Archived Questions for cashiers/Guest services/GSA/GSTL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never threatened them over anything. I actually got a good comment card over how I treated them WHILE handling a boat load of work myself (back stocking, push carts, security and POG's).
I was straightaway nice to them, showed them how to do things that they needed to do properly (security stuff), a few of them were really into it, they were really excited and upbeat. Others just seemed like they couldn't care less, which is whatever to me because I figure if that's the attitude they bare during the time they work here, they won't last too long.

I asked them not to play on the phones purely because I knew the ETL was heading our way and I didn't want them to get in trouble for it.

Surprisingly enough there really wasn't much for them to do. I had a few of them spiderwraping and the ones who didn't want to stay went home (ETL approved leaving early.).

The incident with the camera was a separate day, they were supposed to be zoning but a group of about 10 were all crowded around one small area doing nothing. I told them to act like they were doing something (be productive) because there was a camera and if the LOD saw them, they could get in-trouble.

All my GSTL's have said I would make a good GSA because they know I'm friendly to TM's and guests regardless of my workload or stress level, and I get everything done while still helping others with their tasks. If I was rude to the TM's I'm sure they would know, the GSTL's have friends that are new TM's. After today I can say that the TM's like me, apparently they were just tired because it was the last hour of their shift and they wanted to go home. I trained two more people and ran around like a mad person helping each department with whatever they needed done.

I understand that from my original post it likely sounded like I was rude to them or had this odd superiority complex just from having been appointed supervisor of them, but honestly I wrote all that when I was still stressed about what had happened and worried we were going to lose TM's (we did, they terminated five of them.).

I would never threaten a TM or boss them around. They were assigned tasks before I was appointed supervisor. I just helped them out and made sure they did everything properly then assigned new tasks when they finished. The ones who didn't want to do anything else just went home. >.<

It's frustrating to have lost five TM's after about a week, but like I said, the LOD's watch the camera's... The other new TM's are more careful now, and they've improved SOOO much in their cashiering skills. (except stupid training mode never wants to work properly).

=\

I've pretty much decided to just watch their backs so they don't get in trouble. That's how my GSA did it, he would let me know if I was breaking a rule that I wasn't aware or if I needed to do something a certain way, especially when he forewarned me that the LOD's could see us on the check lanes from their above offices.. Best thing I ever learned. Lol saved me a lot of grief. :p

Theres a fine line between requesting something and ordering something.... I agree, if you're just "filling in", you should only request stuff of people, and if they are giving you attitude, I would partner with the GSA/GSTL so they can address it and not you. Getting into a pissing match with a problem TM while you're just "filling in", is no fun ;)

Now once you become a GSA, you can bark orders all you want if people are giving you attitude. As long as what you're asking is reasonable and makes sense, partner with the LOD/GSTL if you still have problems with certain team members being insubordinate. GSAs can make corrections as long as it is "training" and not a "coaching". You should be focusing on the positive and just giving them information on what they should be doing.

I've made friendly requests before, and I've been rudely told no, and I've had to turn my friendly requests into "I need you to do this". Pretty sure every store has their fair share of problem TMs, and I'm sure other GSA/GSTLs out there will agree with me... haha.

Now for a couple of your scenarios....

Instead of telling them to "look like they're doing something", I would just ask one of them "Hey _____ can you help with this?" And turn their lane light off and relocate them to do something more productive like working reshop/zoning. It sounds like there was a group zoning, so I would have split them all up into different areas instead of wave zoning.

I would have just partnered with an ETL on the phones thing.

The key thing is to just act like nothing is wrong, make friendly requests, and partner with leadership on your observations. If one of those TMs went to GSTL/LOD saying that you were ordering them/coaching them, you could get in trouble (at least at my store).

Last edited by a moderator:
Out of common courtesy we ask cashiers to ask before they use the restrooms. It had been getting out of hand with people just going when the lines were long and there were others out on meal or breaks.
As a cashier who covers GSA/gstl breaks, I have only had one tm give me lip. I told her not to get snippy. She made a mountain of it. HR told her that gstl's need me to cover the front end at times.

I try to ask TM's to do things.. Such as using the words, if you could, or when you have time.. I also do it with cart attendants..use lots of pleas and thanks you's - but not in a condescending way.. Be real about it.. Real earns respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back