Archived really old non-current brand store

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some background. I worked for target for 5 years before going to law school. Now I have failed the bar, but I still need a job till I pass and am a lawyer.

So I applied to target in my area. I put the nicest store as my preference, but another store about 20 minutes from my house called me to interview for an electronics position. Woo at least I only be pay grade n03.

I had never been to this other store since it is in the next city over, so I decided to pay a visit.

Now I don't know if I want to work at this store. So many things wrong. Idk how it hasn't been shut down yet. They STILL have yellow and green neon lights. They have 2, count them 2 cooler sections. No target mobile. Cosmetics is over by jewelry and soft lines. I was surprised that they actually got the video game update. Cleaning supplies in the back of the store with pet food while market is up front.

It felt like I was in K-mart.

Oh and they had food ave express.

Wat do.

I am also waiting to hear back about a job as a line cook at a very nice restaurant closer to my house.

This year Brian C was cleaning house at the HQ level.

I think the next year he'll be cleaning house at the store level. More so at least. Archaic stores that have no salvageable prototype(like yours) will be on the closure lists. But they'll be offset with new, smaller, stores being opened up in lower rent/property taxes areas.

I'd stay away from that store. It's a funeral waiting to happen.

What????? That is right down the road! Why is it closing? It isn't very fancy, but it us iconic and the people who work there are fantastic! It is the reason I applied at the Newone closer to me. What about t m`s? They have been there for years:eek:

It shouldn't matter on what the store looks like. You should pick a store on commute distance, sales volume, payroll hours, and ETL/TM relations.

I commuted 45 minutes from my college town to another store because they paid a $1.50 more and had higher sales and payroll than the store in my college town. Plus, I knew some of the drama involved at the store in my college town.

The Super I worked in Iowa was recently built but the ETLs treated the TMs like drones. And there was plenty of cliques as well.

My last store that I worked during 3 different time periods. Since its 1995 opening, the only thing remodeled or fixed were the restrooms. The FA still has the old green/white color palette. The rest of the store was untouched. Prior to 2005, it was a lower volume but very stress free store. After I came back in 2006 to my final days, it was a nightmare of mis-management, cliques, and backstabbing. If I didn't mind commuting 40 minutes to newer stores with similar sale volumes which may or may not guarantee good hours, I would have done it.

When I did my internship in 2013, it was in an older store. Opened in 1994 and was never remodeled or upgraded. It closed earlier this, and if you look in the "stores closing?" thread, you'll see photos of it in its final days.

We still had a green-tiled Food Ave, no neon lights-just colored tape around the walls in red, blue, and green, and red-Cubed checkout lights.

we had a group leader visit one day.... "Stores like this still exist? I thought we remodeled or closed them all."

Interestingly enough, the Toledo market stores still have the older stores, but at least they have the neon and newer food aves

I have been told that the area around the store is run down. Also, Kroger would not let spot expand to a pfresh. @Patty
Kroger holds a lot of real estate and often will structure into lease agreements that only they can sell groceries and limit tenants on how much they can sell. Target avoids putting new stores on land owned by other people now because of it. Grocery wasn't thought of when some of the older stores were opened. We have a older store in my district that while they got a full remodel, it excluded most of the pfresh because of a Kroger literally next door.

I think the next year he'll be cleaning house at the store level. More so at least. Archaic stores that have no salvageable prototype(like yours) will be on the closure lists.

I don't know about this. Quite frankly, the only store closings I've heard of...are stores consistently operating at a loss.

A Deficit. The thing is, in a low-volume store, you can get away with a minimal-staffing level, and still make a small profit. It's when... other problems, such as theft make things out of control for the balance sheet, that Target get's concerned and begins to look at a store differently.

One of Target's biggest assets, is brand image & recognition. Believe it or not, Target continuing to operate a store, even "under-preforming" looks good to property developers, and greatly enhances financial matters for the company when it comes to Credit & Capital. Target doesn't want to cut down stores left & right, unless they absolutely have to. Any chain that is cutting stores left & right, is heading towards bankruptcy or failure, and Target doesn't need that image in anyone's heads.

It's also worth mentioning, that Target is sometimes... boosted in certain areas. They may be receiving a incentive for operating two stores in a county/city, or may receive substantial credits for the amount of TM's being employed. I think this ways heavily in how some stores operate.

Archaic stores that have no salvageable prototype(like yours) will be on the closure lists.

Most stores built in the 90's & early 00's for the most part all have the exact same exterior... just slightly modified. In my opinion, all they need is a new coat of paint. In fact at a lot of A & B volume stores, this is all that was done, and they look GREAT.

Heck... look at most Walmart stores. Almost all of them, have minimal exterior remodeling... just a good exterior paint. They don't look dated or horrible.

I'd stay away from that store. It's a funeral waiting to happen.
Target makes a point of "inventing" positions, I'm told at nearby stores. Getting in with the company, and transferring out, isn't a bad thing either.

I don't think OP, should just toss the opportunity. Although, I can't say I've worked in a store that was super low volume.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back