Archived Rats fleeing a sinking ship

• Thread starter bab5crusade
  • Start date
  • Replies 83
  • Views 13K
Status
Not open for further replies.
Between Friday and today, here's a list of people who have left/are leaving my store:
Fired: ETL GE and a HL TM
Put in 2 weeks: myself, a HL TM, 2 SO TMs, and 2 or 3 Flow TMs.

I think it's cute and funny when I read job reports about how so many jobs were added. People fail to realize that a lot of the jobs have come back after the great recession are retail and fast food jobs. So yeah, jobs are coming back but they are the ones that people do not want. Let's face it, at least 90 percent of people hate retail and fast food jobs. It's sad but people do look down on you when you say "I work at Target" or "I work at Chilis" or "I work at Burger's King". I tell people I work at Target and I get some of the most condescending looks. Sometimes, I just say retail and don't even mention the Target part.
If I ever leave Target, it would be solely for more money. I have numerous debts that I am going to have to eventually pay and working at Target isn't going to cut it.

I think it's cute and funny when I read job reports about how so many jobs were added. People fail to realize that a lot of the jobs have come back after the great recession are retail and fast food jobs. So yeah, jobs are coming back but they are the ones that people do not want. Let's face it, at least 90 percent of people hate retail and fast food jobs. It's sad but people do look down on you when you say "I work at Target" or "I work at Chilis" or "I work at Burger's King". I tell people I work at Target and I get some of the most condescending looks. Sometimes, I just say retail and don't even mention the Target part.
If I ever leave Target, it would be solely for more money. I have numerous debts that I am going to have to eventually pay and working at Target isn't going to cut it.

I would imagine retail is way better than fast food.

I was trying to make the point of how you can't jump up and down and cheer when you read the monthly job reports. Do you think people that worked office jobs that made 40 to 50k a year before the great recession want to work at Chili's or Target? Retail is a small step above fast food. Thankfully, I've never worked fast food but I've done factory work. Target is Disney World compared to factorywork . I can't believe I did it. A lot of people I work with at Target would quit the first day at the factory. 12 hour shifts, 95 percent of the time you are standing in the same spot, and no central air on the factory floor.

Well not really. For example in the last jobs report 288 thousand private sector jobs were added. Of that only 34 thousand were in retail of all kinds including the food service industry, stores, car dealers etc. The real growth is in professional and buisiness services with 74 thousand news jobs and education and healthcare with 40 thousand new jobs. Retail and fast food are just not the job growers they used to be do to new technologies and the lower prices less service trend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back