Archived Questions from a new TM!

Status
Not open for further replies.
As long as at one point or another you scanned the "funny looking barcode" aka PDF417 barcode you're fine. Also the transaction will not go through if it wasn't done properly. It will say like wrong barcode try again.

That was a situation where you should have 100% called your GSA/GSTL over. Anytime you see something you don't know how to do call them over. It's just always better safe than sorry.
Ok, thank you so much. The transaction did go thru, so I must have done something right. I just thought that it was strange just how simple it was and I was second guessing myself.
And I agree, it is better to be safe than sorry. I turned my light on SO many times during my shift. I hope I didn't annoy my GSA/GSTL with all my questions :/

Ok, thank you so much. The transaction did go thru, so I must have done something right. I just thought that it was strange just how simple it was and I was second guessing myself.
And I agree, it is better to be safe than sorry. I turned my light on SO many times during my shift. I hope I didn't annoy my GSA/GSTL with all my questions :/
Ha trust me I ask tons of questions too. Any GSTL/GSA who cares at all about their store and job would rather have you ask more questions and get it right then ask none and get it wrong.

Sorry for all the questions :(
I'm not sure that I'm ringing up gift cards correctly...?
During a shift a guest was purchasing a gift card (a gift card that WASN'T a Target gift card), and so I flipped the gift card over and rung it up. My screen then said "scan activation barcode" so I scanned the same barcode. Does that activate the gift card? The transaction did go thru... is it really that simple?

I see kids just scanning the gift cards across the scanner. Makes me nuts.

If you care, try this:

Flip the card over
Get the scanning gun
Look for the UPC code
Cover the other non-UPC bar code with your hand
Scan UPC code.
Your screen will tell you to scan the activation barcode.
Now cover the UPC code
Scan the other code.
The gift card will then be on the screen, just like any other item in the sale, with the amount shown.

With graduation season coming, I'll be ringing LOTS of these.
Just remembered a grand-nephew graduating high school; guess I'd better grab one too ;)

When I grab my walkie after clocking in and need to get ahold of my team to find out what my tasks are for the day, what do I say into the walkie?
Am I supposed to say "ETL softlines" or is it "TL softlines" ? I was told but I completely forgot and I don't want to make myself look like a fool LOL.
This is probably such a silly question but I don't quite know all the Target "lingo" yet!

When I grab my walkie after clocking in and need to get ahold of my team to find out what my tasks are for the day, what do I say into the walkie?
Am I supposed to say "ETL softlines" or is it "TL softlines" ? I was told but I completely forgot and I don't want to make myself look like a fool LOL.
This is probably such a silly question but I don't quite know all the Target "lingo" yet!

ASANTs but having worked at four different stores over my Target career I would say pretty universally you would say
"Salesfloor this is new46 clocking on for the day".

You will then typically ask "LOD, this is new46 where do you want me to jump in?" Some stores will have you check in with the TL instead. A simple look at the grid to see who the TL is "TL Jake, what's your location"

If you are really new you will probably just need to find your trainer.

Also at my store, you need a valid ID that matches the credit card being used to purchase any prepaid VISA/Mastercard over $100. Cashiers all know this but Salesfloor TMs forget because they just come up to backup. So Scammer McScammer will go up to a newbie/or non-cashier TM and purchase lots of $ in prepaid GCs using a stolen credit card.

At my store they say something like "hey LOD this is [name] here for my softlines shift."

You never know if your softlines ETL or TL will be there when you start, but there will always be an LOD (leader on duty).

Can somebody explain to me what I should do if a guest challenges me on a price?
I haven't had many cashier shifts, but several times a guest will say something to me like "oh I thought the shelf said it was $30 not $40"
So I guess my question is, when is a price change considered "unreasonable"?
And if the price change is considered unreasonable, how do I go about telling that to a guest? Do I just turn on my light and then ask for a price check?

Until your GSTL/GSA explains the breadth of your store's policy, turn on your light for help.

Can somebody explain to me what I should do if a guest challenges me on a price?
I haven't had many cashier shifts, but several times a guest will say something to me like "oh I thought the shelf said it was $30 not $40"
So I guess my question is, when is a price change considered "unreasonable"?
And if the price change is considered unreasonable, how do I go about telling that to a guest? Do I just turn on my light and then ask for a price check?
so if it's like two bucks and the guest is nice, i just do it. any more than $5 call GSTL. ASANTS, your GSTL may want you to call over for everything, or have a different policy.

what you can always say is "oh sorry, another guest must have accidentally put it in the wrong spot. I'll ask my signing team to get that fixed ASAP"

so if it's like two bucks and the guest is nice, i just do it. any more than $5 call GSTL. ASANTS, your GSTL may want you to call over for everything, or have a different policy.

what you can always say is "oh sorry, another guest must have accidentally put it in the wrong spot. I'll ask my signing team to get that fixed ASAP"
Target does not want TMs doing that at all. Could it be a scammer? Maybe. Will it leave a bad taste in the guest's mouth if it was legitimate? Definitely.

New TMs should default to asking their GSTL until they better understand their store's specific policy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back