Archived Questions from a newbie about working in electronics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sadie

lydianmodeee
So, I've been with Target for a little under 2 months now. I'm a cart attendant, and enjoy it, atleast to an extent. It can get overwhelming and stressful sometimes, because our store is in a very busy location, but I love the freedom of being independent and getting to roam all over the store and outside. I'm pretty good with guests and redcards, so they recently started scheduling me for a lot of cashiering/training for guest service. Only problem is, I really don't like cashiering for more than a few hours at a time. It's totally against my nature to be in this little box, doing the same thing over and over, in the same place for hours at a time. The weird part was, they never even talked to me about this. They just wrote the schedule like that, have me cashiering for a full week with no cart attendant shifts, and I'm like, "...Okay..." So anyways, I'm looking to move into a different direction away from CA, just not up at the front lanes. I've been interested into moving to electronics for a while, and it looks like the position may be available for me. I'm a little hesitant though, just because I don't know much about it. What are your guys's experiences working back there?

Do you really have to be all that knowledgeable about electronics?
It seems like you get SOME freedom, I mean you're basically in your own little island back there, but is that true? Or is it gonna be like cashiering, where you're stuck doing this monotonous task all day?
What does a typical workday look like for an electronics team member?
How does the pay compare to cart attendant (I get payed 25 cents above minimum wage as a CA)
Are you alone, or do you work in pairs?
Comparatively speaking, how stressful/difficult is the job?
If you suck at attachment rates, do they crack the whip? Or like, how do they rate you on performance

Sorry for the lengthy post, I like asking questions :D

Thanks guys!

Here is a link:
http://www.thebreakroom.org/showthread.php/2665-Tips-on-getting-more-attachments

Here is a fast answer:
If you haven't already, definitely check out that thread from commiecorvus, and search the forum for "AAR" or "Attachment." There are some great tips in there.

The short answer to my AAR secret:

Present it as though you're making sure they won't have to come back for anything. This means soft selling with a customer service focus, if you speak "sales jargon." Prepare some standard lists in your head of things folks always need, but rarely remember.

Some general tips:
* Spend a little time studying sales techniques. Electronics is the only department (to my knowledge) that gets evaluated on both their sales and guest service in performance evaluations - to quote one of my ETLs, "you just have to do both." If one side is your weakness, shore that up.

* There's a good chance, in a low-volume store, that you can spend more time per guest than I can. Do that. Talk to them, find out what they're here for, what they're wanting, what their price range is. Sometimes, it's worth selling a slightly cheaper product and an attachment to meet their comprehensive needs vs the more expensive item (especially true in TV/BD).

* Spend whatever time you can getting to know your standard product line really well. Is there a DVD player in your pull? Take a minute to find out what comes in the box or if it has any unique features. File that info away in your head. It's a quick way to learn almost anything in your department.

* Memorize your ESP info. Having to wait until you're at the boat to give them numbers is going to cost you.

* Just get over that potentially resistant feeling you may have about upselling or cross-selling. There are ethical ways to do both.

* If it has batteries, memory, or can be plugged in, you can sell an ESP on it. Headphones, landlines, calculators, alarm clocks, memory cards. Don't limit yourself to big ticket items or prompts. ESPs count toward your AAR.

Specific ideas:
* Any big ticket item should be charged in a power strip with surge protection. I actually use this check to sell ESPs if they say they don't need it, because in my state we get thunderstorms and snowstorms, which can screw with power lines.

* A lot of things don't come with the connection cable anymore - DVD, BD, gaming consoles, printers. Find out what kind of TV inputs they have. Sell cables as needed.

* Most printers only come with "tester" ink - about 15 pages worth. This can be used to upsell ink, since they're already in store. Paper too.

* Some devices don't have batteries in the remote - or the ones they have are terrible. I use this to upsell both batteries, and rechargable battery set ups, depending on the guest.

* If it can show movies, suggest movies. In fact, suggest cheap ones and/or stuff on sale/new releases. Show them where stuff is, ask what they like.

* Gaming consoles need games to work. If they want to download games, or grab a game with downloadable content, suggest a points card for that service. (If you upsell the REDcard at this point, you can explain to them that they're coming out ahead - 5% off vs retail value of the card if they buy points online) They also need extra controllers for multiplayer, screen protectors/cases for handhelds, extra styli (that thing is tiny, and kids lose stuff all the time - be the parent who thinks ahead and avoids a temper tantrum). If they're playing an MMO, headset is a must, and the AAR counts no matter what kind it is. Skylander avatars for the Skylander Wii bundle. (Also, the rest of that Skylander stuff)

* If you have Apple stuff or tablets, it kind of sells itself - styli, cases, keyboards, screen protection. I've tried to pitch the fancy stuff before (like Sphero or the mounted camera), but it rarely goes anywhere. However, that rejection can often tell me a lot about a more affluent guest, so I do it anyway. Upsell a car charger/extra cable set up if they're going to use that mp3 player in more than one place (and they are).

* Be the person if your department who knows cameras. We clean the displays at night, and I use that time to stay up to snuff on what features things have. Cameras are a huge opportunity to make a sale with attachments (memory), but you have to know the product with confidence.

* Depending on your inventory and clientele, non-contract phones can have a screaming AAR. New lines need minutes to use. Smartphones need screen protection. Everyone needs some sort of case. Most of our non-contract phones don't have headphones in the box, and they count.

This list is not comprehensive, your sales techniques matter, and your mileage may vary.

Hey Mods: Is there an AAR sticky? If not, can there be? This question comes up a lot for Electronics folks.

Welcome to The Break Room.

Last edited:
To answer most of your questions:
1.) yes you should know at least a little bit of everything, and then find out which area of electronics you know really well. For instance, I know a lot about video games so I can explain things better to guests that don't know much about video games but I also now a bit about all of the other stuff too.
2.) You do get some freedom, but you will do cashiering (not on the level of actual cashier shifts). You have to walk around the electronics area to help nearby guests and unlock things over in BTS.
3.) Typical day is punch in, grab equipment and keys, head to electronics (helping guests along the way), turn on any working display that isn't on (opening shift only), check on AAR, work pulls from the backroom, help guests, do service walks, work out reshop, zone electronics and the nearby section (which for me is toys), calculate AAR at the end of the night (or when the lod asks).
4.) Couldn't tell ya cause I'm trying to find my store's paygrade at the moment
5.) I usually work alone, but on weekends we get double coverage (two people) and I'm in a B volume P-fresh.
6.)The job isn't to bad, you just have to keep an eye out for suspicious guests and partner with your AP, make sure items are spider wrapped. It can get stressful when a lot of guests need help at the same time, and no one responds to your backup calls.
7.) At my store if you don't do well in attachments you get kicked out of the department, unless we are short staffed. Your performance is rated on guest service and AAR, some weeks will be better in one area than the other but it happens.

Welcome to The Break Room! I believe electronics is N07, so you'd probably get a raise of $0.50. If you are in electronics, you'll be doing much more than selling product. You'll need hardlines training (zoning, re-shop, etc. just like every other area) and backroom certification (so you can pull items for guests, i.e. TVs). You will also need to take the Electronics Champion training/quiz. It gives you the basics for many of the products, such as how TV picture quality is rated, what cables you'd need for HD, camera features, memory cards - all that fun stuff - plus techniques for up-selling. If you have experience using any of the products that you'll be selling, that can also help you.

Electronics Trainer here!

You will be expected to up-sell attachments in addition to maintaining a clean zone.

Day Side:

Try to partner with the LOD about tasks they want to see completed for the day.
If possible get a PDA
-Look up instocks at yours and other stores
-check pricing
-shoot EXF's (to fill holes)
-tie salesplanners if necessary
Follow your TL's routines lists
- At my store:
-Mondays EXF Electronics aisles (not video games or entertainment)
-Tuesdays Help fill the Tune-In Tuesday new releases
-Wednesdays EXF in Books and the new release endcaps
-Thursdays EXF in DVD's
-Fridays EXF CD's and Video Games (when filling video games, flex other games to fill holes as necessary and put labels up with correct pricing. You can take a lot of heat for having to Price challenge a
$60 game for $20)
-Saturdays - work any leftover reshop from Friday
-Sunday help with any ad that is not up and audit TV wall to ensure all pricing is correct and that the signing is correct.
Help push Auto-fills for Electronics
Check with Receiving for DSD shipments and work as necessary.

Night Side:

Walk your area with the outgoing Electronics person for anything they did not get to. Make notes as needed.

Check in with the LOD about anything they feel you need to do.

Gather reshop when getting your keys.

Work your reshop and maintain VIBE with guests.

Ask other Elec TM's when they generally start zoning. At my store I start the zone 5 hours before close and I start with the easier part Electronics and work down through seasonal and back up through sporting goods and finally toys.

When you begin your zone, check in hourly with your TLOD and/or LOD to update where you are at.

Remember at the top and bottom of every hour to vibe walk your area. It can generally take 5-10 minutes (depending on your sales volume)

At 2 hours prior to close evaluate where you are at and communicate with your LOD. If you think you might need help zoning tell them then so they can plan for it and try to get another TM in your area.

At the end of the night ensure you leave appropriate notes for your Elec TM who opens.

AND MAKE SURE YOU LEAVE THE BOAT CLEAN. Nothing is worse than coming into an electronics boat that is a disaster. It sets the tone for the day.

thanks for the awesome responses guys! That was a huge help!

When I worked in Electronics, I also had to do a lot of toys, since they are right across from each other in my store.
So I had to set toys sales planners all the time, push toys clearance, and zone all of toys/sporting goods (nightside)

Being honest, I think knowing a lot about the product before hand is really important. You really have to be interested in electronic items to learn it and learn it well. There is SO much to learn, and guests can pick up on whether or not you know what you are knowledgeable (usually). My advice is to maybe look into a sales floor or soft lines position. I think you would really hate it after awhile and the electronics team would be frustrated. At my store, if an elec team member doesn't have an interest in electronics, they never last.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back