Archived Reporting TM's not doing their jobs or breaking rules to LOD/ETL

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrontEndFirecracker

Vibe Machine
I'm a new GSA, so I'm still trying to find my place in the store as a supervisory TM. Whether I am scheduled as GSA or SD, there is usually something that another TM does that warrants a coaching, or at the very least - a chat about.

Example:
- Market TM refuses to take QMOS items back to dairy, even though it's part of their core roles. His response to me at the SD was "I don't give a **** if it's my job - Target doesn't pay me enough for this ****".
- The same market TM consistently breaks our store policy and goes out the door in TSC (the one we come in and leave from before open and after close)
- Electronics TM mouthed off to a guest that was having a red card issue while I was GSA, and I just told him to walk away, gave the guest some apology coupons, took $5 off his purchase, and asked the guest to fill out the survey to let the store leaders know about his experience (he said he would mention both the electronics TM name and my name for resolving it for him). Especially with this "say yes to the guest" thing now, the TM was definitely in the wrong.

I mentioned all of these to the LOD at the time, and I feel sort of like a tattle-tale, but if some of us have to follow the rules, then we all have to follow the rules. I don't want to come off as a kiss-ass, but I want to make sure people are held accountable for their decisions and actions so guests have a better experience.
Was I wrong for mentioning these things to the LOD?

You're in a tough position as a GSA and a new person in the position.
The GSA because it's halfassed position of being a GSTL without the pay or authority (forgive me all GSA friends on the board but enough of you have described it the same way).
Being new because you don't have the other TMs respect yet or know where to blur the lines.

Following the rules is important but like in the series MASH (the analogy might not help if you've never seen the show, so maybe House), you have to know which ones are worth going to the boss about.
Rules are there to keep things running smoothly and make sure people aren't doing things that could endanger each other.
If it's something that could cause death, dismembership, needs the attention of AP, could drive away guests (somebody needs to talk to your Electronics TM , maybe his TL) etc. by all means let the LOD know and make sure there is followup.

Not doing the jobs also falls into the category of, does it effect your department, is there food rotting up front (the guy needs to pull the QMOS that's all there is to it), but sometimes talking to the LOD isn't going to get you the results you need.
A quiet word to their TL might get you results you need, faster and without fuss.
See more than anything else what you want is results, not punishment.

Last edited:
Good point @consumed TL
Always document what you report.
When you have a confrontation with someone write down the details.
Every. Damn. Time.
Other wise it will come down to their word against yours and having a piece of paper in your hand gives you a heck of an advantage.
The email to your boss is a great idea as well.

Report the incidents to the TLs and ETLs. If you have other TMs as witnesses, have them report it as well. Thats all you can do.

Our TLs get tired of hearing about things days after the fact. If they aren't in the building, they want you to go to the LOD.

The QMOS one I may or may not let slide depending on the TM,the day, and how much it is.
Going in and out the TSC door, I would ignore, unless there is some serious reason they should not do this (in our store, it's a fire door so it is not used, period). I would file that under not my domain/problem.
The electronics issue, you bet, I would have let leadership know about that immediately, as that is your problem and all guest issues need to be taken care of. That said, I probably wouldn't have pushed the survey, as I have found resolving problems in store is a better way to go. The DTL will read the survey results and see there is an issue. If there is a pattern, or even not, there is now a red flag to the DTL there is a problem there. That invites more eyes and potential visits, which no one really wants.

Note on the electronics incident the OP described: You could ask the guest to fill out a guest comment cart up at the front lanes and pass it along to your (or their) team leader. That's what we do. It's written feedback from the guest that addresses that team member specifically, and according to my TL, that can be used to get some corrective action or coaching going.

In the past, I would tell my fellow minions to tell the LOD if they had any problems with other team members but now I don't. I tell them that they should only really talk to an LOD if it's something serious like a crime is happening or someone is hurt and/or dying. If it's none of those, just keep it yourself. The ETLS at Target go off script and will do whatever they can to silence you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back