Archived Questions regarding my second day of work!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I officially underwent orientation training, which consisted of a series of videos, paperwork, and eventual cashier training which lasted roughly an hour to two hours. Tomorrow I am scheduled for cashier training for four hours, although I was hired as a Sales Floor Team Member. When my orientation was over they never really told me where I'm supposed to go after I clock in tomorrow, I just assume I'm supposed to head to the lanes and get direction from there? Also, I was given a TM number, but I never created a pin for when I sign into the register, does anyone have any information on that? Thank you very much for your time, I'm extremely nervous about the whole thing and your responses are much obliged.

when your shift starts to straight to the GSTL/GSA, if you don't know who that is go to guest services and ask if they can direct you or walkie the GSTL for you. from that point on you'll basically be shadowing a trainer and you'll jump on on the lanes whenever you feel comfortable. i believe they'll have you make a pin first on an empty register before you start helping guests. if they don't, then they'll have you use the team member's number while you shadow (idk if this practice is used else where, but it sure is used in my store especially for new employees).

Yes, go to the GSTL/GSA, introduce yourself if you haven't already and ask who they want you to shadow with. That's how it is at my store -- they have you jump right in. We used to take them to a secluded register away from the others, put it in training mode and actually go through the training guide (that's how my cashier training was a year ago), but that has long been abandoned because god forbid we actually train people before we throw them to the wolves.

Okay, thank you very much, it's just confusing because I was under the impression the GSTL/GSA's were designed to handle guests, not employees lol. Those are the people working at the Guest Services counter, correct?

Last edited:
GSTL/GSA are essentially front end managers, though they are sometimes found at Guest Service. There are usually Service Desk TMs that are separate though.

You may also get proper training. My store has the new cashiers train at Guest Service. Book, training mode, everything, and then shadow later on. ASANTS.

(Also, side note, I noticed the training mode on registers still shows the old REDCard prompts)

Edit: oh, and in case your curious, your second or third day will probably start your sales floor training. All sales floor TMs get cashier trained in case they're needed for backup (and please, respond to backup calls. So many of our new TMs don't :( )

You will trained on the registers first so you can aid on front lane requests for assitance. Don't worry....everything will be explained to you. The only things to remember are to :

ASK EVERY GUEST ABOUT THE REDCARD ;);)
and
Put off taking hangers off clothes till after the transaction

Just remember to follow the training material for the registers and use your training and best judgement. If you have any questions or problems, just call for the GSTL/GSA.

I just want to say how much I appreciate all of your input and helpful instructions, it really takes away a lot of the anxiety for the day! I'm so fortunate to have a community of Target employees who are willing to help me, you guys are a blessing!

You will trained on the registers first so you can aid on front lane requests for assitance. Don't worry....everything will be explained to you. The only things to remember are to :

ASK EVERY GUEST ABOUT THE REDCARD ;);)
and
Put off taking hangers off clothes till after the transaction

Just remember to follow the training material for the registers and use your training and best judgement. If you have any questions or problems, just call for the GSTL/GSA.

Is it strange that we were never given training manuals for the registers? I have heard that from other threads that there were training manuals avaliable and often given to new employees to learn them, but we were never even offered them. In fact, my first day was spent "shadowing" a register for about one or two transactions, then I was thrown in to ring up a guest who had $350 worth of purchases lol.

@aurelius, my first day, I was put on a register at Guest Services I training nice but didn't have the right materials to do all the exercises. I was there for about 10 minutes then shadowed a cashier for 5 minutes before she let me do the transactions for about 10 minutes. Then I was left there solo for the rest of my shift. The next day, I was told to hop on a lane and that was that. Thankfully, I had cashier experience but my training was less than minimal.

I never got any cashier training...oh, nevermind.

In seriousness, don't forget B.O.B. and L.I.S.A. I've noticed it's mostly the backup cashiers that accidentally let things slip through under the basket or in boxes.
For sales floor, call AP for anything that seems off or suspicious. We'd rather respond to 25 non-incidents than allow one person to walk out uncontested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back