Archived Remodel TL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys!

I'll be taking a Remodel TL position for a bit, and I have no idea what to expect. I'm a GSTL now, so I'll be going over-night. I don't have much experience as far as remodeling goes, but I'm excited for the challenge. I could use the raise as well.

Any advice? Has anyone done it?

I haven't gotten a lot of it myself, but we got a store-wide remodel fairly recently. I know this one will only focus on Electronics/MMB and Home decor. Anything else you need to know that might be helpful?

Are you becoming a key carrier for it? If so it will probably involve lots of door opening and dealing with the alarm panel. If there are any third party contractors you will also have to deal with them too. The presentation TL will probably(hopefully) also be going overnight and should be managing the setting of the new planograms.

I've only been through 1 remodel and our greatest opportunity was the Remodel TL and the Plano TL being on the same page. On nights where just the remodel TL was there, it was an absolute mess because they didn't know what was going on and the entire team was basically just wandering around, moving pallets, and generally just doing busy work. There were nights where the remodel team worked out go-backs until the plano TL showed up because the remodel TL didn't know what area of the store needed to be demerch.

Know what is going on with each aisle...where it is going, what is happening to it, and when. Otherwise you're going to waste a lot of time and it'll be your fault.

Our full remodel ran overnight Sunday-Thursday, 10pm-6:30am which coincided with our pog team schedule. It was pretty sweet having every weekend off for 3 months.

Ideally your pog TL should come overnight also and the schedules should match.

Reviving this as I don’t see mention to what I’m curious about: Do Remodel TLs get keys/codes?

Yes, if they are overnight.

Depending on the remodel you may also have as much or more authority then the Remodel ETL depending on how good the general contractor is. Sometimes the Remodel ETL works overnight and the TL plays cleanup during a 4am to noon shift and in that case the TL may not get keys.

Yes, if they are overnight.

Depending on the remodel you may also have as much or more authority then the Remodel ETL depending on how good the general contractor is. Sometimes the Remodel ETL works overnight and the TL plays cleanup during a 4am to noon shift and in that case the TL may not get keys.

Thanks for the info. I’ll be Remodel TL for our store remodel, quite don’t know what to expect as I have a hunch they may be tacking on another responsibility/title for me-I’ll find out today or tomorrow. From talking to the ETL Remodel, it’s the same contractor we’ve had for a previous remodel, so it’ll be interesting to see the outcome come clean this time around.

@IcePeasant There are two main contractors that Target contacts with, and a handful of trades that are the same that travel across the country doing Target's so hopefully they mean fixture contractors, everything else really is subcontracted out and even those may have daily subcontactors, especially for things like drywall. It's your responsibility to make sure the painters and drywall people tape off product if it's not being demerched first. Product with paint drops on it will not sell. It's important to think through the maintenance that may have been missed for instance dust on light fixtures if the contractors are removing them may ruin softlines items.

To make things run smoothly you'll need to know the POG plan and the contractor plan every night and have contingency plans. Coming clean in remodel is relative as if your team is trained or mostly trained you'll have enough hours, but the stores I did remodels in have both been 90% brand new and staffing was an issue as we'd get someone in for a week or two basically on the job training only to have them leave and start the process again without any real training hours or they would end up training in a department that had nothing to do with POG.

You're essentially doing a transitional set every day with added construction. The important thing is knowing coming clean every day is relative, but you'll be expected to maintain brand so having a staging area that's at least 10X10 that won't be moved by truck unload and isn't out in a trailer is invaluable. Having dedicated steel space for fixtures really helps too. Coming clean by the weekend is really the main goal, as you're off for two days with store having to deal with how things are left. Use the remodel signs, and figure out what items you want/need to be represented on the floor vs what you can stage. You should have someone that knows how to run and plan for a POG team, but a POG team that has flexibility based on what the needs are on a daily basis. Your goal will likely be to keep both the contractors and the store unhappy (sounds silly but it's true). The hours scheduled may not line up with the contractors schedule at all so you'll need the ETL to shift hours to account for that or figure out how to work around that or you'll be touching an area twice. The contractors are going to push to finish their task faster and the store to finish the sets. Those two things are going to be at odds if you don't plan well. Plan to revisit the main plan schedule every week, and adjust according.

Last edited:
@IcePeasant There are two main contractors that Target contacts with, and a handful of trades that are the same that travel across the country doing Target's so hopefully they mean fixture contractors, everything else really is subcontracted out and even those may have daily subcontactors, especially for things like drywall. It's your responsibility to make sure the painters and drywall people tape off product if it's not being demerched first. Product with paint drops on it will not sell. It's important to think through the maintenance that may have been missed for instance dust on light fixtures if the contractors are removing them may ruin softlines items.

To make things run smoothly you'll need to know the POG plan and the contractor plan every night and have contingency plans. Coming clean in remodel is relative as if your team is trained or mostly trained you'll have enough hours, but the stores I did remodels in have both been 90% brand new and staffing was an issue as we'd get someone in for a week or two basically on the job training only to have them leave and start the process again without any real training hours or they would end up training in a department that had nothing to do with POG.

You're essentially doing a transitional set every day with added construction. The important thing is knowing coming clean every day is relative, but you'll be expected to maintain brand so having a staging area that's at least 10X10 that won't be moved by truck unload and isn't out in a trailer is invaluable. Having dedicated steel space for fixtures really helps too. Coming clean by the weekend is really the main goal, as you're off for two days with store having to deal with how things are left. Use the remodel signs, and figure out what items you want/need to be represented on the floor vs what you can stage.

This is my main concern going into it. I will be running the team and ensuring everything goes smoothly during overnight while the ETL Remodel is dayside; I don’t think we are nearly as staffed as we should be and it’s getting down to the wire. I think once I sit down and dig deeper into it with my new boss and anyone else, I would get a bigger picture of how it will be.

I don’t think we are nearly as staffed as we should be...
The only remodels I've seen staffed well are the small ones. If your district has solid communication see about pulling from other stores. You can usually get a few days from several POG trained people for a week or two especially if you have a small flex format store near you. The biggest issue if you're not staffed well POG wise will be having someone that can find fixtures in the fixture room or in an unorganized trailer.

Hey guys!

I'll be taking a Remodel TL position for a bit, and I have no idea what to expect. I'm a GSTL now, so I'll be going over-night. I don't have much experience as far as remodeling goes, but I'm excited for the challenge. I could use the raise as well.

Any advice? Has anyone done it?
Become very good friends with your contractor. I hope you get a good one. I wasn't TL, but Remodel Signing, but also had to deal with BTS/BTC in a super freaky store, with A&A 2.0 and Home. We used our own in house plano/signing team as Remodel team, while having flow team members/sales floor complete regular plano workload, as a sub plano team (except for me, I had to do signing for both :D)

We got the same general contractor we had the year prior, so we all knew him, and he was amazing and knew more than all of us.

The only remodels I've seen staffed well are the small ones. If your district has solid communication see about pulling from other stores. You can usually get a few days from several POG trained people for a week or two especially if you have a small flex format store near you. The biggest issue if you're not staffed well POG wise will be having someone that can find fixtures in the fixture room or in an unorganized trailer.
It’ll be a challenge to say the least. I’m a particular person when it comes to setting, pogs, etc and my methods and routines seem a bit “unorthodox” but I get my stuff done fast. We’ll see as I’ll be preparing for this in about two weeks or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back