Archived Really need help with Receiving

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im backroom and on Friday I will be assigned with receiving. Today I was taught for 30 minutes about certain vendor situations and I need all the help I can get. There are four people at our store that know receiving and all four are on vacation. So between me and my backroom tl who knows some stuff about it we have to make it through. On fridays we get a c&s order, no mcclane candy, but probably 10 or so vendors. Some questions I want to review are the procedure for signing in c&s as well as the others. I know bread just walks through but do I still have to sign them in? Which vendors do I need to give the po number to. I feel so overwhelmed and under taught. I know about checking the milk man and pfreshs temperatures, but i know almost nothing else. I learned about fedex and ups but without actual practice I don't remember anything. My "training" was 12-12:30 this afternoon and not a single vendor came in so we had to use hypothetical situations. If anybody can offer any help, that'd be great. Thanks

I hate it that they put us in these situations. I'm sure you will get really good advice here. When I've found myself thrown in with little or no training I try to tell myself, "If they really wanted this done right, they would have trained me." Seriously, if you make a mistake I imagine there will be a way to fix it. Just do the best you can and take notes & if you have a phone with a camera use it too. Having notes and pics will help you later if you have questions or concerns. They are lucky to have you because you obviously care & want to do a good job. Good luck & let us know how it goes.

Advice I can give you is to suspend your receipts instead of completing them. Keep all receipts and paperwork in a folder for Friday. I you're only covering Friday, then whoever is actually receiving trained can double check everything on Monday (assuming someone will be back Monday).

It has been a long time since I had C&S, I forget how that goes to tell the truth. For the bigger things like C&S, McClane, you don't need to worry too much. You can do your best and the LOD can probably help, but if it gets there it gets there and that's all anyone cares about. As far as PO's go, just ask the vendor for their paperwork and look to see if there is a PO on it. Most orders need a PO, you can always just ask the vendor - most of the time, if you have a question, ask your vendor, they've been through the process a few thousand times. They know the order you need to input their information, they know if they need a PO or not, they know how many cases they are bringing in, they know if they need their invoice stamped and filled out or just a signature.

Long story short: If they walk in your receiving door, make sure they sign in on the board (should be by the door) - if they need to be checked in you can probably get through it but they can help you, if you have problems call for the LOD or other leader. And, if anything goes wrong - It's not your fault! So don't stress it. You got put into a position without proper training, Spot does that all the time so just do your best and have a good time. Again, don't freaking stress it, do your best, and the people in charge can sort it out. You have zero liability as long as you do your best and call on leadership for any questions.

Team Member Definition: "I showed up to work, I did my best, you can't fire me!"

I also can't get any additional training on Thursday because I will already have 40 hours with my other shifts. I really feel uncomfortable doing this.

C&S: Make sure whoever checks it in does the temperature check in the food delivery log (and make sure the LOD signs off... that is a High Risk Critical for Steritech if it is not signed). I don't usually receive C&S because our store gets them before my TM is usually in the building. Make sure you save the paperwork from the order too. Your receiving TM should have either a filing cabinet or bin for all paperwork.

Vendor deliveries -- Fridays are usually CRAZY as all the vendors need to bring stuff in for the weekend. Take one at a time, and if you need to ask them to wait do it... or call another TL who may be cross-trained to try and back you up. Most of the big vendors are ADSD (Direct to Store Delivery). All that you need to do is to to scan their sheet and the delivery is acknowledged. In the most RARE of cases the delivery will need to be audited. In that case you would check it in like you would a normal delivery (which can be quite time consuming but I digress).

Good luck!!

@KraVance117

Yes, Fridays are busy. Don't let any vendor/driver push you into hurrying, take them one at a time. Hurrying results in mistakes and sometimes confusion. As was said in a different thread, you are the gatekeeper. The vendors/drivers work for you not the other way around. They can and should take their turn and as @MrGSTLman said, ask them to wait. Good advice.

I don't have deliveries from C&S so I am not sure how to check them in, but I'm sure you would still need to take temps. Bread vendors do not need to be checked in or out but they do still need to sign in. ADSD vendors will be Nabisco, Kellogg, Coke, Pepsi and (possibly) Frito. These are the guys that will have the big scan bar in order to check them in. (on the PDA under RF apps choose 7 then 4. Follow the prompts).

Most vendors will already have pre-assigned p.o. numbers. As @Unreturnable said, ask the vendor if you are unsure.

@sigma7 had good advice too about suspending receipts. If anything, packages from UPS and FEDEX can wait to be check in if necessary, though it may be frowned upon and corporate doesn't like that practice, oh well. It can wait. Not all packages have to be checked in (greeting cards and trading cards for example). You have a BR TL that can help you out and that's a good thing.

Remember, we were all new once and most of us had little to very little training. You'll be ok. ;)

*edited because the fonts were all wonky

Thanks for all the advice. My Backroom TL was with me for most of the day when I needed him and I don't think anything is too messed up for monday. Thanks again

How often do we need to assign a PO Number? My trainer said at the begining of every week? Any thoughts? With ADSD do we assign a PO number as well?

How often do we need to assign a PO Number? My trainer said at the begining of every week? Any thoughts? With ADSD do we assign a PO number as well?
ADSD orders do not need a PO, it already has one assigned though you'll likely only ever need to find it for an audit. You never need to type it in though (I only write it on the paperwork if there's an audit). For non-ADSD orders, some vendors already have POs that are generated on their end; I don't know why some vendors do and don't have their own POs. I have 2 DSD vendors who bring their own POs and for the rest I assign them.

For assigning POs, I assign them when the vendor brings an order in. I have one vendor who I generate 6 POs for at a time, print them off by the door and he marks them off as he uses them, because that's how it's always been done at my store and I keep up with the tradition for some reason. I'm sure I could just assign 1-2 a week per vendor (based on how many orders they bring in), but that's just more paperwork for me to keep track of.

POs expire eventually, but I'm not sure what the timeframe is. I'm assuming it's 30 days or something but haven't been able to find any specific documentation. That's why I do 6 for that one vendor: he brings in 1-2 orders a week so that gives me enough without having to worry too much about them expiring, though it's happened a couple times if he goes a week or two with less orders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back