Archived Rain checks

Status
Not open for further replies.

pellinore

Life sucks and nothing good can come of it.
At our store my GSTL is telling me that we aren't supposed to print out any rain checks using the 9801 process.

I was told that we must have someone check for the item in the backroom and if we don't have the item then offer the guest a substitute item.

Our store is undergoing a remodel and the GSTL says that "we may not get those items anymore so we can't rain check them."

Is this true or is there any real reason why we can't ring a rain check at the front lanes with the 9801?

Isn't the whole idea of a rain check (when it is a sale item) to help the guest get the item at another store?

Yes, they are able to purchase it at another store, but they do not need a raincheck to do so. It's on sale at other stores as well, so as long as it is in stock elsewhere they can get it at the sale price. The purpose of the raincheck is to allow the guest to come back any time within 45 days and purchase the item at the current sale price. I don't agree that you should stop giving them out because you will continue carrying almost all of the same product.

I am in agreement with Kingpin to a degree. In our store we are instructed to still issue rain checks whether or not you anticipate the item post-remodel (NOTE: we went PFRESH in 2011). The rain check is a guarantee of the price, not a guarantee of item availability. At our ULV store we stress that every time a guest gets a rain check.

Yes, the item is on sale at other stores, too. But when you print out a raincheck it does list other local stores that show that the item is in stock. It gives the store phone number and its location...so the rainchecks are set-up to let guests know what other stores they might be able to go to. Instead of just running from Target to Target.

When I've done rainchecks I will usually put the request count at 3. If you put in the number one then you might get a list of 6 stores...but who knows for sure if the stores have one. When I put a 3 in then the stores that show-up on the list might have a better chance at having the item in-stock.

So, who should I ask about this raincheck issue....of being told we aren't allowed to do them anymore? I'm guessing the LOD of the Front End, but she's been working overnight so I haven't seen her in awhile. Should I ask AP or another LOD?

The request count should match the guests request. Whether its one or 10 it will still print where it is available (in my experience) even if it doesn't match guest needs/wants. I would encourage your guests to call to the locations listed to verify what they want is still available. I would also suggest reminding them that they are printed in order of closest store to farthest.

As far as going up the chain of command, start with your ETL-GE (if you have one) or the ETL-SL/GE (if you have one of them), after that I would go to the ETL-Remodel (if you are in remodel) then to the ETL-HL or ETL-SF (salesfloor), if none of them have an idea and do not offer to find out, you can probably talk to your STL but that should be only if you haven't found an ETL who will help first. Remember the chain of command is important.

If all else fails and you are able to log in to Workbench and have completed training for My Support, You can send a My Support Request for direction from Minneapolis. Just be aware that you need to make it clear you want to do what is best for your stores guests and it seems there is no clear direction what to do.

Always do the rain check. The guest has that sale price for 45 days with limited availability. You took care of guest & want them to return your store. That what matters the most. You can check on the register to see if you have the item in stock. Just use the merchandise locate button, it will give you any back room & sales floor locations at your store. You can search other stores in this function too without doing a rain check. No PDA needed.
The real reason on not doing 9801 at your store is, that in stocks team was unable to get rain check pad on that dpci & due to the remodel. The solution should be print an extra rain check on that dpci, communicate to a tm or tl on the sales floor who knows how to do rain checks & do a sub for that item at your store. My store was remodel to a pfresh too, a few years back.
If you work on the sales floor, every one should be trained on how to do a rain check & sub. It is a team effort & helps your store score. Plus, your IS team will have one less rain check to do.

Last edited:
In case you don't know how to do rain checks on a PDA. Here it is.
As rarejem says, ck all possible locations for that item first! Ask your tl or tm who knows where everything is. Those folks should say do rain check & here is how to do it(I do).
To do a rain check, go to rf apps( black & white), hit rain or 8 for specialized, hit 1 rain check, then scan item that is out. Hit toggle for stand alone research(color screen), scan the item, hit zero for qty. scan the pad & find a sub for it too. Hit 2 for sub, scan the sub item. make & print the sub sign. Then, scan in sub sign under SIGNT & put it up on shelve.
Don't do rain checks on limited or seasonal items!
I hope this helps.

Last edited:
There is a currently updated raincheck/substitution exclusion list available on workbench. It is preferred that you do not use 9801 since it counts against the salesfloor scores. If you do use it, immediately notify a salesfloor tm or the LOD that a raincheck needs to be tied to the item and a substitution made.

In our store we try to use 9801 very sparingly because the hit it does on our (instocks?) team scores. We use 9801 if we must but then make a raincheck pad and put it where the item should be.

In our store we try to use 9801 very sparingly because the hit it does on our (instocks?) team scores. We use 9801 if we must but then make a raincheck pad and put it where the item should be.

Instocks does not actually have their own scores. It is considered to be a salesfloor team although their work will have an impact upon the backroom and pricing scores and the workload of the plano team. Raincheck effectiveness is a salesfloor score.

Instocks does not actually have their own scores. It is considered to be a salesfloor team although their work will have an impact upon the backroom and pricing scores and the workload of the plano team. Raincheck effectiveness is a salesfloor score.

Thank you, I thought it was wrong. It's a process I don't have much experience in! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back