Archived Register help buttons and flashing lane lights: what's the point?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For funsies, I kept track of my requests tonight. It was a six hour shift. I requested change three times. One request was acknowledged verbally. I never got any change. Luckily I was able to switch registers as I ran low. I also only had to request the GSA's help once as a customer was having problems with the buy 2 get one free on the movies. I hit the help button for the GSA who actually appeared immediately. But instead of coming over to me hopped on a register instead. I pointed out I had paged her, and had her come find me someone to help this poor customer. I think it's the first shift I haven't had to use my lane light.

So your gsa's cashier when there's a backup instead of calling for the salesfloor to come up?

Correct. Usually the GSTL/GSA will hop on (or guest service will) and sales floor generally seems to wait for verification from the GSTL/GSA that we need more backup. Honestly, I don't have any idea where my GSA/GSTL is half the time. I've seen speed weaving done once since I started in the middle of June. And whether or not anyone hops on when I hit the additional assistance button is hit or miss. Some days it's an immediate response and other days the button may as well not be there.

do you happen to know what your service scores look like? Your front end just sounds like a complete mess!

It feels like a complete mess some days. We're green...not sure of the exact number, but I know we're in about the middle of our group of stores that we're ranked with.

I would challenge your store as to why they are using both alerts and blinkers? All business walks say to use alerts and never turn on lane lights, yet you are doing both even though alerts are working? It may shave a few seconds off, but you are not following a best practice for little gain?

I don't see a problem with using the lane lights (we don't have blinkers). Even on change requests, our cashier gets a request to turn on lane light; however, we ask them to ignore that prompt and rely on the PDA. Our response time is so fast that the lights are never on for more than a few seconds anyway.

We apparently have a great team of GSA/GSTLs because all but one of us run our butts off for the full shift. We are in constant movement, from speed weaving, to collecting re-shop, to collecting hangers, to chatting up guests, to resolving pricing issues, responding to change requests, responding to Guest Service issues, calming angry guests, brand walks, pushing Red Cards and surveys. There's always that one GSTL who finds it necessary to hide in the GE office, but we cover for her butt. lol

I'm a BRTM, but have a login. I went on a break and went to the front to get a drink. The ETL asked me to get on a register cause it was busy, and I did. My change was getting low, but I figured I would just tell him when it slowed down and I was relieved. When my line was clear, they already knew my change was low!

If the GSA/GSTL is doing their job properly, they should be responding to all change requests + alerts. They should be in front of the checklanes at all times, especially when alerts are not functioning properly (outside of our control, sucks). You can always pick the phone up and call Guest Service (if you nkow the number), or call the operator (0) and tell them you need the GSTL at ____ Lane.

I tell people to always try and use help, and only do the lane light if it tells them to.

The alerts reliability has been off and on for my store... Its usually pretty apparent when it isnt working, and we always make sure to compensate by having extra presence on the front of the lanes.

This makes me realize my store is doing something seriously wrong. Help buttons rarely go through, and if they go through on my end, I'm not sure they get them. Finding the GSA/GSTL is like looking for Waldo some days. Nothing like being unable to take my break on time because I can't find the GSTL/GSA to tell them I'm going.

I really do love all of them, but I am now completely perplexed about what is going on and what should be going on.

This makes me realize my store is doing something seriously wrong. Help buttons rarely go through, and if they go through on my end, I'm not sure they get them. Finding the GSA/GSTL is like looking for Waldo some days. Nothing like being unable to take my break on time because I can't find the GSTL/GSA to tell them I'm going.

I really do love all of them, but I am now completely perplexed about what is going on and what should be going on.

Sounds like your lane leaders are MIA & not following BP.
Sure puts the "fun" in disFUNctional...

I would say this begins with your ETL. Our ETL would flip if we acted like this. We have one GSTL that insists on getting on a lane if we're backed up and she's alllways getting coached by our ETL because that is not BP. It's so interesting to me how different each of our stores are run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back