Archived Repackaged/Online Item sticker scammers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a couple buying about 6 things today, a knife set, lamp, kids shoes, shampoo, and some gum. 3 of those items had either a repackaged or online item sticker over the barcode. I scanned that barcode for the items cautiously, and when I got to the shoes I definitely knew something was up. The shoes rang up as "batteries" $1.88. -_- I flipped my light on and one of the main TLs came over. I explained that the items had those stickers and they didn't match up with the products. She just told me to go along with it because the guests said "they found them that way". So I did, I just didn't feel right about the situation and I don't wanna be the one to get in trouble for it. They got a deal $10 for probably a $50 or so lamp, and $10 dollars for the knife set and $1.88 for a $20 pair of shoes. I just hate when guests try to pull this, I'm not stupid, I know what I'm doing. I also hate when people try to put clearance stickers on an item that's clearly not the item when I type in the number. It's pretty rare that I see 1 online or repackaged item come through my lane a day, let alone 3 in the same transaction. Also, those stickers are never placed over the barcode (not at my store anyway) Sorry, I just needed to vent a little. Has anyone else been in a situation like this?

It's not your product and not your money, so you shouldn't worry too much about it. Target has made it clear it's ready to accept loss to keep guests happy, and that's the companies choice. Notify AP, let them build a case if needed, but continue to honor it.

I know I'm jinxing myself

but as far as I'm aware, this doesn't happen at my store. Granted, fairly certain we don't actually sell clearance because the endcaps are practically overflowing (domestics ones were terrible where are we supposed to put these rugs)

Your TL is way too into the vibe. It is pretty suspicious that a guest purchased 3 as is items and the stickers were over the UPC. That is a big no no. The as is/repackage sticker should be on the top right corner of the item if possible and the original UPC(s) should have a vertical line through the barcode made with a sharpie to prevent the cashier from scanning it on accident. Alternately, I have taken to blocking out UPCs with a blank UPC sticker if I am repackaging the item, it looks cleaner IMO.

Next time, if your TL blows it off, after the guest leaves your lane; write down the date, time, register # and transaction amount and give the info to AP when you can. My AP team at my store is very serious about ticket switching, as it is stealing.

Oh, also, if you hit "price inquiry" and scan the "as is" sticker, the DPCI should come up on the screen as well as the description. If the item was ticket switched, then the DPCI wouldn't match when you price inquire the UPC barcode.

I've only had something like that happen once on the register.
Had a woman buy about a half dozen shirts with clearance stickers covering the upc's. Keyed in the dpci's and noticed right off the bat the brands didn't match. On top of that, she wanted an additional 50 percent off the fraudulent 30 percent because "the sign said so."

Called the GSTL over and he told me to just accept it and price adjust.

I had someone buy a 90 dollar comforter for 30. The sticker dpci did not match the item, but the ETL approved it. I'm sure that guest will be a return player after a deal like that.

Two feelings about it: 1) Target shouldn't be so easily con'd into switched stickers. Logic says if the sticker doesn't match then tell the guest and sell it for the real price. Target makes it too easy for shady guests.
2) However if Target wants to please the guest then let the guests play games. I don't see switching stickers as stealing if Target allows guests to do it. Giving the guest the product for a much lower price doesn't make sticker switching stealing. Maybe unethical but not stealing.

It's obvious when the sticker doesn't match the product. Correct the mistake and people will know Target doesn't fuck around. The guests Target wants aren't sticker switchers.

I have seen items on the floor with Repackage stickers over the UPC code (on the bottom or back of the product.) Often it is a guest service tm - or someone helping out at guest service due to a backed up line - that is ticketing them incorrectly.

So, it could be an internal issue (from either a lack of training, or just plan ol' internal theft) or it could be ticket switching by the guest.

ETA: Like pp said, I usually tell AP when something strange happens. That was she can get a good look at the guests via the cameras, and maybe start building a case.

Ticket, ot sticker, switching is indeed theft, and your team lead should have called AP over.
I am getting really fed up with Target just rolling over and allowing people to blatantly get away with theft and fraud. I don't know if its the new CEO or what, but Target is losing a huge amount of money by allowing people to do this shit. Just last night someone no-receipt returned $250 worth of crest white strips and there wasn't anything I could do.

Ticket switching is fraud. Our store has apprehended people for it if they see them physically make the switch.

As non ap tms we are told to thread lightly though on questioning guests about wrong tickets on items. If you push too much it could be consider accusing a guest of theft/fraud, especially if they indeed did not do it themselves.

Best thing is to call ap and let them handle it. If the guest knows they were doing something shady usually they will just leave when they see AP come over.

Ticket switching is fraud. Our store has apprehended people for it if they see them physically make the switch.

As non ap tms we are told to thread lightly though on questioning guests about wrong tickets on items. If you push too much it could be consider accusing a guest of theft/fraud, especially if they indeed did not do it themselves.

Best thing is to call ap and let them handle it. If the guest knows they were doing something shady usually they will just leave when they see AP come over.

As a GSA when I deny an obvious switched sticker I always say something along the lines of "Sorry, it looks as if someone switched the sticker. I apologize for the inconvenience, but someone else must have tried to switch the price and put it back. I can sell it to you for it's regular price though." I never say or even hint that the person in front of me did it.

The way my store tries to combat repackage/online fraud is twofold.
  • When the GSTM blocks out the barcode in marker, they do it with their initials (yes, anyone could put initials on there, if they ever figured it out, but they haven't yet, and our SD has stayed the same for months.)
  • CLR/Repackage/Online Item stickers are only placed in the top right corner of the item or a few inches to the right or left of the barcode, dependent on the barcode's placement on the box, if the top right corner is not feasible. Nobody can markdown or SIM out any items without being "trained" on where to put the stickers and how to arrange them so that we know it's genuine. The exception is anything SCTY in electronics, cases and such. The ticket can be placed anywhere on the product so long as the product is in a case. The only way to ticket-switch a cased item is to put the sticker ON the case, which is an automatic red flag.
And as RG said, the tickets are usually easy to tell if they've been removed thanks to their design. My store uses this to our advantage by just reprinting a ticket if the ticket gets messed up. "Clean clearance, clean store" my STL says. Although they stick "Clean (whatever), clean store" so the phrase is not that important or motivating.

"Oh no it looks like someone played a mean joke on you and switched the ticket! I can take down the time, date and the item and our security team can go back over the tapes to try and catch the jerk that did such a messed up thing, but unfortunately I have to sell the item at full retail price. You don't want it? Oh, okay...."

Your TL is way too into the vibe. It is pretty suspicious that a guest purchased 3 as is items and the stickers were over the UPC. That is a big no no. The as is/repackage sticker should be on the top right corner of the item if possible and the original UPC(s) should have a vertical line through the barcode made with a sharpie to prevent the cashier from scanning it on accident. Alternately, I have taken to blocking out UPCs with a blank UPC sticker if I am repackaging the item, it looks cleaner IMO.

Next time, if your TL blows it off, after the guest leaves your lane; write down the date, time, register # and transaction amount and give the info to AP when you can. My AP team at my store is very serious about ticket switching, as it is stealing.
Or...not care.

Life is easier that way.

I had a couple buying about 6 things today, a knife set, lamp, kids shoes, shampoo, and some gum. 3 of those items had either a repackaged or online item sticker over the barcode. I scanned that barcode for the items cautiously, and when I got to the shoes I definitely knew something was up. The shoes rang up as "batteries" $1.88. -_- I flipped my light on and one of the main TLs came over. I explained that the items had those stickers and they didn't match up with the products. She just told me to go along with it because the guests said "they found them that way". So I did, I just didn't feel right about the situation and I don't wanna be the one to get in trouble for it. They got a deal $10 for probably a $50 or so lamp, and $10 dollars for the knife set and $1.88 for a $20 pair of shoes. I just hate when guests try to pull this, I'm not stupid, I know what I'm doing. I also hate when people try to put clearance stickers on an item that's clearly not the item when I type in the number. It's pretty rare that I see 1 online or repackaged item come through my lane a day, let alone 3 in the same transaction. Also, those stickers are never placed over the barcode (not at my store anyway) Sorry, I just needed to vent a little. Has anyone else been in a situation like this?
Did you inform AP? this is clearly fraud.

It's not your product and not your money, so you shouldn't worry too much about it. Target has made it clear it's ready to accept loss to keep guests happy, and that's the companies choice. Notify AP, let them build a case if needed, but continue to honor it.
Don't continue to honor it. It's clearly fraud. You can legally be arrested. I charged team Memebers at my store for letting this stuff gone though without approval from the GSA, TL or LOD

I hate when guests do that. They get all nasty and play dumb like I didn't know ( ya right) one time I actually had a ETL ( he's gone now) and he actually gave it to them ( I was like are you serious??) and it was a pretty hefty price too we weren't talking the under 20.00 rule. I hate scammers......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back