Archived Questions about what can and cannot be returned

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, a lady asked me if she could return foundation the other day, and I said she could as long as it was unopened. She said "but how will I know if it's the right color?" She went and asked guest services after checking out, and they told her she could return it. I don't know if she made it clear that it might be opened or not. Anyway, I'm a little confused about what can and can't be returned.

I know that video games/movies can't be returned after they are opened unless there is a defect.

I know that new clothing can be returned, even if tag is no longer on it.

I know that certain products can be returned, even if they are open (like a heater).

Any advice? I don't work in guest services, but people ask me these questions all the time.

It really depends on your store and how much they want to vibe it. We pretty much return everything if they have a receipt. We would for sure return opened make up.

It just seems crazy to me that Target would accept returned makeup. I mean, they can't resell it, so they just have to throw it away. It seems counterproductive to making profit.

Merchandise that has been opened/used is defected out depending on the item, namely if it cannot be returned to saleable condition. The company absorbs this loss & will continue to do so until it begins to have a noticeable impact on profits.

It really depends on your store and how much they want to vibe it. We pretty much return everything if they have a receipt. We would for sure return opened make up.

We tell people it has to be unopened, but in reality, we'll take it back. Frankly, there isn't much we won't take back, thanks to the vibe. Other stores near us turn down stuff for no particular reason, just to get out of the return. Then we get stuck with their returns. When in doubt, ask your GSA/GSTL or whoever is at guest services. They'll know your culture better than we do.

"We promise to attempt a return on every item purchase by scanning your receipt, packing slip, offering receipt look-up or a non-receipted return or exchange with valid identification. Most unopened items in new condition returned within 90 days will receive a refund or exchange. Some items have a modified return policy that is less than 90 days and will print a "return by" date under the item on the receipt."

Generally, we want to satisfy the guest and we will offer returns on most items. If for any reason we have to deny, we just go back to this stated policy and tell the guest no. (who will call for the LOD then override whatever decision we made).

Electronics will be accepted with 30 days (60 days during the Holiday season). Electronics must have all accessories that came with the product. If the product is covered by the ESP and outside of the refund policy, the guest MUST contact the ESP company for repair or replacement.

Games/Music/Movies are exchanged after opening. When performing the exchange, open the package so guest can't return the unopened item.

If a guest has lost the packaging, we will offer return if we carry the same item and can verify it's the same item that's listed on the receipt.

If the guest lost the receipt and receipt is not successful, we will offer a non-receipt return when allowed. NEVER promise the guest that we can return it (especially if the guest calls!)... It depends on the item, if the guest has used up their $70 per year, and other factors. Always refer to guest service or the LOD. We can only do what the POS will prompt, and this can ONLY happen when the guest is in the store.

Bullseye nailed it. Essentially attempt to return anything, I work guest service most of the time and doing a return I feel is a great way to earn guests loyalty. Knowing they have protection on the things they purchase is a huge importance to them, especially if they spend a lot of money at spot. I do at least 1 open make-up return a day, it's part of doing business. Although you do try and return everything for every guest there are situations when you cannot and even some when you shouldn't. Some people try to swindle around our policies and make money.

Actually happened to me today:

*phone rings*
Me: Target in Anytown, can I help you find something? (Mentally noting this is from the next closest spot on the caller ID)
Caller: guest services.
Me: this is.
Caller: hi, I just bought an iPad from you on Black Friday, I opened it up, and decided I didn't like the color. Can I return it?
Me: (rather confused since they are calling from another Spot): do you have the original packaging and receipt?
Caller: yes.
Me: then yes, we will take it back.
Caller: oh. This is the STL at the other Spot. So we take it back?
Me: yes. (What the hell?)
Caller: even if it's open? What do you do with it?
Me: yes, even if it's open. We defect it out and it gets sent back to the crc.
Caller: even if it's never been turned on? That seems like such a waste.
Me: well, the crc will make sure it gets to the right place to get it refurbished. (I assume)
Caller: ok, thank you. Is your STL in?
Me: no, he's off this weekend.
Caller: ok, have a good day.

I was (and still am) so confused.

Actually happened to me today:

*phone rings*
Me: Target in Anytown, can I help you find something? (Mentally noting this is from the next closest spot on the caller ID)
Caller: guest services.
Me: this is.
Caller: hi, I just bought an iPad from you on Black Friday, I opened it up, and decided I didn't like the color. Can I return it?
Me: (rather confused since they are calling from another Spot): do you have the original packaging and receipt?
Caller: yes.
Me: then yes, we will take it back.
Caller: oh. This is the STL at the other Spot. So we take it back?
Me: yes. (What the hell?)
Caller: even if it's open? What do you do with it?
Me: yes, even if it's open. We defect it out and it gets sent back to the crc.
Caller: even if it's never been turned on? That seems like such a waste.
Me: well, the crc will make sure it gets to the right place to get it refurbished. (I assume)
Caller: ok, thank you. Is your STL in?
Me: no, he's off this weekend.
Caller: ok, have a good day.
I was (and still am) so confused.

You handled it well.

I return pretty much anything UNLESS it all seems sketchy, like the people that try to return TONS of toothbrushes without a receipt and want it put back on their card.

So, a lady asked me if she could return foundation the other day, and I said she could as long as it was unopened. She said "but how will I know if it's the right color?" She went and asked guest services after checking out, and they told her she could return it. I don't know if she made it clear that it might be opened or not. Anyway, I'm a little confused about what can and can't be returned.

I know that video games/movies can't be returned after they are opened unless there is a defect.

I know that new clothing can be returned, even if tag is no longer on it.

I know that certain products can be returned, even if they are open (like a heater).

Any advice? I don't work in guest services, but people ask me these questions all the time.
It really depends on your Target's return guidelines, there should be a grid or guidebook on exactly what can be returned. Then your store's preference about vibing guests. Then examine the item and use your best judgement.

With valid 90 day receipt
- Packaging must be original or like new condition.
- Follow any printed limitations on the receipt
- Video games/CDs/DVDs - These items can be exchanged for the exact same title. Exchanging for in between formats/systems is allowed. New item has to be opened. Old item must be defected out.
- Video game systems or high end electronics or Apple Products - I would suggest having an experienced Electronics TM, GSTL, or LOD make the judgement on that.
- Bikes: stores have varying rules. Some say only the LOD can make the judgement. Some say if any of the tire is worn or any signs dirt or being of been ridden excessively...refuse the return.
- Clothing can be returned as long as it looks like it hasn't been noticeably worn. Though stores will accept clothing no matter what, and defect the worn clothing out.
- Makeup/HBA product : you can return and defect out the item as long as the item looked like it was being tested. If like half/all of it is gone, then I would refuse.
- Food Product you are to return the product as long as there is an amount left.
- Target Branded: There is some rule there.
- If it was an item is opened or seal broken and says 'Do Not Return to the Store.' Its usually like large sized items, items that possible contain/come into contact with bodily fluids/hazardous materials....then Refuse the return
- Greeting cards as long as they not marked

Last edited:
A lot of drugstores take back opened makeup. I've read elsewhere online that Target doesn't and I've always been hesitant about buying cosmetics and skincare from Target. The reason drugstores allow returns on it is because colors don't look the same on skin as in bottles and sometimes products cause a reaction, and at a drugstore, or a target or walmart, you can't get a sample, or use a tester like you could at a store like Sephora (who also takes returns, actually). I think cosmetic returns are mostly done because people who buy them, buy them over and over and over again. Also, because most people just won't return the drugstore stuff even if it doesn't work out. I've never actually returned drugstore stuff, but I like having it as an option. I've made returns to Sephora, though. No one's keeping a $40 foundation that doesn't work as expected.

Unrelated to the makeup question, but does anybody know if clearance items are regular return policy?

I like to passive-aggressively reinforce with guests that we're a store, not a trial or rental shop, when I'm working at the service desk. In a FFF way, of course..

How exactly do you do that?

It's totally situation based. You kinda have to feel-out the conversation and figure out an appropriate way to slip in a "well it's a good thing we can take back unused clothes." I don't get the opportunity to do it with other returns often, but when I do, I take it lol. Anything to get the idea in their minds that they're BUYING from us, not renting.

Unrelated to the makeup question, but does anybody know if clearance items are regular return policy?

Yes. But in order to get back the full amount they paid, they have to have their receipt or a card/check/gift card for receipt look-up. Once an item goes salvage, it can no longer be returned via no-receipt return.

Yeah, as long as the computer allows it, we pretty much take back anything and everything. It's a sad situation.

The other day, I had a woman return a pound of butter, and a bag each of brown sugar and powdered sugar. I asked her if there was something wrong with them. She said, "Nope. I just bought more than I needed to." Really, lady?? You're making me throw out perfectly good food because you don't need it immediately? That's what refrigerators and pantries are for.

I just made a big show of taking my time and talking fairly loudly about how I was just waiting for the "destroy" tags to print out, hoping to embarrass her in front of the long line of guests.

I'll return anything, but needlessly returning food and forcing us to throw it out pisses me off.

I am not sure but there are some dry goods that can be overridden and be combined with a store's food donations.

Yeah. We can donate dry or canned goods. But I've seen people return cooler/frozen/opened items and it just drives me up the duckin' wall.

I hate food returns and try to let them know they are being tossed.

Depending on who you get at my store, some of us will vibe a no receipt return on salvage items for the last selling price (if we can find someone with a PDA before the guest gets impatient and leaves).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back