Archived Random 1 hour shifts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings and Salutations
Welcome to The Breakroom.

It might be worth bringing up.
I don't know what your states laws are but unless you're a minor that seems a bit ridiculous.

We've been getting a lot of 3.75 or 4 hour shifts. While there are people who are part timers and come in after another job (or work in the am and go to another job) it seems to me to be a bit ridiculous to have such short shifts. I'm beginning to wonder if these shorter shifts are easier for people to call off on. Almost every day there is a call off at the front end...and those call offs are usually the short shifts. Is it just me...or is there a higher call off rate for these short shifts?

You are probably right on about this. Tougher to want to call out if it is 8 hours and 20% of your paycheck. I am guessing they are trying to spread out hours, but are actually really trying to avoid giving lunches. This would help avoid potential meal compliance problems.

I refuse to let HR schedule shifts for 5.75 hours just to avoid paying for lunch. Half my TMs have second jobs and I get a lot of positive feedback on ensuring they get that 30 meal as it may be the only one they get for 2 shifts unless they eat in transit.

I refuse to let HR schedule shifts for 5.75 hours just to avoid paying for lunch. Half my TMs have second jobs and I get a lot of positive feedback on ensuring they get that 30 meal as it may be the only one they get for 2 shifts unless they eat in transit.

Nice to see someone genuinely cares about their team members!

Agreed. It stinks when leaders get so much pressure that they make bad decisions. I will admit that I even considered this once, but it just didn't seem right when I considered the ramifications for the team. The best thing to do is just fix the culture and fix it the right way.

You should come to my store. Our old ETL-Hardlines told HR to only schedule hardlines closers for 5.75 hours so they wouldn't have to take lunches. Softlines started doing the same a few payroll cuts ago. If I'm on the floor, I don't mind because it goes fast and I probably already ate dinner anyways, but not everyone has that extra time before they come in. Generally, our cashiers don't get 5.75s, which is good because 5.75 cashing shifts are the WORST.

I actually asked and they said they wanted me to do hardcore cleaning of the c.o.
I never knew what actually happened since I quit a few days before the one hour shift.

I still dont know why they wanted me to clean 3 hours in 3 days.. why not just make me clean 3 hours in one shift?
Whatever, not my problem anymore. one week into my new job and I'm already in love haha

We've been getting a lot of 3.75 or 4 hour shifts. While there are people who are part timers and come in after another job (or work in the am and go to another job) it seems to me to be a bit ridiculous to have such short shifts. I'm beginning to wonder if these shorter shifts are easier for people to call off on. Almost every day there is a call off at the front end...and those call offs are usually the short shifts. Is it just me...or is there a higher call off rate for these short shifts?

You are probably right on about this. Tougher to want to call out if it is 8 hours and 20% of your paycheck. I am guessing they are trying to spread out hours, but are actually really trying to avoid giving lunches. This would help avoid potential meal compliance problems.

At my store this is a vicious cycle every year. 1) They cut hours 2) people start calling off 3) they hire more people to make sure they have enough names in the "rollodex" to insure someone will come in, 4) people start complaining because now the hours are spread even thinner. It may not be worth it to come in for a three hour shift and if a person's coming a great distance and gas is a problem I get that... but otherwise, when people call off they just contribute to the cycle. ><

You should come to my store. Our old ETL-Hardlines told HR to only schedule hardlines closers for 5.75 hours so they wouldn't have to take lunches. Softlines started doing the same a few payroll cuts ago. If I'm on the floor, I don't mind because it goes fast and I probably already ate dinner anyways, but not everyone has that extra time before they come in. Generally, our cashiers don't get 5.75s, which is good because 5.75 cashing shifts are the WORST.

5.75? In my state over 5 is compliance... so the night team gets 4.75 if they're lucky... sometimes they get 3... And we don't get paid for lunch and ours is 45 min long. The stupid shifts are the ones that are barely over 5 because you have to be at work so much longer just for a few minutes extra pay. ><

Last edited:

5.75? In my state over 5 is compliance... so the night team gets 4.75 if they're lucky... sometimes they get 3... And we don't get paid for lunch and ours is 45 min long. The stupid shifts are the ones that are barely over 5 because you have to be at work so much longer just for a few minutes extra pay. ><

I'm in NY, where compliance is 6 hours and lunches are 45 min. Shifts with lunches are always at least 6.50 (5.75 paid) at my store because 6.00 (5.25 paid) and 6.25 (5.50 paid) are a pain in the ass to plan around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back