has this idea that I applied for style specifically when I did not. I did seasonal for all store positions. And when I got my video interview offer it said, “store team member position.” Not style.

Even if I did apply for style, she made it seem I would be doing style assortment first then help in style. Now it seems I’ll have to wait three weeks until she starts giving me only two breakout shifts. On the meantime; I’m on the floor doing style.

She also said that the person who has to train me for breakout was on vacation for style assortment and also why she didn’t schedule me for a breakout shift.

Seems to be excuses. I did not mind helping style but I thought I would be doing some breakout shifts my second week. And also I don’t like really pushing style. Maybe my bad for accepting to help style. Basically she’s just like deflecting and saying it’s my fault for accepting to apply for style.
This year it doesn't seem like seasonal has separate applications for departments. Seasonal is seasonal and they put you wherever they have the highest need or where they seem to think you'll fit. Style breakout/sort training would likely start on the floor so you can learn the departments, then they train in the breakout which is in the back room. It's unlikely you'll be moving from that without your ETL's blessing or heading into the HR ETL with a good reason. If you really hate it I'd say something quickly because they're going to be filling up other positions. Each day your chance of moving will get smaller.

Back