Archived Rats fleeing a sinking ship

• Thread starter bab5crusade
  • Start date
  • Replies 83
  • Views 13K
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no way in hell I would bend the DTL's ear on anything! That's just setting yourself up for trouble when the DTL lets the ETLs and STL in on what you said...especially if there are any consequences for the ETLs.

I take back any previous comments, it finally hit our store. EVERY GSA has put in their two weeks, our GSTL requested to be demoted weeks ago, Flow TL put in her notice, losing our two experienced receiving TM's, some of our top performing sales floor and in stocks team members put in a notice. I'm going back up front to give massive amounts of GSA training these next few weeks, but I'm actively job searching as well. It's ridiculous, our entire store is falling apart.

There is no way in hell I would bend the DTL's ear on anything! That's just setting yourself up for trouble when the DTL lets the ETLs and STL in on what you said...especially if there are any consequences for the ETLs.

That's true, and I mean we all know how well the "no retaliation" policy holds up. But I'd still love to do it when my time is up! My goal is to be out sometime this summer, and I am looking forward to having a nice long talk with my STL when I give my notice. He and I have worked together for a loooong time, and I"m holding off on sitting down with him now, because I don't want him to try to spin things and talk me into staying.

Lol.... you guys act like this is something new. The stores have been like this for *years* now.

The sad truth is, this is the desired state of things. Financially speaking, the stores and company are running along just fine. That's all that matters in the end to wall street and the people at the top.

Also - unless you are a TL or above, this is not supposed to be a career job! The people who are leaving for better jobs? That's not a bad thing - it's a good thing. Being a cashier is not a career. You are SUPPOSED to go on to another (better) job eventually. If you stay a cashier for 10+ years, you will be poor and destitute your entire life. You guys make it sound like TM's leaving is some horrible thing. Yes, it's bad for you personally because the fact they found a better job probably means they are good coworkers and it's bad for the company for the same reason, but the fact is, it's good for them. That's all that should really matter.

I for one am happy for any TM who gets a better job, and I will encourage them to leave for it because I care about their success. It happened to me once, and it was the best feeling ever until it all came crashing down. Until you get a non-retail job, you really have no idea how good it can get. My advice to those complaining about others leaving for better jobs? If you are now at the place to be able to do the same, follow them out the door and don't look back!

Lol.... you guys act like this is something new. The stores have been like this for *years* now.

The sad truth is, this is the desired state of things. Financially speaking, the stores and company are running along just fine. That's all that matters in the end to wall street and the people at the top.

Also - unless you are a TL or above, this is not supposed to be a career job! The people who are leaving for better jobs? That's not a bad thing - it's a good thing. Being a cashier is not a career. You are SUPPOSED to go on to another (better) job eventually. If you stay a cashier for 10+ years, you will be poor and destitute your entire life. You guys make it sound like TM's leaving is some horrible thing. Yes, it's bad for you personally because the fact they found a better job probably means they are good coworkers and it's bad for the company for the same reason, but the fact is, it's good for them. That's all that should really matter.

I for one am happy for any TM who gets a better job, and I will encourage them to leave for it because I care about their success. It happened to me once, and it was the best feeling ever until it all came crashing down. Until you get a non-retail job, you really have no idea how good it can get. My advice to those complaining about others leaving for better jobs? If you are now at the place to be able to do the same, follow them out the door and don't look back!

Which is part of the reason the middle class is dying.
I worked in a grocery store where cashiers were able to buy cars, pay mortgages and the meat cutters could even put their kids through college.
People worked there long enough to retire with benefits.
Of course, the store was unionized and it was twenty years ago before the Wally-ization of retail.

Personally, if I hadn't had student loans and other expenses from schooling, I could live off my current wage IF I worked full time. Of course it depends on the person, how they spend, cost of living in the region etc. A lot of the people in my store who've been there long term are in two income homes, though. That probably makes it a lot easier. I don't think anyone's mad that people are leaving, but when people who are retail for the longterm start leaving, it just reaffirms how shitty folks are being treated.

Idc when other people leave, though. It's not bad for me, at all. Idgaf lol. Only potential negative is that the workload increases between one person's departure and them hiring a replacement. Wait, one more negative is that someone may take a job that I wanted then I'm jealous for a few hours.

I don't think anyone here was complaining about people leaving. I think they're complaining that the place sucks so much more now that people are fleeing in droves. That can have an effect on morale. When people trickle out, it's different from everyone leaving at once.

We're looking at serious staffing issues at my store. We had at least 7 flow/BR TMs call out or not show up today. At least two were on finals for attendance and are probably gone. I feel that if we didn't have seasonal salvage to do today my team would have been pushing the truck.

On dayside most of our college-age softlines TMs are transferring/quitting/or going on LOA which leaves them with a huge staffing challenge. I just hope that they use the resources available in their department (there are TMs that want more hours) before looking outside the department.

Which is part of the reason the middle class is dying.
I worked in a grocery store where cashiers were able to buy cars, pay mortgages and the meat cutters could even put their kids through college.
People worked there long enough to retire with benefits.
Of course, the store was unionized and it was twenty years ago before the Wally-ization of retail.

I completely agree with you.

That said, whether or not I agree is immaterial. The fact remains, Target has no intention of changing their business model... and I suspect that it is safe to say they will never change it, even if it eventually means bankruptcy.

With that in mind, TM's have to be realistic. They can stick around 5, 10, 20, even 30 years and hope things will change.... or they can go with a better employer after looking for a few months for something better. The sad truth is, those who stick around 20 years are going to look back 20 years from now and say "WTF did I just waste 20 years of my life for?".

There is way way way more out there besides Target. If you find a better opportunity, take it. You will never get ahead otherwise.

I know it's gotten nuts at a friend's store nearby. Both SrTLs gave two day notices and five team leads gave their two weeks all within a month of each other.

[

That said, whether or not I agree is immaterial. The fact remains, Target has no intention of changing their business model... and I suspect that it is safe to say they will never change it, even if it eventually means bankruptcy.

With that in mind, TM's have to be realistic. They can stick around 5, 10, 20, even 30 years and hope things will change.... or they can go with a better employer after looking for a few months for something better. The sad truth is, those who stick around 20 years are going to look back 20 years from now and say "WTF did I just waste 20 years of my life for?".

There is way way way more out there besides Target. If you find a better opportunity, take it. You will never get ahead otherwise.

Just because we have an opportunity to move on doesn't mean we can't stop and fight it. What if people are happy they like being a cashier? Life isn't about moving up and up. We want stability and able to have a good life. Not everyone wants to be a business owner nor a boss. I just want a stable life and able to afford to have a family. That is all I want. If people can do that at a unionized store as an cashier. We should be able to do that everywhere else.

It's thoughts like you have is why America has no class consciousness.

My STL has been giving their sales pitch for the Best Team Survey. I hope the results of the Disgruntled Team Survey do not disappoint them.

I know it's gotten nuts at a friend's store nearby. Both SrTLs gave two day notices and five team leads gave their two weeks all within a month of each other.

If this does not get a visit from the HRPB than that will really show the true ways of Spot.

[

Just because we have an opportunity to move on doesn't mean we can't stop and fight it. What if people are happy they like being a cashier? Life isn't about moving up and up. We want stability and able to have a good life. Not everyone wants to be a business owner nor a boss. I just want a stable life and able to afford to have a family. That is all I want. If people can do that at a unionized store as an cashier. We should be able to do that everywhere else.

It's thoughts like you have is why America has no class consciousness.

There is nothing wrong being happy as a cashier.... except if you are unhappy with the pay of a cashier.

The fact of the matter is, you will not get ahead in life being a cashier. You will be poor forever. If you are OK with that, then there is no problem. If you are not ok with that, you need to be realistic and start thinking about finding a job that does pay more.

What you are calling "stability" is actually stagnation. It's called "getting comfortable" or "settling". Nothing wrong with that, but when you get comfortable, you don't advance. You are basically choosing to stay in your present condition.

With that said, do cashiers need to make more? Absolutely. Would a union help? Probably. Would a majority of TMs at the store support it? Not a chance in hell.

You need to realize that the people on this forum are the ones who bleed red and khaki. Usually only top tier employees care about even thinking about their job when they are off the clock. The people here genuinely care about their jobs and the company and have a vested interest in improving situations. Unfortunately, they are an extreme minority.... it just doesn't seem that way because they are ultra-concentrated online.

Now enter the offline world of your store. Most TMs, when it comes down to it, really aren't interested in improving things. Will they sit there and bi*** and moan? Yup. Will they actually take action about anything to make things better? Nah. Don't believe me? Go around the store and get the phone number of every TM in the store. Text them after work about coming to a union meeting at your choice of venue. See how many show up. You'll be lucky if one or two do.

You can't help people who won't help themselves.

Let me give you an example. When I was a TL, I used to be brutally honest with TMs even if it got me in hot water sometimes. When I gave performance reviews to TMs who clearly deserved either an EX or even O review score, but the ETL's screwed them with E or IE, I would always tell them something like "Listen, I have to be honest with you. You deserved way more than this, and behind the scenes, the ETLs knowingly and willingly screwed you over. You actually should be getting a much bigger raise than this"

What happened nine out of ten times? The TM would smile and me and say something like "That's ok. I don't mind. I'm happy I got any raise at all!". Most of them time I would just think to myself "Dude, stop being such a fu**ing chump push over". Actually, now that I think about, I only had one TM ever tell me she knew she was getting screwed and was pissed about it.

Now that I am a TL again, and have had a lot of time to reflect on those days, I don't think I'm going to do that anymore. It really just ended up depressing me.

Eh, poor isn't always poor. Many of my coworkers are just working because retirement was boring, housewife life was boring, they're in school, they're only working at target at night, etc.

I think it's only really settling or stagnation or "not [getting]ahead in life" if you actually want and/or need more. If you're genuinely happy where you are, that's not settling. If the wage, or treatment makes you unhappy, however, you've settled.

But in general, I found that portion of your post to be condescending. You sound like you look down upon people who are happy with "stagnancy". I know you said there's nothing wrong with happy cashiers, but the language of the couple paragraphs following that sentence contradicts that.

How in the hell do people keep getting better jobs?

All of the people leaving might not necessarily be getting "better" jobs; they could be leaving for similar positions at other retail stores. A lot of our flow team left to be overnight stockers at a nearby walmart. A few left for Macy's and JCPenny. One of our bench TL's left to be a supervisor at a midwestern big-box retail store. I only a couple people that got out of their retail-rut; one finally found a job with her bachelors degree, the other is working entry-level for a nonprofit.

All of us on this forum could probably find moderately-similar positions to what we have now at other retail stores if we were desperate enough to get out; but why bother when you've accumulated slightly higher pay from a few years of raises, and you already know the store and systems like the back of your hand. I'm looking too, but I'm just not desperate enough to move and do the same thing somewhere else.

Last edited:

Sometimes they jump at an offer of regular hours and a chance to move up (which turns out to be to be a big maybe).
The pay may be the same but they feel like they are going to be treated better.
The jobs might even be one of the ones they have been working already part time to make up what they haven't been getting from Spot.
The other store liked them enough to steal them.

Everyone knows already that I'm gone from Target. Last night was my last night there. However, when I came in last night I found out that it was also 4 other people's last night. And that was not including the 2 that walked up to our stl and told him they were out of there.

Everyone knows already that I'm gone from Target. Last night was my last night there. However, when I came in last night I found out that it was also 4 other people's last night. And that was not including the 2 that walked up to our stl and told him they were out of there.
Congrats on getting out of Target!
That's a lot of people leaving on one night, wow.

I have a feeling a lot of stores are struggling with turnover goals/percentages this year, the way I've seen people move on from my store and what I've read here. Target's got to change something. It used to be a great place to work (like four or five years ago!)

I just got another job related to my major. The place I've been doing my internship. Will be part time so I'll keep working at Spot and the pay will be less. The job is related, but it is definitely not the glamorous side of my field. I expect it to be just as bad as Target, but it'll give me some experience.

At my store a lot of people (myself included) were able to get similar positions at union grocery stores. In many cases they pay for experience. I got an immediate $3.00 raise. One of the top Flow TMs left a few months before I did. he was making a few cents over $10/hr at target now he's making $17.50 doing the same thing so yeah... But a lot of places have been hiring lately in my area... Eventually spot will realize it after it's wayyyyyy too late and raise the stores base pay like $0.25 which will do nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back