I'm Lost! Quitting in the middle of an investigation

I was sexually assaulted by a TM outside of work. I didn’t want to report it for a long time and even continued being friends with/talking to the TM. It took me a while to process what had happened, but I always knew it was wrong I just didn’t know what to do.

I began reaching out for help early. Days after it happened I asked a TL about OnSite Resources and asked hypothetically if I told them something happened with another TM would they be obliged to report (I didn’t want them to). I didn’t get a straight answer. Next, I told an ETL and asked him what I could do about the situation but they didn’t offer me much. Then, I went to someone in HR (not our head HR) and asked them as well if they knew what could be done. Nothing. All this time I had been avoiding the police/going to the head of HR because I wasn’t sure if I wanted to report. I had little to no evidence and a lot going against me (staying friends with the TM etc), and I didn’t want to be badgered/re-traumatized in any kind of investigation process.

Eventually, I had been told by a TM who knew what happened that I needed to speak to another TM (insinuating it had happened to them as well). I spoke to the them and realized this was a pattern. The TM in question used the workplace as a hunting ground, but only did what he knew he could get away with (mostly outside of work), but no one had ever come forward. I was new to the store, so I never knew about the past behaviors of the TM who assaulted me. The TM I spoke to convinced me that speaking to the head of HR might be the best course of action. So I decided to suck it up and do it. Big mistake. An investigation was started on my behalf, but I found out the other TM had also started their own investigation once they were questioned claiming I’m some sort of threat to them. They brought in their own (bullshit) evidence to create their own narrative. Now it’s a big possibility I might be the one getting fired.

When I talk to HR they tell me his past behavior is irrelevant unless someone else wants to come forward about it, which I would never ask them to do. I realized HR was not on my side. They’re not there to protect me, they’re there to protect the company, and taking his side looks better on the company. I had a panic attack sitting in the office realizing everything was being turned on me. Even if I were to “win” the investigation and he were to be fired I don’t know if I’d feel comfortable working in that building anymore. Some friends have told me to quit and some have told me to fight it. I know it’d look bad, but I feel like just rolling over at this point. I can’t have them pulling me aside in the middle of my shifts to accuse me of threatening someone who I came to them and told them assaulted me, I had to leave early the last time because it was just too much. I’m leaning towards just quitting but will that automatically stop the investigation? Won’t it be a waste of resources to investigate someone who won’t be there anymore? I don’t know if I should quit on the spot or put in my two weeks. Any help would be appreciated.

Any safety or security concerns should always be brought to your store's leader of Assets Protection first. I recommend sitting down with whomever your AP leader is and explain the situation and your concerns. A common misconception is Assets Protection is only there to stop shoplifters. Target's most valuable assets are the team members. Nothing is more important or ranks higher on the to do list of AP than protecting the team members and making sure everybody feels safe and comfortable in their work environment. Safety and Security, especially pertaining to team members will ALWAYS be top priority for store Assets Protection. Some AP team members are more competent than others and I don't know who is working at your store, but I would recommend going straight to the AP leader and having this conversation, and skip over any TSS/APS in your store.

EDIT: I know you said it feels like HR is on the company side rather than your own. I just wanted to reiterate one more time, Assets Protection will never "take the company's side" over a team member. What "looks good" for the company will never outweigh how seriously we take your safety or any team member's safety. Trust me, AP is a team member's best friend (as long as you're not stealing) and I wish more team members knew about this. In my store, I make it a point to have daily conversations with most if not all of the team members I walk by, just checking up on them, making sure everything is okay, not just at work, but sometimes in their personal lives as well.

Last edited:
Any safety or security concerns should always be brought to your store's leader of Assets Protection first. I recommend sitting down with whomever your AP leader is and explain the situation and your concerns. A common misconception is Assets Protection is only there to stop shoplifters. Target's most valuable assets are the team members. Nothing is more important or ranks higher on the to do list of AP than protecting the team members and making sure everybody feels safe and comfortable in their work environment. Safety and Security, especially pertaining to team members will ALWAYS be top priority for store Assets Protection. Some AP team members are more competent than others and I don't know who is working at your store, but I would recommend going straight to the AP leader and having this conversation, and skip over any TSS/APS in your store.

EDIT: I know you said it feels like HR is on the company side rather than your own. I just wanted to reiterate one more time, Assets Protection will never "take the company's side" over a team member. What "looks good" for the company will never outweigh how seriously we take your safety or any team member's safety. Trust me, AP is a team member's best friend (as long as you're not stealing) and I wish more team members knew about this. In my store, I make it a point to have daily conversations with most if not all of the team members I walk by, just checking up on them, making sure everything is okay, not just at work, but sometimes in their personal lives as well.
Wow, I didn’t know that us as TMs were so valuable. I should’ve known better, after all the company and AP specifically have been spending so much resources on us. Now it totally makes sense.
AP is like the United Nations of Target.

Wow, I didn’t know that us as TMs were so valuable. I should’ve known better, after all the company and AP specifically have been spending so much resources on us. Now it totally makes sense.
AP is like the United Nations of Target.

Well of course ASANTS as well as all AP teams/leaders are not the same. It's just as easy to have a lazy AP person who sits in their office all day as it is to have one who actually cares about their job. Of course I can only speak for my district of stores and most of my group of stores (from what I can see through Yammer, which is the platform AP uses to communicate across stores), but for at least most of my group it is how I described it, because that is best practice and how every AP team is supposed to work.
If you truly feel even your AP leader is against you or unhelpful, I would recommend going even higher, to their boss, the AP Business Partner, call the integrity hotline or find a way to get it escalated. The further you go up the AP chain the more likely you are to find a competent person who truly cares about their job and by extension, the team members.

Back