Archived Questions about becoming an ETL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a current team member at target. I have worked for target just under 2 years and have been asked by various etls and even the stores stl to move workcenters to help out that work center. I have worked cashier, sales floor, logistics (flow, instocks, backroom, plano, signing) where I was actually a trainer for logistics department and now I have been moved into AP at the request of the ETL of AP, STL, and APBP. I am about to apply for the ETL internship after I talk with my ETL and STL about the program. My question or concern is I am not a business major. I am a criminology major with a minor in business, but I am going into a master program for business. My question is would my criminology degree affect me going into the internship program and becoming an etl. Also how do you get assigned to what department you will become an etl of. If i had a choice I would like to go ETL logistics or ap but would really love to go into AP and move up from there.

I am a current team member at target. I have worked for target just under 2 years and have been asked by various etls and even the stores stl to move workcenters to help out that work center. I have worked cashier, sales floor, logistics (flow, instocks, backroom, plano, signing) where I was actually a trainer for logistics department and now I have been moved into AP at the request of the ETL of AP, STL, and APBP. I am about to apply for the ETL internship after I talk with my ETL and STL about the program. My question or concern is I am not a business major. I am a criminology major with a minor in business, but I am going into a master program for business. My question is would my criminology degree affect me going into the internship program and becoming an etl. Also how do you get assigned to what department you will become an etl of. If i had a choice I would like to go ETL logistics or ap but would really love to go into AP and move up from there.

While it is true you don't need a business degree to be an ETL, I don't know why they would take on an intern that isn't a business major. It would just be kind of weird. You don't internship outside your field. I don't know if it is possible to intern in AP? I have never seen it, if it is. Its possible they'll take you on since you already work for Target though. Good luck either way.

I am a major in criminology and a minor in business as well, I am about to complete my sophomore year and pretty sure the internship for this summer is full. Application process for the 2014 summer start soon though and I have my interview in august with my STL and DTL and then a phone interview with the internship coordinator. Having your STL on your side will make that process a lot easier.

But no, you can have essentially any degree and be an ETL.

I am a major in criminology and a minor in business as well, I am about to complete my sophomore year and pretty sure the internship for this summer is full. Application process for the 2014 summer start soon though and I have my interview in august with my STL and DTL and then a phone interview with the internship coordinator. Having your STL on your side will make that process a lot easier.

But no, you can have essentially any degree and be an ETL.

It depends on your district if the internship is full or not. I just received my internship offer yesterday and the interview process took place over the month of February.

I follow target careers on LinkedIn and Twitter and they are still advertising for campus careers fairs and internship... If you want to apply, do it sooner rather than later!

Your degree doesn't matter. Although most ETL's are business majors, I've met some that are history or even criminology majors. The internship is what you want it to be - your campus recruiter will ask for your first and second choices in work center and they will do the best to accommodate your wishes. You do not get to choose your store, but when I was an intern there was another intern that was a TM before and kept her old store. There was also an intern that was assigned a store 60 miles away from her home because she indicated that she didn't mind commuting more than an hour each day. So, when you get to this question...be realistic. Lol. If you are going into an advanced internship after your first summer there's a high chance you'll change stores. Depends on your DTL.

Partner with your ETL-HR and STL about the application process. You will have to pass the equivalent of your executive interviews - one with a recruiter, one with an STL, one with your DTL and the final one with your Group Leader. It's rough, but do-able. There's a very small chance that you'll be placed into LOG after graduation seeing as most districts only place individuals with ETL experience into the role due to the high team leadership requirements, but you'll have a good shot at AP. Trust me...as a former intern, you would NOT want to start out as LOG. One day of LOG training was enough for me to rule it out during my internship. :wacko:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back