Archived Questions from a new TM!

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

new46

Hello! I recently completed orientation and I have my first shift coming up.

I've never worked in retail so I'm not sure what to expect. I was hired as a softlines teammember, but I do have a few cashier shifts on my schedule. Like I said, I don't have any retail experience so I'm quite nervous about my cashier shifts/working in retail in general! I do have a few questions...

1) Exactly how do I use the time clock? Do I enter my TM # and THEN press "start work" OR do I press "start work" and then enter my TM # ?

2) When I walk into the store on my first day, should I immediately go to the time clock and clock in for the day? And THEN go to guest services/HR and tell them I'm here for my cashier training shift? OR do I need to connect with my trainer first before clocking in?

3) Are specific lockers assigned to teammembers? Or do you choose a new locker to use every day?

4) What does a typical cashier shift look like? Am I scanning and bagging my entire shift? What do I do when things slow down?

Thank you so much!

1. Start work then your number. It might not work your first week, and will make a loud beeping noise. There is a call box with a button to get an LOD (Leader On Duty) to come help.

2. Punch in first, then go to the Service Desk.

3. Choose a new locker every day.

4. Your supervisor will be able to tell you, but for most cashier shifts, it's mostly scanning, bagging, ask for Redcards.

1. Start work then your number. It might not work your first week, and will make a loud beeping noise. There is a call box with a button to get an LOD (Leader On Duty) to come help.

2. Punch in first, then go to the Service Desk.

3. Choose a new locker every day.

4. Your supervisor will be able to tell you, but for most cashier shifts, it's mostly scanning, bagging, ask for Redcards.

This is more helpful than you know! Thank you soso much!

Welcome to Target and welcome to The Break Room.

As you see, we're here to help with any questions you have. Please ask away if you need help!

Enjoy the ride.

welcome53.gif

Usual cashier shifts are baggin and scanning for the most part.. if you have self checkout and are trained for it you may be over there but that happens a month or so in... When it slows down you usually zone your area like pulling all the candy and gum to the front and making the area look full.. if it's really quite sometimes they borrow a cashier to help out zoning bullseyes playground and trying to make that look nice (which is Nearly impossible) also making sure the endcaps between registers look clean and full...
Welcome to the team! And TBR! :p

In normal stores, new hires are scheduled a couple shifts as a cashier so they become more comfortable with cashiering.

Everyone is trained as a cashier.

Also...at my store, you would just wait in the TSC for your trainer.

Standing around in TSC waiting for your trainer won't give a positive first impression. If you're scheduled as a cashier, go to Guest Serivce and tell them it's your first day and scheduled as a cashier. If you're scheduled in Softlines on your first day ask someone to call the LOD for you.

Standing around in TSC waiting for your trainer won't give a positive first impression. If you're scheduled as a cashier, go to Guest Serivce and tell them it's your first day and scheduled as a cashier. If you're scheduled in Softlines on your first day ask someone to call the LOD for you.

Please follow the above advice. Also, See if they have a Learning Plan for you and be adamant about doing all of the training on it and picking up all of the knowledge you can, because there can be issues with training being completed in a timely manner at the stores. Hopefully yours is on top of it. Good luck!

Thank you everyone for your responses! I am feeling A LOT better about my first day.

Another question... my orientation leader did show me how to use the lockers. After I clock in, is it acceptable to go ahead and put my stuff in a locker and then head over to guest services? Or do I need to wait for my trainer to "instruct" me about locker use?

Sorry about all these "silly" questions. I like to be ahead of the game.

Locate a working locker (for those of us who have the digital ones), stow your stuff THEN clock in.
Follow the advice above.
Remember which locker you used.

Greetings and salutations.

Welcome to The Break Room.

I think everyone pretty much covered your questions so I will just offer a piece of advice, wear good shoes.

Locate a working locker (for those of us who have the digital ones), stow your stuff THEN clock in.
Follow the advice above.
Remember which locker you used.
Makes sense! Thank you!

How will I know that I have clocked in correctly? Does a message pop up on the time clock?

Only if you clock in wrong.
Otherwise it just gives a single beep.

How will I know that I have clocked in correctly? Does a message pop up on the time clock?
It will give a single beep and briefly show your name and hours worked so far this week.

If you do it wrong, it will give three long beeps and display the error message (and at my store if anyone is nearby, they will say "ohh rejected!").

My first cashier training shift went well, thank you so much for the help! I do have a few more questions if you don't mind...

1) How do I go about logging out of the register when my shift is over?
My trainer did show me, but I've already forgotten :(

2) I have a second cashier training shift coming up. What do I need to do after my shift has ended?
Do I need to call somebody to my register and tell them that my shift is over and that I'm clocking out for the day?
Today my trainer was close by my entire shift so she gave me the go ahead to clock out, but what should I do my next shift?
Is somebody going to come up to me and tell me that it's okay to clock out? I feel strange about just walking away from the register LOL

There is a button that says sign out, I think.

When it is approaching your time to leave, you can shut off your light. Usually, the GSTL will tell you when it is time, but sometimes it gets busy and they don't get to it.

There is a button on the keyboard labeled sign out. Any time you walk away from the register, press it.

Clocking out is the same as clocking in just press end work instead of start work.

Honestly it depends usually what I do is turn off my light a couple mins before my shift is over telling guests I'm not open even tho they still come down my lane... Yea I turn my light off then leave and sign off walk up to my gstl and say am I good to go 99% of the time I am but if I'm needed to quickly help cover a break I'll stay for a bit extra... as you are much newer that probs won't happen unless you are much more confident

Sorry for all the questions :(
I'm not sure that I'm ringing up gift cards correctly...?
During a shift a guest was purchasing a gift card (a gift card that WASN'T a Target gift card), and so I flipped the gift card over and rung it up. My screen then said "scan activation barcode" so I scanned the same barcode. Does that activate the gift card? The transaction did go thru... is it really that simple?

Sorry for all the questions :(
I'm not sure that I'm ringing up gift cards correctly...?
During a shift a guest was purchasing a gift card (a gift card that WASN'T a Target gift card), and so I flipped the gift card over and rung it up. My screen then said "scan activation barcode" so I scanned the same barcode. Does that activate the gift card? The transaction did go thru... is it really that simple?
As long as at one point or another you scanned the "funny looking barcode" aka PDF417 barcode you're fine. Also the transaction will not go through if it wasn't done properly. It will say like wrong barcode try again.

That was a situation where you should have 100% called your GSA/GSTL over. Anytime you see something you don't know how to do call them over. It's just always better safe than sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back